Disposing of TomTom to relative. Can I deregister it?

jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've just bought a new Satnav, a Garmin, after having a TomTom for four years. Currently, I'm getting emails about updates, plus a weekly reminder that my Live Service has expired.

I'm planning to give the TT to a poor relation. Can I de-register it, thus allowing my relation to register it? They may choose not to register it, but at least I'd stop the emails from TT.

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can try deleting your account. Instructions here

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15546/~/what-is-tomtoms-privacy-policy%3F

well sort of.

You will soon discover, as I just have, that there is no Category of "My Account" available on the send e-mail page. And none of the categories you can select are remotely appropriate. Anyway I've just sent a "Delete my account" message to them so see what happens.

Though past experience of TomTom's so called support service doesn't fill me with much hope.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had a reply from TomTom. Despite doing what they said on the webpage linked to above they wanted to know what I meant! So I replied, "Delete My Account" like what it says on your own website (or words to that effect :)). Oh well, maybe now the account will be deleted.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks chrisjr. I've just been through the process you detailed in post 2.

As you say, no "category" fits, and it's a required field. I'll wait for their reply now. I can also put the 2GB of the first backup onto a memory card, and delete it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I've received a standard response from TT, saying someone will be in touch within a couple of days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just out of idle curiosity tried logging in to TomTom. Account still active. No response to the reply I sent yesterday so who knows what will happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just received an email from TT. I have to agree to five conditions, and then my account disappears. Though it's possible it could be revived if I (or someone) registers the device with a different email address - it's not clear whether it's the device, or just the account, which can't be reactivated. For security reasons. :confused:
    ...........before we can remove you account, please agree to the following conditions:-

- We will deactivate your account as long you have no pending transactions such as orders or repairs etc
    - Please be aware that you will lose any credentials (PLUS services, HOME login, etc...) linked to your account.
    - Out of security measures, TomTom will not reactivate disabled accounts.
    - It is not possible to transfer PLUS Services, Maps etc from one account to another.
    - Once the account has been removed, and you wish to continue to use TomTom products, you will need to re-register your details via the website with a valid e-mail address.

Please reply back to this e-mail, stating that you agree to these conditions. Once you have replied to us, this e-mail will be the last communication to you from this account.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I've just received an email from TT. I have to agree to five conditions, and then my account disappears. Though it's possible it could be revived if I (or someone) registers the device with a different email address - it's not clear whether it's the device, or just the account, which can't be reactivated. For security reasons. :confused:
    At least you got that far!

I was wondering why they hadn't replied to my response the their initial query. Had a bounce back message saying the e-mail couldn't be delivered!

Not sure I can be bothered to send it again to be honest. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had another email last night; my account is now closed, but the device can be re-registered with a different email address.

I used the link you posted earlier, then, when I received an email from TT, I just used "Reply". So I don't see why yours should bounce back.