Les Miserables

Comments

• mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,909
    Forum Member
    ^ GOOSEBUMPS! :eek:
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The performance was great, though One Day More was so badly cut!!! I'm pretty sure CZJ got to sing all of All That Jazz (badly) :rolleyes:

And Anne didn't really get to do IDAD at all!

So pleased she won though, and her speech was lovely, especially the reference to Fantine at the end.

And it was nice to see all the cast sitting together - saw Sam and Russell behind Hugh when the camera was on him during the Best Actor award presentation. Completely different to the Golden Globes where some of them were at the back of the room and others not even there!
  • maddiesdoormaddiesdoor Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Congrats to all and especially Anne!
  • jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congrats Anne! Well deserved!
  • ImOnlyWeeImOnlyWee Posts: 11,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Congrats Anne!
    Love the performance aswell!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought Russell sounded really good. From thinking he was the worst Javert ever, I now think he's one of the best. His acting is fantastic and although his vocals aren't as brilliant as say Samantha Barks, Eddie Tremayne and Aaron Tveit (They are the best vocalists IMO (discounting Anne, who stole the film with IDAD)) he gets inside the role of Javert and I thought he was excellent last night.
    His performance impresses me more with each time I watch it.

Still cringe at Sasha Baron Cohen. :( Terrible casting, Alun Armstrong would have knocked it out of the water.

Maddie, have you got the book yet? The DVD has been set back until next Tuesday. :cry:
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree about Russell, tally. I thought he played Javert excellently.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tally wrote: »

Maddie, have you got the book yet? The DVD has been set back until next Tuesday. :cry:

No I don't :cry: It was due to arrive today but hasn't shown up at all! I wish I was here to have received it last week (upon first delivery). Hoping it arrives tomorrow now. I'm really looking forward to it. I love behind the scenes stuff especially.

If the DVD is worth getting then I will buy it for sure!

Next on my list is the complete soundtrack and of course, the DVD. I cannot wait for the special features, hope they show behind the scenes of how certain scenes were done like the beginning in the river/ocean and Fantine singing 'IDAD' etc. I love that sort of stuff.
  • kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Oscars medley was amazing... truly amazing.. I think I was in tears at the end of it (and I like Russell Crowe's singing in it as well!)

The Les Mis medley and Streisand singing made this one of the best Oscar ceremonies ever for me!
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Track listing for the deluxe edition of the soundtrack: http://www.myplaydirect.com/les-miserables-soundtrack/les-mis-rables-the-motion-picture-soundtrack-deluxe/details/28058067

I'm a newbie to Les Mis, well relative to most posters on this thread, so I can't say this for sure but I think it has everything that was missing from the the original release. I wonder if the songs labelled [Deluxe Version] are extended, if so it means all those that aren't are exactly as they are in the film meaning no extended A Little Fall of Rain etc :(. Are they holding back for yet another release when they bring out the Director's Cut (hopefully there will be one), which I wouldn't be surprised to see being released at Christmas.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got the 'Stage to screen' book today. It's amazing! There's a lot in it though so I'd say it's more for the hard fans of Les Mis. I personally love the little envelopes filled with stuff. It's quite interesting seeing the history of the show itself.

I cannot wait for the DVD!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got the 'Stage to screen' book today. It's amazing! There's a lot in it though so I'd say it's more for the hard fans of Les Mis. I personally love the little envelopes filled with stuff. It's quite interesting seeing the history of the show itself.

I cannot wait for the DVD!!

:D:D I'm scared to take all the bits out in case I put them back in the wrong envelope.

Glad you like it, though. I'm glad I bought it now. Just waiting on the DVD. I'll let you know if it's OK. :)
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    Track listing for the deluxe edition of the soundtrack: http://www.myplaydirect.com/les-miserables-soundtrack/les-mis-rables-the-motion-picture-soundtrack-deluxe/details/28058067

I'm a newbie to Les Mis, well relative to most posters on this thread, so I can't say this for sure but I think it has everything that was missing from the the original release. I wonder if the songs labelled [Deluxe Version] are extended, if so it means all those that aren't are exactly as they are in the film meaning no extended A Little Fall of Rain etc :(. Are they holding back for yet another release when they bring out the Director's Cut (hopefully there will be one), which I wouldn't be surprised to see being released at Christmas.

Well what with everything being performed live, if there isn't an extended cut of the film then there won't be an extended cut of certain songs on the album, because it's never been recorded. I very much doubt there'll be a third release anyway, because even comparing it to the show (ie. possible deleted scenes) there's hardly anything that might be missing as far as I can tell, and definitely nothing major enough to justify a whole new release. It's only because there are huge omissions from the first album which had us all in uproar (Do You Hear the People Sing, A Little Fall of Rain, Who Am I and basically the whole third act) that the second one's been accepted as necessary - and all the big omissions are on the next one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    if there isn't an extended cut of the film then there won't be an extended cut of certain songs on the album, because it's never been recorded.

Not necessarily - there's quite a bit that we know was recorded but didn't make the final edit of the movie - full-length Drink With Me, full-length A Little Fall of Rain and the Turning interlude are the ones I know of.

There's been just as much uproar about some of those being cut as there was when Do You Hear the People Sing, A Little Fall of Rain and Who Am I were left off the highlights CD.
    Forum Member
    Not necessarily - there's quite a bit that we know was recorded but didn't make the final edit of the movie - full-length Drink With Me, full-length A Little Fall of Rain and the Turning interlude are the ones I know of.

There's been just as much uproar about some of those being cut as there was when Do You Hear the People Sing, A Little Fall of Rain and Who Am I were left off the highlights CD.

Probably only by fans of the show, and the large majority of those buying the album after seeing the film either won't have seen the show, or at least won't be fond enough of it to notice they were missing. I'm all for missing stuff being added to the film score, but if it were a third release it would basically just be fanservice, which I can't see happening. I think anything we don't get on the second album won't be released, there's just not enough left to justify a third one even if an extended cut exists.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    Probably only by fans of the show, and the large majority of those buying the album after seeing the film either won't have seen the show, or at least won't be fond enough of it to notice they were missing. I'm all for missing stuff being added to the film score, but if it were a third release it would basically just be fanservice, which I can't see happening. I think anything we don't get on the second album won't be released, there's just not enough left to justify a third one even if an extended cut exists.

You're probably right, I was just pointing out that you were incorrect to say anything not on the second album had never been recorded, as that's just not true.
    Forum Member
    You're probably right, I was just pointing out that you were incorrect to say anything not on the second album had never been recorded, as that's just not true.

Fair enough, I apologise. :) I suppose the nub of what I was saying is that if it's not in the film (and there's no extended edition) then none of that stuff is technically "missing" from the soundtrack as it was never there in the film either - and if there is an extended edition there would have to be loads and loads of additions to justify a new release. I kind of hope that happens though!
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do we have a release date for the DVD yet? I need to get me some Aaron Tveit on DVD!!
    Forum Member
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    Do we have a release date for the DVD yet? I need to get me some Aaron Tveit on DVD!!

Not an officially confirmed one, but almost certainly April. So about 6 weeks hopefully. :)
  • Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duncann wrote: »
    Yes it's entirely sung-through like the stage version, although there are a few occasional spoken lines which I don't remember from the stage or concert versions. I think these are there to clarify the storyline and/or are ad libs from the cast, especially Sacha Baron Cohen who adds in a couple of one line jokes.

I was looking forward to seeing a film with no spoken words to be honest. Still good film though. I thought SBC wouldn't be suitable for the film but he was, a bit like Jimmy Nail in Evita.
  • Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    Don't know if anyone has posted this one here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9IWAxSpgKA

It is very different but amazing.
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucy Lou wrote: »
    Don't know if anyone has posted this one here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9IWAxSpgKA

It is very different but amazing.

WOW! If nothing else, that is technically stunning!

Where do you start getting professional backing tracks like that and then have to mix them to a high professional standard.

That's before recording each part then filming it and remembering which part you come in on.

Oh and then video mix the lot!

I wonder how many hours/days work went into that?
  • Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    WOW! If nothing else, that is technically stunning!

Where do you start getting professional backing tracks like that and then have to mix them to a high professional standard.

That's before recording each part then filming it and remembering which part you come in on.

Oh and then video mix the lot!

I wonder how many hours/days work went into that?

When I first watched it I couldn't stop smiling with amazement and I cannot begin to imagine how it was all put together - it is just very, very clever.

The chap singing (Nick Pitera) also has a great voice and its fascinating see him 'change' his voice for each character - he even duets with himself :cool: and performs the whole ensemble too, its mind boggling:D
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Just a heads up...Les Miserables starring Anthony Perkins is on ITV3 at 1.20 today. Might be worth a look. Not sure which is the best version filmed.
    On Movie Mix channel last sunday Les Miserables starring Liam Neeson was on. Pretty good really. I missed the musical interludes though...musical version is much better