X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)

Comments

• darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goaty wrote: »

Damn you Goaty, I was just going to start a thread on this :mad::p. Looks awesome. :)
  • Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep great trailer - looking forward to this. I must admit I wanted them to do a direct sequel to first class with the new cast - but this trailer does make it look promising...

If it's a Marvel film - how come it's not part of the phase 1 / phase 2 stuff??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    Bryan Singer is an awful film-maker, sadly this film is going to have some great trailers but ultimately end up being a very poor or mediocre film.

You can't replace a quality director like Matthew Vaughan to him, big loss!
  • ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps a reference to the Moody Blues concept album Days Of Future Passed
  • starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bio Max wrote: »
    Yep great trailer - looking forward to this. I must admit I wanted them to do a direct sequel to first class with the new cast - but this trailer does make it look promising...

If it's a Marvel film - how come it's not part of the phase 1 / phase 2 stuff??

Because the rights to the 'X-men' part of the marvel universe were sold off before Marvel got their act together to create their 'shared' universe. The same with both Spiderman and Fantastic Four, which the rights are owned by different studios.
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trailer is awful with a ripped off soundtrack to boot. I can see this being a massive flop at the box office next year.
  • caz06caz06 Posts: 848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    does look good! , but I would have liked a straight forward sequel to FC, I kind of think that xmen 1-3 and the 2 wolverine films have had their time
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    caz06 wrote: »
    does look good! , but I would have liked a straight forward sequel to FC, I kind of think that xmen 1-3 and the 2 wolverine films have had their time

Yep, I agree.. but maybe the franchise was just too limiting having to 'fill in' between the two sets of films. This way they can bring back the 'big guns' in terms of characters, rather than depending on second string mutants.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First impression... don't like it. :(
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to it, but that's a terrible trailer.
  • JaiJaiJaiJai Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The trailer is awful with a ripped off soundtrack to boot. I can see this being a massive flop at the box office next year.

The trailer was fine and gave an emotional edge to it highlighting the seriousness of what is/was happening.

The soundtrack is likely not finished or in the early stages of being done.

This will not be a massive flop when it's released. Trust me.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Box office figures..

2000 X-Men: $157m
    2003 X2: $214m
    2006 X-Men Last Stand: $234m
    2009 X-Men Origins Wolverine: $179m
    2011 X-Men First Class: $146m
    2013 The Wolverine: $132m (potentially more to make when bluray releases)

First Class performed badly when you consider a film just about Wolverine has pulled in almost as much money. So it's perhaps understandable that they decided to merge the two worlds.. in particular giving a key role to Hugh Jackman, who let's face it is the biggest star of the franchise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Box office figures..

2000 X-Men: $157m
    2003 X2: $214m
    2006 X-Men Last Stand: $234m
    2009 X-Men Origins Wolverine: $179m
    2011 X-Men First Class: $146m
    2013 The Wolverine: $132m (potentially more to make when bluray releases)

First Class performed badly when you consider a film just about Wolverine has pulled in almost as much money. So it's perhaps understandable that they decided to merge the two worlds.. in particular giving a key role to Hugh Jackman, who let's face it is the biggest star of the franchise.

Interesting that the entire series isn't that 'big' in terms of box office.

Compared with
    Spiderman: $800m
    Iron Man:$585m
    Man of Steel:$662m
    Captain America:$368m
    Thor:$449m

and the sequels made even more...

Hell even Daredevil made $179m...and that's seen as one of the worst 'modern' superhero films.
  • SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love Storm's new look!

Glad to see Shadowcat, Rogue and Iceman are in this! Gutted about no Cyclops though.

Can't wait!
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First impression... don't like it. :(

I was kinda the same. It started off well climaxing at the ancient ruin place for me. Very somber too (which is fine, just not what i was expecting).
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love Storm's new look!

Glad to see Shadowcat, Rogue and Iceman are in this! Gutted about no Cyclops though.

Can't wait!

Me too. I hope it means his powers are going to be near maxium potential, if he is going to be fighting alongside Magneto.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    starsailor wrote: »
    Interesting that the entire series isn't that 'big' in terms of box office.

Compared with
    Spiderman: $800m
    Iron Man:$585m
    Man of Steel:$662m
    Captain America:$368m
    Thor:$449m

and the sequels made even more...

Hell even Daredevil made $179m...and that's seen as one of the worst 'modern' superhero films.

You're comparing US grosses for the X-Men movies against worldwide grosses for the other Marvel/DC movies.

The worldwide totals are:

2000 X-Men: $297m
    2003 X2: $407m
    2006 X-Men Last Stand: $459m
    2009 X-Men Origins Wolverine: $374m
    2011 X-Men First Class: $355m
    2013 The Wolverine: $407m (and counting)

Given that the budgets for the more recent X-Men movies have been less than your typical Marvel Studios movie they have been great earners for Fox.

The worldwide appeal of Jackman paired with crossing over the casts of the previous movies are gonna make DOFP the highest grossing film of the year next year in my view. That great trailer only strengthens that opinion for me!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Divv4k wrote: »
    You're comparing US grosses for the X-Men movies against worldwide grosses for the other Marvel/DC movies.

The worldwide totals are:

2000 X-Men: $297m
    2003 X2: $407m
    2006 X-Men Last Stand: $459m
    2009 X-Men Origins Wolverine: $374m
    2011 X-Men First Class: $355m
    2013 The Wolverine: $407m (and counting)

Given that the budgets for the more recent X-Men movies have been less than your typical Marvel Studios movie they have been great earners for Fox.

The worldwide appeal of Jackman paired with crossing over the casts of the previous movies are gonna make DOFP the highest grossing film of the year next year in my view. That great trailer only strengthens that opinion for me!

Ah yes..I see oops.

But I disagree it's going to make the highest grossing film next year!

Spiderman 2, Transformers, The last Hobbit, Hunger Games + many others will take more..
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ripped off soundtrack? How many teasers have the actual soundtrack from the film in them? Example; Man of Steel's teaser used music from Lord of the Rings. Its common practice, being that the soundtrack won't be complete at this point.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope Shadowcat isn't going to be sidelined and this be another Wolverine movie, as she had a big role in the comic
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The soundtrack sounds as if it's from Sunshine as they've obviously not completed it. At least we didn't get the Inception horns....

http://inception.davepedu.com/

/\/\/\
    try it!
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    But I disagree it's going to make the highest grossing film next year!

Spiderman 2, Transformers, The last Hobbit, Hunger Games + many others will take more..
    ...Fast 7, 'Train Your Dragon 2, Godzilla, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes...'tis a packed schedule.

For DoFP to perform the way some of these obviously will it'll need to click far beyond its core fanbase. The Jackman/Lawrence factor will doubtlessly be in its favour, but I imagine it'll simply boil down to the film itself. No-one except the most fervent of fanboys expected Avengers Assemble to do the kind of business it did, but its colourful, accessible, fizzy fun vibe made it just as suitable for the casual audience, who are more often than not the deciding factor in any box-office giant.

It's not hard to see DoFP doing better than any other X-men iteration so far - it's a very steady, successful franchise - but a jump into the super-league? They thought that about Star Trek Into Darkness...
    Forum Member
    Jennifer Lawrence is more popular now than ever, I'm sure her Hunger Game crowd will make it gross higher. We have Magneto and Prof X back, so this brings in some of the older folks.

Bringing back Wolverine is another huge plus, I can see this film doing around $800 million worldwide or more now.
    Forum Member
    It's not hard to see DoFP doing better than any other X-men iteration so far - it's a very steady, successful franchise - but a jump into the super-league? They thought that about Star Trek Into Darkness...

Star Trek doesn't appeal to kids, this does.

I barely remember seeing as many teens coming to see Star Trek 2 this year, when compared to End Games where the majority of the audience are under 18's.
  • KnowAll27KnowAll27 Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    caz06 wrote: »
    Yep, I agree.. but maybe the franchise was just too limiting having to 'fill in' between the two sets of films. This way they can bring back the 'big guns' in terms of characters, rather than depending on second string mutants.

I was thinking about it slightly differently - here's my theory:

Origins:Wolverine, X-Men 1 - 3, and The Wolverine have their own continuity.

First Class was an opportunity to start a 'new' X Men franchise, but a couple of inside joke cameos (Hugh Jackman and Rebecca Romijn) positioned First Class as a direct prequel to the original series plus solo Wolverine films.

Stuck in a slight rut, whereby they were going to have to try and either match up First Class with the previous series; or ignore them altogether despite two clear nods to the future than almost everyone who watched the original series picked up on, Days Of Future Past is a chance to clear the decks and start afresh. I think the storyline of Days of Future Past will essentially spin the First Class storyline into an 'alternative timeline', similar to the way events in Star Trek (2009) sent that cast into an alternative timeline.

The continuity of the original Singer/Ratner series is still valid, but now the First Class series can tread it's own path without having to match up with the events of the Singer/Ratner series.

This is either the last we'll see of the Singer/Ratner cast, or there'll be two X Men series on the go - one series with Fassbender and McAvoy, and one series with McKellan and Stewart. This 'cross over' film will separate them indefinitely.