Do cats eat less when its warmer

dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My nearly 1 year old cats the last few days while its been warmer haven't been eating as much food. When I get home from work, their bowls have still had a bit of food in. They have free access to wet food and biscuits when I am out at work, as well as water, and the cat flap is open so they can come and go as they please.

I am certain they aren't ill as they are behaving exactly as they normally would. They've been drinking a little bit more, but I guess that's down to it being warmer.

Does their appetite decrease when its warmer? I've not changed their food or anything (they both have different food, so I buy the same food every week - they won't eat the cheap stuff the toerags and they never turn down cooked chicken if I offer it, even these last few days :D )

Wondered if because it was warmer, they aren't so hungry because they don't need to keep their body temperature up so much?

Any advice or experiences? :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    yes generally food consumption goes down in the spring/summer - but it may also be that they are too busy to eat, there are plenty of little creatures and nests to explore and find at the moment, my boy is never in!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    Possibly they may be getting furballs which might damper their appetites a bit
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The weather over the last few days means they're not bored enough to eat - my two are 6 now and they're barely indoors at all at the moment, too busy outside! If they're indoors they eat non stop. So please don't worry, it's perfectly normal!
  • CitizenofPhobosCitizenofPhobos Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine rarely eats a lot in the summer so yes I think it's normal.
  • dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone, as they're my first cats, i'm still learning about them :)

They've eaten more normally in the last 24 hours, and i'm sure its cos the temperature has dropped again.
  • xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it is linked to the temperature, do you notice yourself that when it's cold out, you tend to feel a little more hungry?

not sure of the exact figure, but around 70% (possibly more) of the energy provided by food consumed by mammals is used to maintain body temperature

maybe an odd one, but an example i can give is outdoor pig farms.
    In winter they go through tons of food every day, most of this is just utilised to keep the pigs body temperature up, and very little body mass is gained. - not ideal from a production standpoint.

this is why they don't tend to rear their pigs to slaughter weight outdoors as it's just not economical on a large scale, much cheaper to keep them in heated barns to fatten hem up as a lot less of the energy form the food they eat is utilised to maintain body temperature, and they therefore add body mass much more quickly.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Food digestion increases body temperature...that's how animals keep warm in the cold...when it's warmer there's no need to eat as much. Sorted.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish someone would tell Bookend she is supposed to be a cat and eat less in warm weather, her sister Gizmo is a cats cat but Bookie seems to be a foodie