What are the best serials from Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy on DVD?

bradavonbradavon Posts: 723
Forum Member
✭✭
As title.

Although the last Doctors 6 & 7 from the Classic series don't interest me as much I figure I should at least entertain the idea.

I seem to remember "Remembrance of the Daleks" being decent.

So which serial for each Doctor is the best and why?

Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bradavon wrote: »
    As title.

Although the last Doctors 6 & 7 from the Classic series don't interest me as much I figure I should at least entertain the idea.

Thanks

try McCoys Ghost Light. :)
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    I would give Colin Baker's Attack of the Cybermen a ago as it does have the very classic formula to it much like the days of Barry Letts and Terence Dicks. However, with the 6th and 7th Doctors be prepared for disappointment to some degree
  • bradavonbradavon Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks guys. I hear Colin Baker's Revelation of the Daleks is his best, yes/no?

I'm actually more interested to check out Baker than McCoy. I remember the McCoy ones were good (his were the only ones I watched when on TV) but I was a lot younger then, so today I'm dubious. I hear Baker's are more violent which could be a good thing.
  • MODTLMODTL Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recommend "Survival" as McCoy's Doctor was really getting into his stride by this point. Even better is the special features that includes a documentary on why the programme was cancelled.
  • MansunMansun Posts: 2,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Revelation Of The Daleks" is probably Colin's best one, yeah. "The Two Doctors" is not bad either, and as a bonus it's an episode longer than his other stories and you get Troughton and Jamie too.

Can't believe no-ones mentioned "The Curse Of Fenric" for McCoy, one of the all-time greatest Who stories. The DVD has the original TV version as well as the extended special edition. Or failing that, "Remembrance Of The Daleks" and "Survival" are both pretty good too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As title.

Thanks

I'd go with Rememberance. I got it on DVD, and it's a very fun and distinctive episode. It has a bit of an iffy story, but there are some excellent moments and action scenes.

I'd also suggest the episode, "survival". I enjoy it, and plus it's a milestone episode cos' it's the last one. Plus it has some nice special features, including an insight into what we could have had for the 1990 series, including a runthrough of all the episodes that weren't to be, and a new TARDIS interior!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Curse of Fenric, especially the extended version which is presented as 1 complete film rather than in 4 parts.

Nicholas Parsons rocks :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Curse of Fenric. it's easily the best McCoy story i've seen so far. much better than Survival and Remembrance Of The Daleks. the 'Movie' version is brilliant and warrant s an airing on TV in the 'movie' format, i'm sure people would find the twists and turns very interesting and would be hooked.
  • RooksRooks Posts: 9,093
    Forum Member
    I've always liked "Greatest Show" but it's not to everyone's tastes. It's full of allegory and references to the show itself. Some of McCoy's stories are strangely two-sided with silly, childish monsters but very adult themes and "Greatest Show" is one of those. The bus conductor is a stupid monster but the overall story is quite sinister and self-aware.

Poor Colin Baker. He wasn't given anything good to work with. Some fans who like to show how good the new show is compared to the old one normally cite the Colin Baker era in their argument but it's like comparing a Porshe to a mini. Doctor Who was unloved by the BBC at the time and given very little money to work with. I didn't really like any of Colin's stories and the only one I would even suggest watching would be The Two Doctors for the return of the brilliant Pat Troughton and Frazer Hines.

Colin is a really nice guy (met him a few times) and he knows how bad some of his stories are. On the Colin Baker years video he made a brilliant comment. He said that most of his stories would end with him saying "Oh No Peri" and the camera zooming in on him looking concerned. Oh and that the camera was quite interested in keeping an eye on Nicola Bryants chest (wise camera-man :D).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Everyone involved with "The Curse of Fenric" should be very proud of what they achieved with that story. You have to go back 5 years previous to find a better episode, the fifth Doctors final story "The Caves of Androzani".
  • bradavonbradavon Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks guys. Curse of Fenric sounds interesting. I presume the movie version has never been shown on TV? I'm thinking I'll give that ago and Revelation Of The Daleks. I don't want too many Dalek episodes, outweighing the other monsters.

Despite Survival being his last episode I'm not sure it looks all that good. I guess I could be wrong though.

I know it's how they were shown but watching them in one go on DVD I do find it a bit annoying to be interrupted by credits again and again. Is "The Greatest Show" on DVD? I cannot find it.
  • Salford_WhoSalford_Who Posts: 4,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. Curse of Fenric sounds interesting. I presume the movie version has never been shown on TV? I'm thinking I'll give that ago and Revelation Of The Daleks. I don't want too many Dalek episodes, outweighing the other monsters.

Despite Survival being his last episode I'm not sure it looks all that good. I guess I could be wrong though.

I know it's how they were shown but watching them in one go on DVD I do find it a bit annoying to be interrupted by credits again and again. Is "The Greatest Show" on DVD? I cannot find it.

Survival left me a little bit cold, Curse of Fenric gives more background on Ace, and I think McCoy was getting into his stride, didn't know there was a special edition DVD, will think about getting it.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the many people who've liked Curse of Fenric. I think it's one of Sylvester McCoy's best. I also really liked Survival and Ghost Light.

For Colin Baker, I had been really reluctant to watch any, having hated him when Peter Davison regenerated (I was 11) and he tried to strangle the lovely Peri. I refused to watch him after that, first time round. I've recently been converted by the audios though (he's excellent!) and now I've watched some of his stories. Best of all, in my opinion, is Vengeance on Varos, which I thought was an excellent story - all Big Brother and reality tv and media violence and stuff. The supporting cast is fab (Martin Jarvis in jack boots, Jason Connery, the wonderful Nabil Shaban as Sil (with his lovely slithery laugh)...

I also really liked The Two Doctors, where the Doctor goes all vegetarian.
  • TimCypherTimCypher Posts: 9,052
    Forum Member
    I'm going to be different and cite 'The Mark Of The Rani' as a great CB outing, then it would have to be Revelation.

Despite Pat Troughton, 'The Two Doctors' did nothing for me - in fact, I thought it was downright boring. I prefer Timelash (seriously!)

Regards,

Cypher