Mongrels BBC3

Comments

• Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    What is BBC3 vision statement?

"If it isn't a steaming pile of crap, it's got to go!"

Another terrible decision from a channel that bills itself as being the home to non-mainstream ideas, but which in reality is now turning into a Really/OK TV/Living poop-fest.

Their controller is single handedly writing the reason for axing the entire channel.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they cancelled Mongrels to free up the money for this

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/4070661/Russell-Kane-lands-own-BBC-Three-show.html

Now I fully understand that sense of humour is subjective and personal but I personally don't find Russell Kane remotely funny.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Truth be told, as much as I personally enjoyed it, the ratings for it weren't fantastic (about 350k overnight at best and never reached the BARB official top 10s for the channel) so it was fairly inevitable that when the cuts (spell checked that!) came, stuff like this would go.

K
  • JoLucJoLuc Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The perfect thread as I'm now watching The One Show. That Matt Baker chap has a mong look about him. Part 1940's throwback look and part modern 2012.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/4070661/Russell-Kane-lands-own-BBC-Three-show.html

Now I fully understand that sense of humour is subjective and personal but I personally don't find Russell Kane remotely funny.
    Cheap to make. Just need to hire the studio for 2 hours. Free audience and one guy on stage.
    Same with Lee Nelson and Russell Howard.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Bunch of *****! This was my favourite show on TV!

Im genuinely pissed off about this. This and Psychoville were the best TV comedy ive seen in years and the ****ers cancel them both after 2 series!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 310
    Forum Member

I can't stand the guy.

Currently BBC3 is only good for American Dad and Family guy, in my opinion.
  • GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This really pissed me off the moment I heard that Mongrels was axed. What the hell, BBC?! You give us one of the best shows on BBC Three in quite a while and then you cancel it after just TWO series?! Now all that I can see on BBC Three is stupid crap documentaries about pregnant girls and rubbish like that and constant REPEATS of Family Guy & American Dad. ARGH! I hate this channel! :mad:
  • ChanfronChanfron Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    Damm I only watched Mongrels via the iplayer, do they count those as viewers.

Maybe the BBC need to save some money so they can show some more repeats:(
  • sp2011sp2011 Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cant believe they canceled the show, It was one of very few things worth watching on BBC3!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do we think it will get a DVD release for series two, if it wasn't good enough for a third series?
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EIwood wrote: »
    Do we think it will get a DVD release for series two, if it wasn't good enough for a third series?
    More than likely as it will still generate cash for them.
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the response somebody from the Mongrels FB page received when they contacted the BBC to complain about this decision:

Thank you for contacting the BBC.

We’ve received complaints from some viewers unhappy with the decision not to commission another series of ‘Mongrels’.

‘Mongrels’ was a funny and innovative comedy that we were proud to have on the channel but after two series we felt it was time to try something new. We regularly have to make difficult decisions about how we spend our budget and occasionally these decisions will prove unpopular with some members of the audience. There is, however, plenty of new comedy coming soon to the channel for viewers to enjoy.

Finally, we appreciate you may remain unhappy with this decision and we're guided by our audience feedback, so we’d like to assure you that your complaint has been registered on our audience log. This is an internal report of audience feedback that we compile on a daily basis and it’s made available to programme commissioners, channel executives and senior management.

The audience logs are seen as important documents that can help shape decisions about future programming and content.

Thanks once again for taking the time to contact us.

Kind Regards
    BBC Complaints

It's such a frustratingly banal response that I really do feel like going all Vince on them. But hopefully the pigeons in London and Salford are following Kali's lead and tapping Zai Bennett et al's windows!

So I urge you all to complain, and complain loudly! And don't forget to sign the petition that flower66 linked to -- http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/save-bbc-mongrels.html
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    To be fair I thought Series 1 was very good, Series 2 not so much and I felt it was running out of steam and ideas. Like Fawlty Towers calling a halt now is a good decision before it goes all Red Dwarf / Last of the Summer Wine.
  • Laudrup1Laudrup1 Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    I thought series 2 was as good as the first. Maybe lost some of the shock humour as you knew more of it but it was still a very high quality.

It'll not live amongst shows like The Office which called time on it before it all went wrong but for all that, I could have seen it having at least another series or two.

Imagine Seinfeld, which had fairly poor ratings in it's first year was cancelled...

What annoys me most about shows like this being pulled is that there's hardly a tonne of options to come in and replace it. It'll be more crud that we get instead.
    Forum Member
    I was reading up last night on some of the new comedy this year.

One of them is called Live at the Electric hosted by Russell Kane. Basically it's a version of LATA or Comedy Roadshow for up and coming comedians.
    Also ......... it's cheap to make! :rolleyes:
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I was reading up last night on some of the new comedy this year.

One of them is called Live at the Electric hosted by Russell Kane. Basically it's a version of LATA or Comedy Roadshow for up and coming comedians.
    Also ......... it's cheap to make! :rolleyes:

Sounds as good as his hair...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Series 2 DVD has been cancelled by the BBC.

http://thevelvetonion.com/2012/05/17/mongrelled/

I've just bought series 1 so am gutted that Series 2 won't be released :(
  • GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TV Crazy wrote: »

Now that is just pathetic. If we want to watch series 2 again, we have to fork over £15.99 to Apple to do that. Really bad move!
  • tinmantinman Posts: 3,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *****!
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

what? don't tell Nelson
  • NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Talk about pouring salt on the wounds.
    What a disgusting way to treat fans, to cancel the show without warning is one thing, to completely scrap any hope we have of seeing Series 2 over again is another.

I'll be making a complaint about this.
    Forum Member
    and they wonder why some download the series from the net
  • smile371smile371 Posts: 10,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is confusing :p I've just recieved an email from Play to say that Mongrels is now available to pre-order http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/21859886/0/Mongrels-Series-2/ListingDetails.html

How strange! Didn't want to get your guys hopes up but might be a bit of good news :)