Comments

• James2001James2001 Posts: 73,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1993-1997 to be exact
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last night I went through an old tape that's got a recording on ITV Nightscreen on it (from back in the days it was made up of teletext pages) and one of the things on it was the Chart Show Extra pages. I found it funny when the one I have on video has the charts from the 2/5/98 edition that was shown on The Vault a few weeks back. Obviously just a co-incidence, but it amused me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got an email back from The Vault. He says the intended episode was 1991 Episode 41 (which I've worked out as October 12th, though I might be wrong. I'll be sitting there with the guiness book of hit singles again anyway to be sure) and there will be a Double bill next Saturday- the one that was supposed to go out this week, and next week's episode. I won't be at home on Saturday morning though, so won't see that.
  • Gaz.BazGaz.Baz Posts: 1,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Ray Cokes Rules (I agree – he does!)

With regards to Saturdays Classic Chart Show episode... our scheduling team had a very bad weekend and I am not very happy with them at all - don't want to bore you with the details but when I checked the schedule it looked for all intents and purposes like a new episode (1991, ep. 41) but played the previously shown episode. I'll play the right one on Thursday at 5pm and do a double bill this Saturday for anyone who missed the Thursday repeat... so there will be a 'new' show at 11am and then another at midday on Saturday... and I promise to make sure it's exactly right!

If you could let everyone on the forums know, and apologise on my behalf that would be absolutely great - I've told a few other folks too so hopefully word will get out about next Saturday

Sorry if we spoiled your weekend,

matt

nice one thanks Matt

now all we need is a few different episodes a week or a double bill every saturday

would make my weekend :)
  • ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers for the info. Missed it on Sat, so was waiting for the repeat. Now I don't need to bother :-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gaz.Baz wrote:
    nice one thanks Matt

now all we need is a few different episodes a week or a double bill every saturday

would make my weekend :)

Exactally same email I got. Presumably he wrote up a standard one to send out to everyone (makes more sense than writing a new one each time).

Obviously though, the only reason it's a double bill is because they're showing the episode they were meant to last week. But I do agree, it would be nice to have more than one episode a week, but I'm happy as it is anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just seen a trailer for this week's show- looks like it's the 14/2/1998 edition, with a special "Love Chart" voted by the viewers. I think I can remember that, though can't remember what was in it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what date was tonights episode

was it week 41 still from 1991?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, it was. 12/10/1991. This episode shows just how their chart differed from the official chart. Bryan Adams was shown as being at Number 3, when he was still at number one (and was for another month after this point).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing I also found intriguing about this week's show was the bit at the end where they told people to buy Amiga magazine for a competition to redesign the shows icons. The show's graphics relaunched the following month, I wonder if they were considering changing the icons as part of it. Of course, they didn't actually change them- they were still using them until April 1996.
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why was their chart often spectacularly wrong? CD:UK were much closer to the real chart
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They compiled it themselves from their own sample of record shops, also it was missing a full day's worth of sales.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    great double bill of Classic Itv Chart Show on The Vauly today

it really is brilliant to watch and relive great music

the second episode is still on Channel 356 on sky if anyone watchs to catch the end

brilliant stuff
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was the second episode a repeat of Thursday's or not? As I'm not at home today, I haven't been able to watch it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yep was the same as thursday James
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found this on Wikipedia:

"In 1997, The Verve had refused to allow the Chart Show to show the video for their single Lucky Man. When the song was mentioned in the top ten and in the indie chart, a message was shown on the screen explaining that they refused to let the video appear on the show, unless the ITV Chart Show logo was changed."

WTF? And what did HUD stand for?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote:
    One thing I also found intriguing about this week's show was the bit at the end where they told people to buy Amiga magazine for a competition to redesign the shows icons. The show's graphics relaunched the following month, I wonder if they were considering changing the icons as part of it. Of course, they didn't actually change them- they were still using them until April 1996.

You know I have that issue in my pile in the loft. I think the mag was called Amiga Computing International. The Chart Show graphics were on the front cover.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could you scan the related bits, please?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a look earlier. I've got a funny feeling I may have put that with the rest of my Amiga mags in the recycle bin but I seem to recall I kept that particular one though. I will have another look but don't get your hopes up just in case.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to show you something I've made myself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRuuMK4KTeo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZICuQ0KUTI

BTW, Gaz, I've sent you a PM.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like June 6th 1992 today. Are we ever going to get any 1993-95 eps?

BTW Gaz, please reply to my PM.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    I guess a way of showing those episodes without the Twix sponsors would be to use the 1991-1993 titles instead as most of the stings from the December 1991 relaunch were kept until 1996.

I can remember being rather surprised when the show relaunched in May 1996 and the announcer said that the Chart Show was celebrating it's 10th anniversary unaware that it used to be on Channel 4!
    Everything became a bit more clear when the Guide supplement in the Guardian had an feature going behind the scenes which I think had brief interviews with Keith Macmillan and Phil Davey.
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hopefully there will be some other years broadcast soon, as sticking to just 1991, 1992, 1997 and 1998 is going to get a bit tiresome fairly quickly. I would love to see some shows from 1993-1996 and in the long run, if the repeats are successful and can justify the costs of transferring old episodes, a showing of some vintage episodes from the 80s.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So far we've had 3 eps each from 1991 & 1992, 2 from 1996, 97 and 98 and none from any other year. Does anyone actually have a copy of the 1993-96 era graphics, and would be it easy or hard to obscure (or cut) the Twix graphics? I only have vague memories of the graphics myself, having not seen them for nearly 11 years. From the 1992 era, they just blur the Pepe logo, and they cut off half the titles and the break stings to remove the Twix logos from the 1996 editions. The Chart Show was quite unique in having the sponsorship as actually part of the titles, apart from the ITV Weather, I can't think of any other show where this has been the case.

I can also remember the day of the 1996 relaunch. I gues it was quite a shock, as it was very different from any of the show's other graphics. And they retired the Amiga! Though, to be fair, it was looking dated long before 1996.
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ah, I've missed the 1996 episodes, I only started watching the repeats a few weeks ago.

If they could show the 1993-95 episodes, they could eventually show the programme in some sort of date order by showing a programme from this particular week in the past. They'd have enough years to be able to do this if they had the full 1991- Aug 1998 run.