Change Netflix UK, to Netflix US!

graxitygraxity Posts: 374
Forum Member
Just found a brilliant easy way of changing the Netflix content from the UK to the US. Though you do need to be using a Router.

Loads more content and full seasons of TV shows like 24, Lost, Desperate Housewives and so on.

So, just go to 'Network Settings' on your PS3.

Then:

Internet Connection Settings

Then:

Scroll all the way to the right until you get to DNS settings.

Change the Primary DNS to 208.122.23.22
Change the Secondry DNS to 208.122.23.23

Accept the settings and keep scrolling to the right again until it's all complete.

Reboot the PS3 - this is important as nothing will change unless you do this.

Then load up Netflix and away you go with more interesting content!

Comments

• youngmiffmcniffyoungmiffmcniff Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Does that effect the game servers you connect to?
  • graxitygraxity Posts: 374
    Forum Member

It may do yeah because the PS3 now thinks it's situated in the US. But just change it back when you don't want to use Netflix.
  • MojoMasterMojoMaster Posts: 6,494
    Forum Member
    Don't you have to pay for this? I thought you did, through that US unblocking site?
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally wouldn't risk it for a biscuit.
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    proxy not router
  • c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These are the Unblock US DNS settings and its been said that these will only work for a short time, without subscribing to Unblock US;)

Saying that I've been using them for over 2 weeks, and still working for me:D

I've also not experienced any problems gaming online with these changed DNS settings;)
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    graxity wrote: »
    It may do yeah because the PS3 now thinks it's situated in the US. But just change it back when you don't want to use Netflix.

The PS3 doesn't now think it's in the US, so I don't think it should affect anything other than the specific services which UnblockUS supports.

This doesn't change everything. You're changing your DNS, not IP, and not going via a proxy or VPN for everything. I'd assume the UnblockUS DNS has a list of specific services it "unblocks". AFAIK...If you access one of those services, instead of translating the domain into the correct IP for the service, it instead sends you via a US proxy, just for that. If you access anything "normal" which UnblockUS doesn't support, then you simply go to the correct IP as normal.
  • TV DUNIYATV DUNIYA Posts: 6,772
    Forum Member
    @ graxity

You're a star.
    Many,many thanks.
    Have been wanting to see a film,I haven't seen in 26 years,(not available on DVD)and read online that it was on Netflix,but couldn't find it on the UK version,so I assumed it was only on the US version,and now after reading your post,are about to settle down to watch it!
    Thanks again.
  • graxitygraxity Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    TV DUNIYA wrote: »
    @ graxity

You're a star.
    Many,many thanks.
    Have been wanting to see a film,I haven't seen in 26 years,(not available on DVD)and read online that it was on Netflix,but couldn't find it on the UK version,so I assumed it was only on the US version,and now after reading your post,are about to settle down to watch it!
    Thanks again.

No probs! What was it out of interest?!
  • MojoMasterMojoMaster Posts: 6,494
    Forum Member
    No probs! What was it out of interest?!

Emmanuelle? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    MojoMaster wrote: »
    Emmanuelle? :D

God bless Sylvia,she made my teen years less boring.;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    Can not believe how much the UK is getting stiffed in terms of content

I could understand if it was just American stuff we were short on but they have more British stuff than us aswell

Top gear upto series 15 , ours goes to 13

Dr who upto series 5 , ours goes to 4

All of being human , we don't get any

Sherlock season 1 , we don't get it

There is others but I'm to lazy to look , but the point is why the hell do they have more British content than us
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can not believe how much the UK is getting stiffed in terms of content

I could understand if it was just American stuff we were short on but they have more British stuff than us aswell

Top gear upto series 15 , ours goes to 13

Dr who upto series 5 , ours goes to 4

All of being human , we don't get any

Sherlock season 1 , we don't get it

There is others but I'm to lazy to look , but the point is why the hell do they have more British content than us

All those shows you mention will be sold internationally by BBC Worldwide, in the UK though the BBC itself owns them and I suspect would rather they stayed on iPlayer rather than a commercial content provider, in fact I think legally they wouldn't be able to sell the licenses in the UK, for obvious reasons (up until a certain amout of time post-broadcast).

Netflix has been aquiring content licenses in the US for a few years now, they've been online in the UK for a whole month, maybe less, it's no surprise that there's a gulf in the amount of content available.

Give it a year, and there'll be less of a divide, but it'll always be stronger in the States unfortunately, especially when Sky are around, you can guarantee they'll fight tooth and nail to get the best stuff exclusive to Anytime+.
  • SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friends in America have told me the huge amount of titles on the US Netflix. I was thinking of giving this a try, but was wondering if my account could get banned from PSN for doing this? Silly question, but thought I'd check first! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the tip OP, hopefuly nobody notices (not bloody likely), but I'd happily continue to pay if I can continue to access that much content!
  • geobradgeobrad Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just found a brilliant easy way of changing the Netflix content from the UK to the US. Though you do need to be using a Router.

Loads more content and full seasons of TV shows like 24, Lost, Desperate Housewives and so on.

So, just go to 'Network Settings' on your PS3.

Then:

Internet Connection Settings

Then:

Scroll all the way to the right until you get to DNS settings.

Change the Primary DNS to 208.122.23.22
    Change the Secondry DNS to 208.122.23.23

Accept the settings and keep scrolling to the right again until it's all complete.

Reboot the PS3 - this is important as nothing will change unless you do this.

Then load up Netflix and away you go with more interesting content!

Will these settings work on the ipad and xbox as well:confused:

Cheers
    George

Edit: just changed the xbox, so just have to try the ipad, but not sure how to do it?
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How to change DNS to Unblock-US on iOS: http://support.unblock-us.com/customer/portal/articles/291548

Or you could just change it on the router only, instead of on each individual device.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you use it on many devices it's far easier to log on to your router and change it.

As people have mentioned this service isn't free, it cost about £3 a month and is only a free trial.
  • geobradgeobrad Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    If you use it on many devices it's far easier to log on to your router and change it.

As people have mentioned this service isn't free, it cost about £3 a month and is only a free trial.

Cannae change the router as i have a static ip from my isp:(
    Tried the settings on the ipad and it didnae work:(
  • lolmillolmil Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    Hi guys, I have followed the above instructions and changed the DNS settings on both my wii and ps3, but still getting logged into the uk Netflix. The above seems so easy yet isn't working for me. Any ideas/help will be appreciated.
  • ShadowlandsShadowlands Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hold on, I know I'm spectacularly stupid, but I can't even find the Netflix app???
  • Mark glasgowMark glasgow Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    After changing the settings i now cant login to Netflix.

Any ideas?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    After changing the settings i now cant login to Netflix.

Any ideas?

My US Netflix stopped working yesterday

I think they finally got wise to what we were doing and blocked it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried to watch something the other day (weds PM) and discovered it wasn't letting me sign in, I was waiting to see if anyone else using the US DNS had the same problem.

Oh well, it was a nice while it lasted.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    geobrad wrote: »
    Cannae change the router as i have a static ip from my isp:(
    Tried the settings on the ipad and it didnae work:(

You should still be able to change the DNS servers on your router even if you have a static IP.