Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 45)

Comments

• Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    I seem to remember you saying this for months prior to Christmas. Eastenders is following its usual pattern.
    I said it for months because it was true for months and it had been lower than usual for months.

It has been doing better for the last few weeks and this is the first time in a few weeks that it's been down.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    NeilVW wrote: »
    :D C4 Sales are still calling Channel 5, "Five" (a name they ditched 2 or 3 years ago) but they're not on zero, thankfully. :)

You must be pleased with Channel 5's all-day share yesterday (6.3% inc +1). They beat Channel 4 handily (4.7% inc +1). Very cheekily, C4 Sales bundle 4Seven into their C4 Total figure (5.0%). That's a stretch for even the most ardent +1-enthusiasts!
    I know, crafty buggers. Not that bundling it in yesterday changes the picture massively with C5 still miles in front!!
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    Very good for the CBB final. Its rated excellently this series. A nice start to 2013 for Channel 5.

I feel like after all the snow we've had recently no shows have benefited from a large snow boost. Corrie did well - but I'd expect it at those levels anyway regardless of the snow due to the time of year. Hugely infront of EE though last night. Is this just a minor blip or are things returning to normal after the Xmas boost?! It was down 1m week-on-week.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Newcastle wrote: »
    BBC One is more aggressive with its scheduling than commercial channels these days so that's no surprise!

Hmmm.

Hour long Emmerdale episodes to clash with EastEnders, Coronation Street suddenly moving to Sunday night to clash with the series finale of Call The Midwife series 1, a "special" Midsomer Murders episode that went out the same night The Paradise launched?

I'd say ITV are at it too.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    I know, crafty buggers. Not that bundling it in yesterday changes the picture massively with C5 still miles in front!!

Good for Channel 5. Let's hope they can use the momentum wisely. As I'm sure you're aware :) they have some decent films on over the weekend (The Matrix tonight, Spider-Man 3 tomorrow) and a raft of new series next week (Police Interceptors, Dallas, NCIS, Dangerous Drivers' School, Winter Road Rescue). Should be an interesting week for ratings.

That Rory McGrath / Will Mellor effort on Monday looks intriguing - one that will either do very well or flop massively, I feel.
  • Options
    NewcastleNewcastle Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Hmmm.

Hour long Emmerdale episodes to clash with EastEnders, Coronation Street suddenly moving to Sunday night to clash with the series finale of Call The Midwife series 1, a "special" Midsomer Murders episode that went out the same night The Paradise launched?

I'd say ITV are at it too.
    Didn't say they weren't and as a commercial broadcaster I'd expect them to schedule aggressively. Just said I consider the BBC to be more aggressive in its scheduling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Didn't say they weren't and as a commercial broadcaster I'd expect them to schedule aggressively. Just said I consider the BBC to be more aggressive in its scheduling.

The BBC are more aggressive than they used to be in scheduling; oddly though they sometimes pitch their own big shows against each other (e.g. Bake Off -v- Miranda). It does seem as though the consolidated ratings are what they're interested in, but such clashes even harm the official ratings, as not every casual viewer will record one of them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With Daybreak getting thrashed every morning by BBC Breakfast how much longer will it last

How will ITV replace it

And if GMTV had stayed on air would ratings have fallen still further
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent rating for CBB final, making it the most watched final on Channel 5!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    EE might make up some of the shortfall in in the Sunday omnibus or via timeshift over the weekend.

In case anyone was planning to watch it, the EE omnibus is actually starting now (at 12:30 on BBC Two), not tomorrow as is usual. Not sure why; a repeat of Coast and a film are scheduled tomorrow.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slightly down on launch night for CBB, but highest rated final ever on Channel 5. Great result for Channel 5, even more so when considering how boring the series was compared to last winter's!

I bet Channel 4 must be snarling with rage for losing this. I know the summer civvy one doesn't do much now, but the celeb one still has a decent following ands fair play to Channel 5 for getting a rating many ITV formats struggle to get.
    My feelings are the civvy BB is a bit of a dead duck now, but CBB has a few years left as it seems to be averaging 2.4 million a series and the bad weather has helped.
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F1Ken wrote: »
    I think C4 need to totally start again. Your suggestion I think would be good in the interim but after that I would like to see all new shows. It's radical yes but in my opinion it's the only way you find new audiences.

There comes a point were you can squeeze no more life out of a TV show and the same goes for C4 and there old show. I would like to see them trying to fix countdown and getting it back to how it was when RW was still alive. Because it used to be a great laugh more than DOND ever was.

All new shows that don't involve the same old faces! I will kill myself if I see Jamie Oliver one more time when I switch on to C4.

Ken
    C4 daytime definately needs looking at but I wouldn't be too hasty in axing long term staples. C4 were stupid to change it's schedule just two months ahead of the "launch" of BBC1 daytime and that clearly hasn't worked - though there are obvious other factors at play when it comes to Countdown, Deal and Come Dine with Me.

Nick Hewer should go before Countdown does, Deal needs resting not axing - so they need to be serious in finding another daytime hit, not throwing numerous cheap gameshows at the screen, in order to find something to take the pressure off Deal. Come Dine with Me to should probably lead the 5pm hour - it's the strongest show in the hour yet putting it at 5.30pm just invites people to switch to The Chase or Pointless and not come back.

D.M.N. wrote: »
    Meanwhile, Channel 4 had a miserable night:

Channel 4
    20:00 - First Time Farmers: 877k (3.6%)
    21:00 - 8 Out of 10 Cats: 1.34m (5.4%)
    21:30 - The Last Leg: 887k (3.7%)
    22:00 - Paddy's TV Guide: 619k (3.1%)
    22:50 - Alan Carr Live: Spexy Beast: 601k (4.5%)
    Ouch - that almost justifies Million Pound Drop. To be fair though First Time Farmers has remained consistent throughout it's run and in a better slot I think would probably find a bigger audience.
    SamuelW wrote: »
    The Last Leg is one of those shows which critics rave about, as well as people working in the media industry, but the general public arent into so much now that the Paralympics is over. A lot of the time Channel4 show good programs but they dont get the ratings they deserve.
    I've said all along The Last Leg isn't a show that should be going out at 9.30pm - that is at least an hour too early. It's the sort of show which should be ending the nights schedule, not the centre piece of it, and IMO it would be better in the 10.30pm slot after Derek next week (air both on Thursdays say).

And I know there has been much talk here for years over shows like The Big Bang Theory and whether they should be on C4 but at the moment it feels like it would be a promotion for most comedy shows if they got moved to E4.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Good for Channel 5. Let's hope they can use the momentum wisely. As I'm sure you're aware :) they have some decent films on over the weekend (The Matrix tonight, Spider-Man 3 tomorrow) and a raft of new series next week (Police Interceptors, Dallas, NCIS, Dangerous Drivers' School, Winter Road Rescue). Should be an interesting week for ratings.
    The Matrix has come back to C5 after a spell on ITV. I think they are showing the whole trilogy over the next few weeks. Spider-Man 3 is very interesting as it hasn't been shown since 2010 so it should rate very well.

It's great for them to have the likes of NCIS and Police Interceptors back, both dependable shows sure to go well. I do think though Winter Road Rescue is more of an 8pm show or even a 7pm show than a 9pm show and not as well timed this year with the weather getting milder now, so Thursdays aren't as strong as they could be.
    That Rory McGrath / Will Mellor effort on Monday looks intriguing - one that will either do very well or flop massively, I feel.
    It is perfect for that Monday 9pm slot as a fun male-skewing alternative to the drama on the BBC/ITV, in the same mould as Extreme Fishing and Paul Merton's travelogues, going for the same sort of audience as those. It's the first one Rory has done with Will, but he did a couple of series with Paddy McGuinness (groan) along similar lines and they rated quite well. The official series averages were:

Rory and Paddy's Great British Adventure (August-September 2008): [HIGHLIGHT]1.43m[/HIGHLIGHT] across 4 episodes
    Rory and Paddy's Even Greater British Adventure (September-October 2010): [HIGHLIGHT]1.44m[/HIGHLIGHT] across 5 episodes

I'd expect something similar this time around. Will Mellor is a better signing than Paddy McGuinness, who presumably couldn't do it due to other commitments but won't be missed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It is perfect for that Monday 9pm slot as a fun non-serious male-skewing alternative to the drama on the BBC/ITV...

Lewis won't be much of a problem, I agree; however Rory and Will will have comedic competition on BBC One for at least some of their 4-part run (finale of Miranda / ep 5 of MBB , then Outnumbered (r) / finale of MBB; not sure what will be there in two weeks' time, it's still TBA).
  • Options
    ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In case anyone was planning to watch it, the EE omnibus is actually starting now (at 12:30 on BBC Two), not tomorrow as is usual. Not sure why; a repeat of Coast and a film are scheduled tomorrow.

I'd imagine it's because there's a very good chance the Tennis could over run tomorrow, and therefore EastEnders would be pushed out of the schedule altogether. Safer to have it on now, and have programmes tomorrow that can be very easily dropped.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tomorrow night will be interesting with the BBC wheeling out two of its biggest guns, Top Gear and CTM.I suspect the 8-9 pm hour could be a disaster for ITV.
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,763
    Forum Member
    How exactly? Any examples?
    I feel like after all the snow we've had recently no shows have benefited from a large snow boost. Corrie did well - but I'd expect it at those levels anyway regardless of the snow due to the time of year. Hugely infront of EE though last night. Is this just a minor blip or are things returning to normal after the Xmas boost?! It was down 1m week-on-week.
    Haha Roscoe, keep praying to the ratings god. :D
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oucharama. I pity them for being under the illusion that Paddy McGuinness is funny and giving him his own show in a comedy lineup.

Going from Adam Hills to Paddy McGuinness is like switching supermarkets from Waitrose to Lidl.

Given what it did with its 1.3m lead-in, Adam Hills show did really badly as well though. Only 8 Out of 10 Cats worked for them - and even that not so much. I'd imagine CBB had a big part in it though so next week could be better across the board for C4.

Very good finish for CBB, Corrie almost hitting 40% share for one of the episodes is pretty good. But no sign whatsoever of a larger TV audience due to snow. 24.5m at 9pm - 1m less than last week and just a pretty normal audience for the slot I think.
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,223
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Tomorrow night will be interesting with the BBC wheeling out two of its biggest guns, Top Gear and CTM.I suspect the 8-9 pm hour could be a disaster for ITV.

More so than last year because the Skate-Off was at a later time. Don't know what'll happen with Family Fortunes, could see a drop also. Top Gear, if not dented too much, should easily bank 5m.
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    Given what it did with its 1.3m lead-in, Adam Hills show did really badly as well though. Only 8 Out of 10 Cats worked for them - and even that not so much. I'd imagine CBB had a big part in it though so next week could be better across the board for C4.
    Yes, 1.3m for 8 out of 10 Cats isn't great at all when it used to regularly be comfortably around the 2m mark. It's another show C4 seem to have flogged to death as it never seems to be out of the schedules - though where in the schedules is anyones guess.

On another C4 note Big Fat Gypsy Weddings is set to make a return with a Valentine's Day Special. I suspect that won't be the last special we see from it, even if they don't make any more series.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C14E wrote: »

Very good finish for CBB, Corrie almost hitting 40% share for one of the episodes is pretty good. But no sign whatsoever of a larger TV audience due to snow. 24.5m at 9pm - 1m less than last week and just a pretty normal audience for the slot I think.

With +1 included it looks even worse for The Last Leg. Cats got 1.56m but only 1.04m stuck around for The Last Leg. Cats is likely to be close to 2m next week so we'll see if he does any better but my hopes aren't too high. They'd be better off running an hour of Cats at 9pm like last week with The Last Leg at 10pm. Last week's hour long Cats got 2.1m, almost half of which was in the 16-34 demo so it clearly worked.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ronant wrote: »
    I'd imagine it's because there's a very good chance the Tennis could over run tomorrow, and therefore EastEnders would be pushed out of the schedule altogether. Safer to have it on now, and have programmes tomorrow that can be very easily dropped.

But there's no tennis scheduled now for BBC Two tomorrow; it's all on BBC One. Aha - but it was going to be on BBC Two (barring a Murray final) so EastEnders was put on Saturday to avoid the possible over-run of which you speak. (Today's women's final on BBC Two, with a maximum of three sets, was always unlikely to last the three hours it was scheduled for, and there was 1 hour of disposable repeats afterwards, acting as a buffer, before EE.) They must have taken the decision that it's better not to alter the day of the omnibus after listings have been published, even though having it on Sunday would have been consistent with previous weeks.
  • Options
    GoingtothebeachGoingtothebeach Posts: 19,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a shame The Last Leg underperformed and I hope they persevere with it. It was far funnier than 8 Out of 10 Cats.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    I'm more intrigued as to whether it beat ITV head-to-head.

Looking at Dancc's +1-included breakdown, it looks to me like CBB did beat Great Night Out head-to-head (either with or without +1), but I can't check.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But there's no tennis scheduled now for BBC Two tomorrow; it's all on BBC One. Aha - but it was going to be on BBC Two (barring a Murray final) so EastEnders was put on Saturday to avoid the possible over-run of which you speak. (Today's women's final on BBC Two, with a maximum of three sets, was always unlikely to last the three hours it was scheduled for, and there was 1 hour of disposable repeats afterwards, acting as a buffer, before EE.) They must have taken the decision that it's better not to alter the day of the omnibus after listings have been published, even though having it on Sunday would have been consistent with previous weeks.

Interesting dilemma if the tennis runs beyond 1200 - they can't move the Sunday Politics programme to BBC2 because the English regions can't opt out of BBC2 although the national regions can.
This discussion has been closed.