Friends Gripes

Comments

• Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    The episode where Phoebe finds the thumb is on now and she's talking about not being able to keep the money in her account because it is dishonest and would bring bad karma.
    Maybe mugging people brought her bad karma before?
    Its also funny how she tells Rachel she never lies but then teaches Joey how to lie...and at the end of the episode she says "next week stealing"
    I kinda feel Rachel could have been the one to teach him how to lie, or Monica with the stealing as she nicks money from Ross's apartment. They needed a character to be less than perfect but they could've had that be Rachel sometimes.
  • RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think people are taking Phoebe the character a whole lot more seriously than she was intended to be taken.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Revenga wrote: »
    I think people are taking Phoebe the character a whole lot more seriously than she was intended to be taken.

At last, someone speaking sense!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love the references in Friends to Seinfeld. Courtney Cox played Jerry's fake wife and Mr. Heckles played the role of Kramer when they spoofed Seinfeld on Seinfeld! Ha!

I think Chandler's ATM pin was the same as Jerry's?
  • E05297535E05297535 Posts: 5,602
    Forum Member
    blancedb wrote: »
    The time Chandler went for an advertising job and used a stick to help him walk out because the weather was damp! I realise the joke was that he was older than the other candidates, but really?? He never struggled to walk before or after that scene to my knowledge.... It was just daft.

He ACTUALLY fell backwards and hurt his hip when he was trying to stand in his rollerboots he was trying to advertise....that fall helped him get the winning slogan for the advertising company!!!!
  • storm818storm818 Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not really, the question was asked as to who the most disliked Friends character is and Phoebe seems to be it. Everyone has their favourites and least favourites, she seems to have the most negative characteristics out of the 6 characters.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    storm818 wrote: »
    Not really, the question was asked as to who the most disliked Friends character is and Phoebe seems to be it. Everyone has their favourites and least favourites, she seems to have the most negative characteristics out of the 6 characters.

Yeah, but people seem to be getting really angry about it!
  • decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenbonjovi wrote: »

Really not
  • loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    The episode where Phoebe finds the thumb is on now and she's talking about not being able to keep the money in her account because it is dishonest and would bring bad karma.
    Maybe mugging people brought her bad karma before?
    Its also funny how she tells Rachel she never lies but then teaches Joey how to lie...and at the end of the episode she says "next week stealing"
    I kinda feel Rachel could have been the one to teach him how to lie, or Monica with the stealing as she nicks money from Ross's apartment. They needed a character to be less than perfect but they could've had that be Rachel sometimes.

When Phoebe mugged people she was a child who was homeless, she needed what little money she could get to buy food and survive.
    When she found the thumb she was an adult with a home and a job. While she might have liked the money she didn't need it. Plus it was a large sum of money, whereas Ross and other 'pre-teen comic book nerds' would have probably had only a few dollars on them.

Re. the lying, she is capable of lying, but chooses not to (though she obviously has thoughout the ten series). The 'next week: stealing' line was most likely intended as a joke, like she's teaching Joey immoral acts.

One thing that always confuses me is their ages. Monica and Rachel are the same age as they were friends at school in some of the same classes. Rachel is the youngest because she is the last one to turn 30.
    Ross is two or three years older than Monica, and therefore Rachel too. Chandler and Ross are the same age because they were at college together.
    Joey is at least older than Chandler (and thefore Monica and Rachel) because in TOW They All Turn Thirty he says 'And now Chandler!' after he freaked out at turning thirty on his own birthday.
    Phoebe was 14 when she became homeless, and mugged Ross when he was 12 at the oldest (did he ever say what age he was?), so she could have been anything from 14 to 16. But in the Thirty episode she finds out she's a year older than she thought she was. So she must be at least three years older than Ross.

But in series one Monica is 26, but in series three Ross is 29, when he should be 30-31.
    Although when Friends was first written Monica was supposed to be older than Ross, so that could explain that.
  • storm818storm818 Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hardly.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phoebe was my favourite character at first but I ended up really disliking her. She certainly went from zany to deeply unpleasant during the life of the show. Ross was probably the most consistent character.
  • TrekTheGalaxyTrekTheGalaxy Posts: 51
    Forum Member

I'm not. That's why I like to use the little :):p:D

Sometimes it's hard to tell online when a person is angry or when they are just enjoying a debate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not. That's why I like to use the little :):p:D

Sometimes it's hard to tell online when a person is angry or when they are just enjoying a debate.

Agreed - who on earth is going to get angry with a fictional character who has not been on screen for almost 10 years, except in repeats?? :confused::p
  • bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In TOW the Flashback, Monica and Rachel clearly have not seen each other for years. In fact, it takes Monica a little while to recognise Rachel. But when Chandler and Monica are dating and Rachel sneaks to Chandler's apartment, she overhears Monica telling Chandler that ever since High School, she has told Rachel everything in her life.

I still love the show - I find the glaring continuity errors quite funny.
  • zummigummizummigummi Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    Anyone think Rachel and Phoebe are really bitchy & unlikeable some of the time? I have noticed it more on rewatching the complete series on DVD.

Phoebe makes some cruel jibes towards Chandler and Rachel is just such a selfish jealous person at times.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gina Tribbiani in the spinoff ‘Joey’ looks nothing like the actresses that portrayed Joey’s sisters in the episode where one of them fondles about with Chandler. For instance she’s most likely naturally blonde but in ‘Friends’ all the sisters had jet black hair. Also the actress playing Joey’s agent in LA just happens to be the same lady who turned up in ‘Friends’ once as a former neighbour of Monica’s with a dodgy fake British accent to the annoyance and ridicule of Monica & Phoebe.
  • g4jcg4jc Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love the references in Friends to Seinfeld. Courtney Cox played Jerry's fake wife and Mr. Heckles played the role of Kramer when they spoofed Seinfeld on Seinfeld! Ha!

I think Chandler's ATM pin was the same as Jerry's?

Anyone remember 'Mad About You' about a couple in New York?

There were a few crossovers between Friends, Seinfeld and Mad About You.

The husband (Paul Reiser) was Seinfeld's friend/neighbour and leased his "bachelor pad" to Kramer.

The wife (Helen Hunt) from this series appeared in an episode (of Friends) at Central Perk with a friend and tried to order drinks from Pheobe, mistaking her for Ursula, Pheobe's 'evil' twin, the nutty waitress in the couple's local bar/restaurant.

In TOW the Blackout (Friends) the blackout was caused by the wife in Mad about You.
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    g4jc wrote: »
    The wife (Helen Hunt) from this series appeared in an episode (of Friends) at Central Perk with a friend and tried to order drinks from Pheobe, mistaking her for Ursula, Pheobe's 'evil' twin, the nutty waitress in the couple's local bar/restaurant.

Jamie Buchman's friend in that episode, was her Mad About You friend, Fran Devanow, played by Leila Kenzle.

THIS is them in the Mad About You lineup, and THIS is the two of them, just after they've walked into Central Perk.

Oh, and the local bar/restaurant was called Riffs.

ETA: Another bit of Mad About You trivia.

Anne Ramsay, who plays Jamie Buchman's sister, Lisa Stemple, has appeared in two Start Trek TNG episodes.
    Forum Member
    Gina Tribbiani in the spinoff ‘Joey’ looks nothing like the actresses that portrayed Joey’s sisters in the episode where one of them fondles about with Chandler. For instance she’s most likely naturally blonde but in ‘Friends’ all the sisters had jet black hair. Also the actress playing Joey’s agent in LA just happens to be the same lady who turned up in ‘Friends’ once as a former neighbour of Monica’s with a dodgy fake British accent to the annoyance and ridicule of Monica & Phoebe.
    The other thing about Joeys sisters is in the Chandler episode they all seem similar age and all adults. But then in a much later episode when his youngest sister is pregnant she is meant to be quite young, so how old would she have been in the Chandler episode realistically?
    Forum Member
    zummigummi wrote: »
    Anyone think Rachel and Phoebe are really bitchy & unlikeable some of the time? I have noticed it more on rewatching the complete series on DVD.

Phoebe makes some cruel jibes towards Chandler and Rachel is just such a selfish jealous person at times.

Rachel is very jealous in the way she broke up Ross and Julie and then Ross and Bonnie and in both instances she then proceeded to break up with Ross almost straight away. Then there's the whole thing of her wanting to go to London and wreck things with Emily. But I like to think when she saw her with Ross and didn't say anything that showed how she'd grown as a character.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When did Chandler give up his dislike of Thanksgiving (and particularly the food)?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When did Chandler give up his dislike of Thanksgiving (and particularly the food)?

Don't think he did, in season 8 in the episode with Brad Pitt, Monica says that Chandler won't be having Turkey as he doesn't eat holiday food.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    decobelle wrote: »
    Don't think he did, in season 8 in the episode with Brad Pitt, Monica says that Chandler won't be having Turkey as he doesn't eat holiday food.

Oh yes, you're right. Ahh well then, don't I feel foolish? :cool:

ETA: Although in the season 10 Thanksgiving episode, he makes the cranberry sauce ...
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The actress who played Ursula was rubbish.

:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes, you're right. Ahh well then, don't I feel foolish? :cool:

ETA: Although in the season 10 Thanksgiving episode, he makes the cranberry sauce ...

Don't you mean the Chanberry sauce, hoo hoo