Spain angery at English tourist.

Comments

• TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adamsk wrote: »
    The Spanish Goverment are too get tough on English tourist who use the country for loud drunken outrageous behaviour,and trashing there hotels most young English people.

They are going to charge drinks more and have more police on the streets starting from spring.

Good.

Hopefully, that will knock common sense and courtesy into tourists' heads.
  • Lewi26Lewi26 Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me and my mates spent a bomb in magaluf last summer, if our money is not good enough for them greece it is this year!
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    they are about 20 years too late, i think

broke arent they? they dont want less tourism

Not sure if drunken 18 year old lads in cheap hotels are necessarily big money spinners.

Maybe they want to attract more upmarket tourists who will spend the cash,
  • ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hyena wrote: »
    If it wasn't for us those thriving coastal towns would be two men and a donkey.

Two men and a donkey vs five hundred drunk Brits? Hmm...
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    If you trash hotels or start fights, you should be punished no matter what country you are in or what nationality you are.
  • housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    Adamsk wrote: »
    The Spanish Goverment are too get tough on English tourist who use the country for loud drunken outrageous behaviour,and trashing there hotels most young English people.

They are going to charge drinks more and have more police on the streets starting from spring.

Can not find anything about this news story is it just a wu do you have a link please :confused:
  • I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take it from the OP then that tourists from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are to be exempt from these new tougher laws and, upon presenting proof of nationality, will be offered drinks at lower prices than their English counterparts.
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    I cant say I blame the Spanish but also feel they brought it on themselves by encouraging it and building hotel upon hotel and allowing bars etc open all night .
  • nancy1975nancy1975 Posts: 19,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cant say I blame the Spanish but also feel they brought it on themselves by encouraging it and building hotel upon hotel and allowing bars etc open all night .

Agree. I've seen old photos of the Costas and it's depressing how these beautiful old towns have been spoilt. Croatia has kept it's development to a minimim and doesn't encourage prats binging on two for one offers. It's a bit late in the day for Spain now.
  • DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Spanish friend of mine told me most of these bars that serve and encourage these boozed up Brits are owned by Spanish people, so you can make up your own mind about that.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »

So what do they plan to do? Bulldoze the revolting concrete resort areas and start all over again... rename Benidorm and the like?

I think Spain have done the damage themselves and as their unemployment rises and their economy is in such a state, now is not the time for them to become choosy.

Unless they want to force people to spend their money in that equally skint nation, Greece
  • WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spain is a right shithole. Rubbish everywhere, mediocre food, incredibly noisy and the weather wasn't even that good. Worst. Holiday. Ever.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spain is a right shithole. Rubbish everywhere, mediocre food, incredibly noisy and the weather wasn't even that good. Worst. Holiday. Ever.

I don't know why everyone raves about Barcelona as a city, I found it really overrated.

Petty crime is rife there too
  • riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    Could be referring to this story (ironically from Germany) - which singles out German, Austrian and British tourists. For those of you keen to try German food and a slightly less frenetic beach atmosphere than in Shagallug, the German area is the opposite side of the bay at a place called "El Arenal", or, as the Germans call it "Ballerman".

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/mallorca-cracks-down-on-binge-drinking-tourists-on-its-beaches-a-842082.html

'Not A Pretty Sight for Children': Mallorca Combats Binge-Drinking Tourists
    The city of Palma de Mallorca in Spain is seeking to regain control of its beaches from unruly tourists who indulge in binge drinking. Officials are cracking down on tourists who behave badly, handing out fines as high as 1,800 euros for repeat offenders.

This was from a couple of years ago in the Indie

http://www.presseurop.eu/en/content/article/899461-glass-almost-empty-binging-brits-abroad?xtor=RSS-18

Following riots on the Costa Brava, and hotel balcony deaths in Majorca, the Spanish authorities are increasingly looking at ways to crack down on alcohol tourism.
    Forum Member
    I, Candy wrote: »
    I take it from the OP then that tourists from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are to be exempt from these new tougher laws and, upon presenting proof of nationality, will be offered drinks at lower prices than their English counterparts.
    I certainly remember "NO ENGLISH" signs on bars in Prague (which just lead me and my partner to swap languages when we went in) a few years back. This was mainly aimed at stag groups, so I was later told. Can't imagine it happening now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I presume you've been everywhere in Spain, then? I've been to Majorca, Menorca, Ibiza & Barcelona and many parts of the places visited were a) beautiful, b) quiet, c) sunny and, d) served tasty food (try Sa Capella in Ibiza - very nice)
    Forum Member
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    I presume you've been everywhere in Spain, then? I've been to Majorca, Menorca, Ibiza & Barcelona and many parts of the places visited were a) beautiful, b) quiet, c) sunny and, d) served tasty food (try Sa Capella in Ibiza - very nice)

Yup - Galicia - gorgeous - San Sebastian - great beach, in a cove so not that much in the way of waves -amazing food, friendly locals, cheap beer.

And best of all, no beetroot faced expats complaining they can't get Daddies Sauce at Eroski and how the Basques can't cook chips properly.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Cheap booze, larger measures, bars and clubs open until the early hours, all night happy hours, party cruises with free drink all day and they wonder why people get drunk?

Hey Miguel talk about shutting the gate after the horse has bolted, you've hardly been discouraging it have you?
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    riceuten wrote: »
    Yup - Galicia - gorgeous - San Sebastian - great beach, in a cove so not that much in the way of waves -amazing food, friendly locals, cheap beer.

And best of all, no beetroot faced expats complaining they can't get Daddies Sauce at Eroski and how the Basques can't cook chips properly.

Why the need when, according to you, they only use British supermarkets and British owned chippies?

But then you do make a lot of things up to bash expats so not surprising.

Oh and I meant to ask, why are you registered at an expat site when you dislike them so much?
    Forum Member
    Why the need when, according to you, they only use British supermarkets and British owned chippies?
    Er, because they don't speak Spanish or integrate, at a guess
    But then you do make a lot of things up to bash expats so not surprising?

Whereas you, unlike I, don't speak Spanish, or read Spanish newspapers.
    Oh and I meant to ask, why are you registered at an expat site when you dislike them so much?
    I'm "registered" so I can make a comment, slagging off expats - they are such an easy target, it's like shooting fish in a barrel. Hardly a hanging offence, though.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »
    With the poor exchange rate where £1 = €1.11 like I saw today I wouldn't be bothered going to any Eurozone country to be honest for a 'bargain break'. Stuff isn't that cheap when you get there any more

You need to get your currency somewhere else if you're only getting €1.11.
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Not sure if drunken 18 year old lads in cheap hotels are necessarily big money spinners.

There are huge resorts in Spain that exist only because of drunken Brits. How would they turn Magaluf back into an upmarket resort do you think?
    Forum Member

Christ, where did you go?
    Forum Member
    There are huge resorts in Spain that exist only because of drunken Brits. How would they turn Magaluf back into an upmarket resort do you think?
    About 30 minutes drive from Palmanova and Shagalluf lies the town of Port d'Andtratx - very up market - €30 a head for set meals there, and not a chippy or "All day full English breakfast" or "English pub" to be seen.
    Forum Member
    riceuten wrote: »
    About 30 minutes drive from Palmanova and Shagalluf lies the town of Port d'Andtratx - very up market - €30 a head for set meals there, and not a chippy or "All day full English breakfast" or "English pub" to be seen.

Yes I realise that. But the Spanish economy is on it's knees, they need the tourists in Magaluf.