DS keeps freezing/crashing my browser!

SapphicGrrlSapphicGrrl Posts: 3,992
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm using Firefox 24.0 on Windows 7 Ultimate. It's usually a brilliant browser, but DS is practically unusable on it (even if I close all other tabs).

I've just changed over to Opera to use DS - it's quite a lot better but still hangs a bit when typing a reply (esp. when clicking on a smilie - they just won't load).

Has anyone got a recommendation as to the best browser to use for DS? (And WHY does it run so badly in Firefox?!) :(

(Just trying Safari - not bad so far.......)

Comments

• LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    I'm using Firefox 24.0 on Windows 7 Ultimate.

Try this add-on.
  • SapphicGrrlSapphicGrrl Posts: 3,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    Try this add-on.
    Thanks for that! I'm giving it a bash - everything looks much more stable now. (Funny that - I've never needed any such thing for any previous websites - but the performance of this one was woeful!) :)
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't ff 25 out tomorrow?
  • Polo MintsPolo Mints Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Try this add-on.
    Naughty, naughty, VERY naughty. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Polo Mints wrote: »
    Naughty, naughty, VERY naughty. :o
    Why is it naughty?! :o:confused:
  • Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DS used to have a problem with ABP,of late they haven't seemed too bothered though :)
    I recommend it to everyone I know as adverts are a known source of malware.
    Prevention is better than cure and all that :)
    Forum Member

I've no idea but I'd better go and sit on the naughty step.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Due to the warning, I downloaded an add-on called "Updated Ad Blocker for Firefox 11+ 0.7.7", which seems be working fine so far.......
    Forum Member
    Due to the warning, I downloaded an add-on called "Updated Ad Blocker for Firefox 11+ 0.7.7", which seems be working fine so far.......

What warning ??
    You are using Firfox 24.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What warning ??
    You are using Firfox 24.
    I was frightened off by the 'naughty naughty' warning! So I just searched the Firefox add-ins for a suitable ad blocker. That one came up & it seems to work OK?
    Forum Member
    There is nothing to be worried about concerning Adblock Plus, if you search it in add-ons it will probably be first in the list.
    The one you are using was for much older versions of Firefox and may cause problems with other add-ons .... best to remove it and use ABP.
  • radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only web site I have problems with is ITV player.
    It says an block programme has been detected & soon I wont be able to use the player
    So only for ITV, I have disabled Ab block Plus
  • bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    DS used to have a problem with ABP,of late they haven't seemed too bothered though :)
    I recommend it to everyone I know as adverts are a known source of malware.
    Prevention is better than cure and all that :)
    Having used Internet Explorer since the year dot as my default browser I’ve became increasing disillusioned by the ever more intrusive ‘ads/pop-ups/banners’ etc that abound on virtually all sites.

I tried ‘AdBlock Plus’ on Internet Explorer but it was a little quirky and less than satisfactory. Indeed it rendered some sites virtually useless.

However, a short while ago I started to use ‘Google Chrome’ as my default browser and coupled with ‘AdBlock Plus’ (Google Chrome version) I’ve found it to be nothing short of excellent.

It’s no secret that sites like DS are not being keen on ‘AdBlock Plus’ (for obvious reasons) and I fully understand that sites need to be funded but for me personally the ‘ads’ etc on DS (and others) were becoming so intrusive that, without ABP, my ‘visits’ would have very soon dwindled to zero.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is nothing to be worried about concerning Adblock Plus, if you search it in add-ons it will probably be first in the list.
    The one you are using was for much older versions of Firefox and may cause problems with other add-ons .... best to remove it and use ABP.
    I disabled that one, and have now installed Adblock Plus 2.4 and Adblock Plus Popup Add-on 0.9.1 - that should cover most eventualities! (If ABP proves no good, Firefox have a 'standby' called Adblock Edge. I feel pretty well 'guarded' now! :))

(To bri160356 - it wasn't so much the intrusion, more that the ads made DS criminally slow and pretty much unusable. Much better now! :D)