Latest from Moffat... believe it if you want: one 60-min special 'complete nonsense!'

CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
Forum Member
✭✭
This has been mentioned in the spoilers thread, but I thought it might be fun to start the arguments up again somewhere else. :)

http://www.kasterborous.com/2013/02/moffat-1x60-minute-special-complete-nonsense/

Highlights of the interview, as given by Kasterborous:
First of all, the matter of a single 50th anniversary special running to 60 minutes, as photographed on BBC promotional literature at recent toy fares.

A lot of things are going on. Don’t believe the nonsense about one 60-minute film. That is complete nonsense!

Heads up, Whovians – we’ve also got a Christmas special this year!

Of course there’s going to be a Christmas special. Santa will also visit your house. Yes, all is as it was.

What is particularly interesting is that the new Ice Warriors story was something Moffat wasn’t initially keen to do.

Mark Gatiss had been pitching the Ice Warriors for a while. I wasn’t tremendously persuaded. I thought they were maybe the default condition for what people thought of as rubbish Doctor Who monsters: things that moved very slowly and spoke in a way that meant you couldn’t hear a word they said. I thought maybe that was the definitive rubbish one. But then Mark came up with a couple of very clever ideas. It’s an absolute cracker of an episode.

Interestingly, and despite many comments and speculation otherwise, not only is Moffat planning Series 8, he’s also claiming that Matt will be staying “For the rest of time.”

I’ve just started planning the next series and I’m going to swing [the arc] a slightly different way again.

Comments

• TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yaaaaayy!
    Also excited to see the new Ice Warriors.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zygon fans should possibly be excited.

Will the Zygons return? 'Who knows? Well, I know.' That sounds slightly more positive than negative.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Will the Zygons return? 'Who knows? Well, I know.' That sounds slightly more positive than negative.

I'm a bit fed up of Zygons, what with Auntie Pat and the subsequent problems. :(

No one ever asks Moff about Alpha Centauri returning, do they? Why not? :mad:

Other than that, a great interview. Nice mention of Sherlock filming soon, yay! I agree with Moff about The Beast Below; disagree about The Big Bang.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member
    Blimey, well if Matt is going to be playing the Doctor for the rest of time then I guess we will never discover if the Doctor still only has twelve regenerations or not :)
    Forum Member
    I'm a bit fed up of Zygons, what with Auntie Pat and the subsequent problems. :(

I want the tractators back :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    Blimey, well if Matt is going to be playing the Doctor for the rest of time then I guess we will never discover if the Doctor still only has twelve regenerations or not :)

And he'll never be a woman :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Good question. Alpha was quite ahead of his time as a gender-bender.
    Forum Member
    Ha, obviously not a fan of the Invasion of Time either and I never twigged about the double meaning of the title 'The Big Bang' :o
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    They're certainly playing with expectations. Ben Shepherd , Matt, Jenna, Radio Times and BBC Worldwide have repeatedly mentioned the special in the singular. So it'd be nice if it were multiple or feature length.

Moffat asked ages ago "why talk in the singular?". The obvious answer to that was that until now several BBC sources (Moffat aside) have talked about it in the singular. And I suppose he still hasn't directly said multiple. But he does seem to enjoy taking in riddles so fingers crossed.
    Forum Member
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    They're certainly playing with expectations. Ben Shepherd , Matt, Jenna, Radio Times and BBC Worldwide have repeatedly mentioned the special in the singular. So it'd be nice if it were multiple or feature length.

Moffat asked ages ago "why talk in the singular?". The obvious answer to that was that until now several BBC sources (Moffat aside) have talked about it in the singular. And I suppose he still hasn't directly said multiple. But he does seem to enjoy taking in riddles so fingers crossed.

Hmmm, throughout that interview he still only refers to it as 'the special' though. When he talks about being very busy, it seems like he is referring to other things. One of which would probably be An Adventure in Time and Space. Him and Caroline are also exec producers on that so that might also take up some of his time, although I have no idea how involved he is on that.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha, I read the title and thought 'oh, we haven't had 60 minutes of complete nonsense since The End of Time'.
    Forum Member
    TEDR wrote: »
    Haha, I read the title and thought 'oh, we haven't had 60 minutes of complete nonsense since The End of Time'.

That was longer than 60 minutes surely? At least it certainly felt like it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was longer than 60 minutes surely? At least it certainly felt like it!

Part 2 was 75 minutes I believe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »

I think you have overlooked The Big Bang. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lulz77 wrote: »
    Part 2 was 75 minutes I believe.

60 minutes of nonsense followed by 14 minutes of utter pants followed by one minute of brilliance.
  • BeerCupsBeerCups Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    Hmmm, throughout that interview he still only refers to it as 'the special' though. When he talks about being very busy, it seems like he is referring to other things. One of which would probably be An Adventure in Time and Space. Him and Caroline are also exec producers on that so that might also take up some of his time, although I have no idea how involved he is on that.

Well in classic who, the stories were in 4 or 6 parts (mostly) so maybe the special is just that, a special, but in 4 or 6 parts.

Just an idea, that way they could have an episode every evening, monday to friday, with the finale on the anniversary, which is the saturday.

I have a feeling it might be this, but i could be wrong.
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be nice if he gave us some idea of what IS going to happen instead of continually giving us the mushroom treatment......
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    Perhaps they were each talking about a specific, but single Specail. ;)
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Perhaps they were each talking about a specific, but single Specail. ;)

If there is more than one then that would be one explanation I suppose. But Matt said he would be filming "the special" - is he in only one of them? Or perhaps they were deliberately downplaying expectations so they could make a happy reveal about a two parter (and thereby distract attention from the absence of series 8 this year which even now some people are hoping for).

Maybe it is "The Special" (a single story) but will be edited into multiple parts.

Or by "complete nonsense" Moffat means "mostly accurate". ;)
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm also excited that the Ice Warriors are returning. I've got two Ice Warrior action figures that Character Options brought out in 2008.

I'd like the Zygons to return. They were scary. Sarah Jane Smith was scared of them, so I should think that pretty much characters in the new series will be too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want the tractators back :(

I'd love it if the Axos came back.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe ita just the way they refer to it and it doesn't mean one episode. I can't recall what was said at the time too well but I am sure someone will have referred to 'The End of Time' as a 'special' in the singular at some point in its development and that ended up being a feature length two parter. I still refer to it in the singular come to think of it. So who knows.
    Forum Member
    Yep - multiple episodes was an expectation even among many who weren't expecting any of series 8 this year. All the uses of the singular were given credibility by the BBC Worldwide's "1x60 minutes", but many people will now go back to their original expectations.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    But how many multiples episode will we be getting though?

Good interview from Moffat.
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    60 minutes of nonsense followed by 14 minutes of utter pants followed by one minute of brilliance.

You're thinking of The Wedding of River Song surely...:p