why is MDNA hated so much?

sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I love this album for me it's much better than hard candy.
It's the album she should have released after confessions.
hardly a bad track on there yet people seem to slate it.
I wonder if it will end up like erotica being appreciated years later.

Comments

• SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm no fan but as far as I can see Madonna used to be a trend setter, but now she just jumps on whatever bandwagon is current in vogue.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the old instance in which the artist is better than the material and as the above poster said she used to be a trendsetter and both HC and MDNA whilst in principal are good albums but f for her they're weaker counterparts to the far superior and forward thinking music she has released overtime. its like a physical representation to some of her decline and desperation to cling to all things youth and on trend.

I like the album its sonically interesting some nice idea's just a bit generic and not altotgether much different to what others are doing and its disapointing as i was expecting and hoping for more but Masterpiece, Falling Free, Gnag Bang, Beautiful Killer, I ****ed Up.Love Spent all interesting and fantastic tracks the rest i can take or leave.
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sparkle22 wrote: »
    I love this album for me it's much better than hard candy.
    It's the album she should have released after confessions.
    hardly a bad track on there yet people seem to slate it.
    I wonder if it will end up like erotica being appreciated years later.

Great to hear love for the album. I think it's very underrated. I get so tired of people saying she's jumping on a bandwagon and following trends just because she does dance music when she has always been a dance influenced artist from her first album.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like mentioned above she is just mimicking the sound that is currently popular.

If she was a crisp she'd be Ready Salted.
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The real reason people hate it is some people don't like Madonna and also people naturally get tired of someone who has been around as long as Madonna, and are more interested in newer artists. People just repeat what the media tells them that she is following trends, jumping on bandwagons etc. Yes, dance music is "in" right now, but she has always had a dance influenced sound and clearly loves electronic music, so why should she change to something else merely because some people have decided dance and electronic music is a "trend".
  • rebellionrebellion Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    Well, for a number of reasons I guess
    • After 'Hard Candy' also being slated, people thought she was going to make a really massive comeback with a mature sound and a new image, but 'MDNA' was just an improved and more electro version of 'HC'
    • When it was announced William Orbit was going to work with her again, people expected 'ROL' 2.0. and 'MDNA' doesn't come close.
    • After her long feud with GaGa, people expected that she was going to come back to claim the throne and show the other popstars how it's done. And she simply didn't.
    • None of the songs sounded horrible, but none of them pushed the envelope either and there's not a single track on that album that can be remembered as a Madonna classic. Even 'Hard Candy' gave the fans a memorable track ('4 Minutes')

It's by no means a bad album, but it's not up to par with her previous work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O.Michel wrote: »
    Well, for a number of reasons I guess
    • After 'Hard Candy' also being slated, people thought she was going to make a really massive comeback with a mature sound and a new image, but 'MDNA' was just an improved and more electro version of 'HC'
    • When it was announced William Orbit was going to work with her again, people expected 'ROL' 2.0. and 'MDNA' doesn't come close.
    • After her long feud with GaGa, people expected that she was going to come back to claim the throne and show the other popstars how it's done. And she simply didn't.
    • None of the songs sounded horrible, but none of them pushed the envelope either and there's not a single track on that album that can be remembered as a Madonna classic. Even 'Hard Candy' gave the fans a memorable track ('4 Minutes')

It's by no means a bad album, but it's not up to par with her previous work.

Exactly there was a huge expectation and it just did not deliver on any level it's just a very weaks album overall not a bad album but certainely a weak one HC was not the best but it was alot stronger overall. As for dance being on trend right now yes it is and yes Madonna has always done dance msuic but dance music that pushed the envelope and help create and rrecreate the genre time and again this album did not do that and sounde like so much else on the charts nothing to do with a medi backlash just cold hard truth.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I don't think it's hated. I certainly don't hate it. I'm mainly just disappointed at how the whole album performed. No promotion, badly charting singles, little media interest etc. It just stands out as a blot on an otherwise pretty amazing career. It's her only album not to provide her with a decent hit single and it's a shame.

However, I do partly blame her and her management. Hopefully for her next album she will realise that in these ages she can not sell albums + songs on name alone. She needs to promote! Her tour was amazing, but the fact people didn't know the MDNA songs meant that for over half the show the crowd were just standing and waiting for a song they knew.
  • Just VogueJust Vogue Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that both MDNA and Hard Candy were given a very unfair reception.

I didn't actually see much hate for the actual content on MDNA, more so about the lack of promotion and the poor chart performance which means that some assumed the album it self was poor. The problem was with the handling of the album. I didn't see any promotion at all for the album, no performances, appearances, nothing...

Give Me All Your Luvin' is among her worst songs and I have absolutely no idea what they were thinking by releasing that as a single or even including it on the album. Clearly they wanted something upbeat to use at the Superbowl and she should have either written a song directly for the superbowl or used Turn Up The Radio, I'm Addicted or Girl Gone Wild. It's such a shame that she never released Gang Bang but I'm glad in some ways as they would have butchered it on the radio... The less said about the disastrous half-release of Masterpiece the better.

I think it's possible that the album was released at the wrong time of year tbh. I think a late summer/early autumn release would have been much more favorable but I guess they wanted to scoop up as much recognition from the superbowl as possible.

My only problem with Hard Candy was that the RnB influence made it all slightly jarring... it just didn't seem Madonna in some places and quite a few of the songs went on for far too long (Give it 2 Me and Incredible) . But it's good she tried it out. Could have done without all the collabs though. It was always going to be hard to follow up Confessions so that might be why there was quite a lot of backlash...
  • PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just Vogue wrote: »
    I think that both MDNA and Hard Candy were given a very unfair reception.

I didn't actually see much hate for the actual content on MDNA, more so about the lack of promotion and the poor chart performance which means that some assumed the album it self was poor. The problem was with the handling of the album. I didn't see any promotion at all for the album, no performances, appearances, nothing...

Give Me All Your Luvin' is among her worst songs and I have absolutely no idea what they were thinking by releasing that as a single or even including it on the album. Clearly they wanted something upbeat to use at the Superbowl and she should have either written a song directly for the superbowl or used Turn Up The Radio, I'm Addicted or Girl Gone Wild. It's such a shame that she never released Gang Bang but I'm glad in some ways as they would have butchered it on the radio... The less said about the disastrous half-release of Masterpiece the better.

I think it's possible that the album was released at the wrong time of year tbh. I think a late summer/early autumn release would have been much more favorable but I guess they wanted to scoop up as much recognition from the superbowl as possible.

My only problem with Hard Candy was that the RnB influence made it all slightly jarring... it just didn't seem Madonna in some places and quite a few of the songs went on for far too long (Give it 2 Me and Incredible) . But it's good she tried it out. Could have done without all the collabs though. It was always going to be hard to follow up Confessions so that might be why there was quite a lot of backlash...

I might be wrong but I seem to remember at the time that GMAYL was made for the superbowl performance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont feel MDNA is a "hated" album...on the contrary it is actually very good and all round has a decent/positive reception overall...the main sources of criticism have been spoken on here beforehand so i dont need to reiterate.

Overall i think the album is great, it meshes together 16 songs and each are different to one another (i love variation)....but, the album i feel had no succinct flow...there was no concept behind it...it was an album that

a) got Madonna herself to exorcise personal demons from her divorce (I Dont give a, gang bang, Love spent, i f-d up, best friend, falling free) and also mash up sounds and express a happier/fun dynamic too (some girls, im addicted, superstar, Radio, Luvin)

b) it got her to stick by her "mainly new material on tour" strategy to allow for Live Nation to get her on tour as soon as...shes a massive money earner for them!

c) it gave fans new material as soon as after a 4 year wait and coincided with the Superbowl, W.E release, frangrance launch and promoted the tour...

BUT where did it go wrong? the lack of any physical promo...even the Superbowl had ZERO mention of MDNA, it marketed the world tour. And it was release late March...the tour was 7 weeks after the album release....that is no time at all to sustain the album!

Plus it sounded like many wanted MDNA to be a variety of different things....Madonna NEVER retreads the same ground the same way ever....i personally do not want her to do "Like A Prayer 2.0" "Erotica 2.0" "Ray Of Light 2.0" "Music 2.0" "True Blue 2.0" but yet so so many did anticipate these things and more because.....Madonna herself set that standard so high 30 years across her legacy.

Now...rant over....i do feel that the strongest material on MDNA (Love Spent, Beautiful Killer, Some girls, Im Addicted, Masterpiece) will help her to branch out for album 13....set out a new sound/reinvention and dynamic to show the world...I am Madonna...this is what i do etc.

And with a tour like MDNA was...she still has that spirit and influence for art there like always...she just needs to bring it to the recording studio(s) and conceptualise and spend time on a Madonna ALbum :cool:

We will watch this space :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Piipp wrote: »
    I might be wrong but I seem to remember at the time that GMAYL was made for the superbowl performance.

Yeah it was created for SUperbowl later on....originally it was a fun chanty song....but then it was announced she was to headline the halftime show so them Luvin Interscope pushed as the lead single we can presume....although i think we can all tell Madonna didnt want it so....i mean you can tell Minaj and MIA were pushed unto Madonna by Interscope....so M then of course garnered MIA and Minaj on two of her own songs (I Dont give a..., and B day song) to "make ends meet"

Again, collabs...i think it proved with the ratings that people buy Madonna songs because its MADONNA not because a rent-a-rapper is on it...i do feel album 13...unless for creative reasons of course...Madonna should be sole vocalist on her material throughout.

That is where its at.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with you JP it was a neccessary album for so many reasons new material needed and money to be spun for her and the project suffed from a few flows there was no real backing or force behind it it was just put out there and left to kind of wallow in its own mass of deflated hype and luke warm receptions from all corners fans and media alike. As for collabs again had she really been in the place for it MIA and her could ahve cooked up a storm two forward thinking talented ladies should have done amazinf things but alas. Hopefull its a lesson learned yes she is Madonna but she needs to promote and be invested and realise that fro the first time in a long time no matter how they last others are dominating and mostly females exceling above and beyond her she needs to bring put the old Madonna and mold it to the currnt musical climate and she will no doubt excel again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    I felt cheated. I bought the album expecting something fresh and deep. It was just so much electro, beat heavy, empty dance tracks for my liking. It just felt like any artist could have released it, instead of the distinct Madonna sound and messages that all her previous work gave off.

Having said that, there are three saving graces for me, Falling Free, Turn up the Radio and one of her best, Masterpiece. Genuinely Masterpiece is just such a..well, masterpiece. Such deep lyrics and a fresh sound.
  • Ally_BowieAlly_Bowie Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gang Bang & Masterpiece aside, i personally think its a dreadful record, initially the hype, the title, the artwork, and the lead single made the album seem really promising, but i felt for the first time as a fan after listening to MDNA this was just a half arsed effort. Each to their own though and respect to those who like it, i think in everyone's eyes most artists has that obligatory "Shit Record" in their repertoire and for me this is Madonna's doesn't change the fact she is and always will be amazing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    I agree with you JP it was a neccessary album for so many reasons new material needed and money to be spun for her and the project suffed from a few flows there was no real backing or force behind it it was just put out there and left to kind of wallow in its own mass of deflated hype and luke warm receptions from all corners fans and media alike. As for collabs again had she really been in the place for it MIA and her could ahve cooked up a storm two forward thinking talented ladies should have done amazinf things but alas. Hopefull its a lesson learned yes she is Madonna but she needs to promote and be invested and realise that fro the first time in a long time no matter how they last others are dominating and mostly females exceling above and beyond her she needs to bring put the old Madonna and mold it to the currnt musical climate and she will no doubt excel again.

Totally, I mean MDNA has great variation and some solid pulsating and punchy songs...but it is AWOL but i think of this year as a "fan year" i mean 2.1million tickets were sold for her tour, 1.6million copies of MDNA were sold globally on name alone....she got three number 1s on the Dance chart in the US and had a general positive (if not excellent, acclaim, praise, lauding) in general towards the material.....its just a question of time and effort invested in the project.

And also this era was more than obvious...W.E was the main source of artistic channeling (hence the promo for it on the road with supporting cast/red carpet movie screenings etc) and then the world tour/Truth Or Dare investments (again TOD had red carpet moments as promo) and the tour saw her most ingenius moments in a while...performance and otherwise...a very artistic tour and love letter to the past 30 years.

Now its a question of....where can she push next musically? what themes will she craft? how will she promote it? and the fact she kinda needs to regroup with something exciting and big in scale (or ultimately big-er) to make a contemporary defining record.

By what has been speculated...she is reteaming with Stuart price (American Life and of course Confessions) who himself is exploring other Dance/Rock ventures (exciting!) and rumours of "an iconic producer Madonna always wanted to work with" (Quincey Jones is a name that has come up a couple times) But news will ammount soon this year definitely :)

And yes MIA....talk about actual MIA! I was hoping for an alternative/indie vibe song with her on board can you imagine? :/ neverminded.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    I think MDNA has both some of Madonna's best songs, and some of her worst, but overall it seems rushed, and I even think Orbit said it had been and that they hadn't had enough time to make the songs better.
    I really like I'm Addicted and Beautiful Killer, but Some Girls and Superstar are dreadfuldreadfuldreadfuldreadful.
  • EatitLosersEatitLosers Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    The real reason people hate it is some people don't like Madonna and also people naturally get tired of someone who has been around as long as her, and are more interested in newer artists. People just repeat what the media tells them that she is following trends, jumping on bandwagons etc. Yes, dance music is "in" right now, but she has always had a dance influenced sound and clearly loves electronic music, so why should she change to something else merely because some people have decided dance and electronic music is a "trend".

The main reason is definitely good old fashioned ageism.

At the time of MDNA release, there was a torrent of abuse towards her for making music that was "too young for her".
    I'm convinced that if it had been recorded by an artist like say..Katy Perry....or Rihanna, then a lot of people would have connected to it more than they did. Personally, I think it's nowhere near Madonna's best, but if you look at it as a stand alone album, it's very good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally, I mean MDNA has great variation and some solid pulsating and punchy songs...but it is AWOL but i think of this year as a "fan year" i mean 2.1million tickets were sold for her tour, 1.6million copies of MDNA were sold globally on name alone....she got three number 1s on the Dance chart in the US and had a general positive (if not excellent, acclaim, praise, lauding) in general towards the material.....its just a question of time and effort invested in the project.

And also this era was more than obvious...W.E was the main source of artistic channeling (hence the promo for it on the road with supporting cast/red carpet movie screenings etc) and then the world tour/Truth Or Dare investments (again TOD had red carpet moments as promo) and the tour saw her most ingenius moments in a while...performance and otherwise...a very artistic tour and love letter to the past 30 years.

Now its a question of....where can she push next musically? what themes will she craft? how will she promote it? and the fact she kinda needs to regroup with something exciting and big in scale (or ultimately big-er) to make a contemporary defining record.

By what has been speculated...she is reteaming with Stuart price (American Life and of course Confessions) who himself is exploring other Dance/Rock ventures (exciting!) and rumours of "an iconic producer Madonna always wanted to work with" (Quincey Jones is a name that has come up a couple times) But news will ammount soon this year definitely :)

And yes MIA....talk about actual MIA! I was hoping for an alternative/indie vibe song with her on board can you imagine? :/ neverminded.

Exactly i think she was more invested in other projects and alot crossed over with each other and the timing wasn't great and inevitably something had to suffer.

I don't think this is the end of Madonna she has been down before but with she needs to come out with a stormer of an album very much her whilst hopefully introducing new fans there is definitely a few good albums left in her.
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    I think the album is good but not great.

She didn't do enough publicity for the album, she should have promoted it more, IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    Exactly i think she was more invested in other projects and alot crossed over with each other and the timing wasn't great and inevitably something had to suffer.

I don't think this is the end of Madonna she has been down before but with she needs to come out with a stormer of an album very much her whilst hopefully introducing new fans there is definitely a few good albums left in her.

Remember her reaction to when her ex Ritchie told her Confessions got to number one in America after her radio blacklisting (due to politics involved with AL) and with that also set a world record with the album too (and still holds it) and she cried for 20 mins and drank champagne for the first time in years :cool:

I definitely think she has another masterpiece to give the world...i just cannot wait to hear what she does next :)
  • LMLM Posts: 63,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't class as Hated

People apparently hated Erotica and American Life. I am sure in years to come, it will get a resurgance of love years after it's release.
  • Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because she released the worst songs as singles!
  • hello.memberhello.member Posts: 7,635
    Forum Member
    Because she released the worst songs as singles!
    Oh I don't know, I quite liked Girl Gone Wild :o Guilty pleasure!