Top Up TV, will it survive past 2013?

Comments

• Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Should have read the warning signs that have been posted on here a while now.

You never know they might survive.

The fact that they are telling you to subscribe to Sky is a bit of a dead give away that they wont survive :D
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,404
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Should have read the warning signs that have been posted on here a while now.

You never know they might survive.

As both BT Vision and TUTV are "Freeview plus" services, there might be some benefit to BT to buy out TUTV to get access to the list of current and former subscribers for marketing purposes.

Although the haven't mentioned anything in that letter, I assume this means that there's no chance of BT Sports 1 and/or 2 appearing on DTT because of BT wanting to exit expensive DTT entirely? That letter still leaves unanswered questions.
    kasg wrote: »
    Doesn't it work as a basic PVR? Isn't that more than you have on your TV?

Indeed, kasg, it should serve as a PVR. To be fair to TUTV themselves, their call centre staff might have had no idea or foreknowledge about the extent and outcome of any negotiations between BT Vision and any of TUTV, Sky and Virgin Media.

As things currently stand, the BT Sports channels can only be obtained by satellite, BT Infinity or online/app, again through BT (see http://www.bt.com/sport/3-ways-to-watch-bt-sport.html). That still leaves VIrgin Media and TUTV customers out in the cold though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As both BT Vision and TUTV are "Freeview plus" services, there might be some benefit to BT to buy out TUTV to get access to the list of current and former subscribers for marketing purposes.

Although the haven't mentioned anything in that letter, I assume this means that there's no chance of BT Sports 1 and/or 2 appearing on DTT because of BT wanting to exit expensive DTT entirely? That letter still leaves unanswered questions.

Indeed, kasg, it should serve as a PVR. To be fair to TUTV themselves, their call centre staff might have had no idea or foreknowledge about the extent and outcome of any negotiations between BT Vision and any of TUTV, Sky and Virgin Media.

As things currently stand, the BT Sports channels can only be obtained by satellite, BT Infinity or online/app, again through BT (see http://www.bt.com/sport/3-ways-to-watch-bt-sport.html). That still leaves VIrgin Media and TUTV customers out in the cold though.

Top Up TV have already sold their subscriber list to Sky (see letter) :D

BT will be putting BT Sports 1 & 2 on DTT. This will probably be done as a transition period until they get everyone over to IPTV.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't sound like its over to me:

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2013/05/09/bt-sport-goes-free

This article gives the impression BT Sports 1, 2 will replace the Sky Sports DTT channels and ESPN will continue. It will just be like a few years ago when they only offered Setanta 1. Maybe they can tie up a deal where you can get the Sky Sports from BT for a higher prices minus the broadband?
    Forum Member
    Top Up TV have already sold their subscriber list to Sky (see letter) :D

BT will be putting BT Sports 1 & 2 on DTT. This will probably be done as a transition period until they get everyone over to IPTV.

However, as far as I know, BT have not yet said anything official about that one. It's certainly not on their current list of viewing options.

If BT are going to put their channels on DTT as an (expensive) interim measure, I assume that they'll be doing what they did on satellite and cut out TUTV just as they cut out Sky so that BT get all the crucial customer service details which can be used to market BT's telephony and broadband services to the sports customers.

If TUTV are going to be cut out of the loop then that'll only leave them with TV Favourites and, on its own, I am not sure that that will guarantee their future.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    However, as far as I know, BT have not yet said anything official about that one. It's certainly not on their current list of viewing options.

If BT are going to put their channels on DTT as an (expensive) interim measure, I assume that they'll be doing what they did on satellite and cut out TUTV just as they cut out Sky so that BT get all the crucial customer service details which can be used to market BT's telephony and broadband services to the sports customers.

If TUTV are going to be cut out of the loop then that'll only leave them with TV Favourites and, on its own, I am not sure that that will guarantee their future.

£12 quid to DTT customers and free of you have broadband IPTV from BT?

Makes sense to put these channels out on DTT they will
    Hope to retain most of the existing ESPN customers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

TUTV have sent letters to their subscribers asking them to phone Sky to get Sports and Entrainment channels is massive clue they are closing.

THE END
    Forum Member
    Doesn't sound like its over to me:

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2013/05/09/bt-sport-goes-free

This article gives the impression BT Sports 1, 2 will replace the Sky Sports DTT channels and ESPN will continue. It will just be like a few years ago when they only offered Setanta 1. Maybe they can tie up a deal where you can get the Sky Sports from BT for a higher prices minus the broadband?
    Apps will be available for Apple and Android platforms and there will also be an online service, bundled in with the linear options. Whatever platform is chosen, the only means of signing up will be direct from BT. The current DTT feed of Sky Sports 1 and 2, also used by Top Up TV, will be dropped in favour of BT Sports. Existing BT customers will be offered alternatives, most likely a multicast version delivered over fibre.
    http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2013/05/09/bt-sport-goes-free/

That article does appear to indicate that the BT Sports channels will be available on DTT but it doesn't say if BT will be selling their channels directly to the public (like they do on satellite so bypassing Sky) or if they'll be doing it through TUTV like the Sky Sports channels were marketed. That TUTV letter that Everything Goes posted did not clarify the issue although it did seem to imply that BT were intent on bypassing TUTV.
    £12 quid to DTT customers and free of you have broadband IPTV from BT?

Makes sense to put these channels out on DTT they will
    Hope to retain most of the existing ESPN customers.

That would make sense and I assume that as soon as the BT Infinity service had been sufficiently expanded then the two DTT channels would be dropped. Again it does seem ti imply, but not directly confirm, that BT are trying to avoid doing deals with TUTV in the same way that BT have avoided doing deals with Sky on satellite.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TUTV have sent letters to their subscribers asking them to phone Sky to get Sports and Entrainment channels is massive clue they are closing.

THE END

And in a few weeks they could easily send letters saying ESPN will continue on DTT.

ESPN is changing on its current form so I'd say wait and see rather than judge before we know what's happening.

I expect BT Sport to be broadcast on DTT via Top Up TV.
    Forum Member

THE END

That is indeed the implication but only a couple weeks ago TUTV themselves were saying that they were in negotiations with BT over the supply of the BT Sports channels. Does that mean that said negotiations ended in non-agreement and failure?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And in a few weeks they could easily send letters saying ESPN will continue on DTT.

ESPN is changing on its current form so I'd say wait and see rather than judge before we know what's happening.

The letter said:

Top Up TV will continue to broadcast Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2 until midnight on Sunday 30th June and ESPN until midnight on Wednesday 31st July.

They have sold their subscriber data base to Sky and told customers to call them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2013/05/09/bt-sport-goes-free/

That article does appear to indicate that the BT Sports channels will be available on DTT but it doesn't say if BT will be selling their channels directly to the public (like they do on satellite so bypassing Sky) or if they'll be doing it through TUTV like the Sky Sports channels were marketed. That TUTV letter that Everything Goes posted did not clarify the issue although it did seem to imply that BT were intent on bypassing TUTV.

That would make sense and I assume that as soon as the BT Infinity service had been sufficiently expanded then the two DTT channels would be dropped. Again it does seem ti imply, but not directly confirm, that BT are trying to avoid doing deals with TUTV in the same way that BT have avoided doing deals with Sky on satellite.

Well BT own the slots don't they? ESPN will continue to show all the American Sport. I can't see BT selling up.

By staying on DTT they have a target audience if between 750,000 to 1 million customers. Many of them don't want a contract or BT broadband.

For that reason I think the three will continue to broadcast. At 12 quid it would be a better deal than Setanta was. The Sky Sports line up was always pitched too high price. Most of TUTV's customers just took ESPN rather than needing Sky and cable.
    Forum Member

But I'm sure that BT will have stripped out all the sports goodies from ESPN for the two major BT Sports channels so leaving the ESPN-branded channel to show stuff like monkey tennis and women's volleyball which probably won't bring in too many punters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The letter said:

Top Up TV will continue to broadcast Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2 until midnight on Sunday 30th June and ESPN until midnight on Wednesday 31st July.

They have sold their subscriber data base to Sky and told customer to call them

Lots of companies sell data to rivals.

They could easily shut down and reopen a new service whilst making a quick buck from hoping some people move to Sky.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But I'm sure that BT will have stripped out all the sports goodies from ESPN for the two major BT Sports channels so leaving the ESPN-branded channel to show stuff like monkey tennis and women's volleyball which probably won't bring in too many punters.

They would most likely offer BT Sports 1 and 2 in place
    of Sky Sports 1-2 and ESPN would be a free extra rather than a standalone.
    Forum Member
    The letter said:

They have sold their subscriber data base to Sky and told customers to call them.

If any negotiations with BT had failed then that would be the logical thing to do to extract the last drop of value from the TUTV brand. Doesn't bode too well for TUTV though if that's what happened.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im going to repost the transcript here as I don't think some people have read it properly or thought through the implications.

What do I need to do now?

Top Up TV will continue to broadcast Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2 until midnight on Sunday 30th June and ESPN until midnight on Wednesday 31st July. You do not need to contact us to cancel your subscription. Top Up TV will automatically stop your sports subscriptions on these dates and they will not appear on your bill after this time. Your final month subscription charge will be calculated so that you do not pay for any services you have not received. The hardware that you are using to receive these channels will continue to work beyond these dates.

So what's next?

Your ability to enjoy premium sports channels is of utmost importance to us. To ensure you can still access great value premium sports channels we have negotiated some exceptional deals with Sky on your behalf. We will be writing to you shortly with full details of these offers on a range of Sky's fantastic sports and entertainment packages. In the mean time call Sky TV now on 08442 410 457 to find out about these great deals.

If you do not wish to be contacted by us regarding these offers, you can opt out from receiving further correspondence. To do this visit offers.topuptv.com/op-out and complete the online opt out form within 21 days of receipt of this letter (fast and free), or call Top Up TV on 08712 714 271 (national rate call charges apply) Please keep this letter to hand as you will need information included to opt out.

I would like to thank you for your custom and hope that you continue to enjoy top sporting action and great entertainment in the future

Best wishes
    Forum Member
    Im going to repost the transcript here as I don't think some people have read it properly or thought through the implications.

What do I need to do now?

Top Up TV will continue to broadcast Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2 until midnight on Sunday 30th June and ESPN until midnight on Wednesday 31st July. You do not need to contact us to cancel your subscription. Top Up TV will automatically stop your sports subscriptions on these dates and they will not appear on your bill after this time. Your final month subscription charge will be calculated so that you do not pay for any services you have not received. The hardware that you are using to receive these channels will continue to work beyond these dates.

So what's next?

Your ability to enjoy premium sports channels is of utmost importance to us. To ensure you can still access great value premium sports channels we have negotiated some exceptional deals with Sky on your behalf. We will be writing to you shortly with full details of these offers on a range of Sky's fantastic sports and entertainment packages. In the mean time call Sky TV now on 08442 410 457 to find out about these great deals.

If you do not wish to be contacted by us regarding these offers, you can opt out from receiving further correspondence. To do this visit offers.topuptv.com/op-out and complete the online opt out form within 21 days of receipt of this letter (fast and free), or call Top Up TV on 08712 714 271 (national rate call charges apply) Please keep this letter to hand as you will need information included to opt out.

I would like to thank you for your custom and hope that you continue to enjoy top sporting action and great entertainment in the future

Best wishes

:eek: It kind of reads like a resignation letter if you see what I mean and thanks for printing out the text in full.
  • VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They would most likely offer BT Sports 1 and 2 in place
    of Sky Sports 1-2 and ESPN would be a free extra rather than a standalone.

BT Sport will be broadcast over DTT, Satellite, IPTV over BT Infinity and for a limited number, ADSL too.

But ESPN is being withdrawn from DTT and will be satellite and IPTV only. So CH5's channel 34 slot will now be up for grabs...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :eek: It kind of reads like a resignation letter if you see what I mean and thanks for printing out the text in full.

No problem :)

In a nutshell. We are closing please subscribe to Sky instead :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    The question is what will Top Up TV replace ESPN with if it does retain channel 34?

Premier Sports might be one possible option since it appears to have a subscription value similar to that of ESPN (£10 per month), plus, it is also a stand alone channel, offering programming in the ESPN audience mould, which would undoubtedly fit Top Up TV subscriber needs quite satisfactorily.

www.premiersports.tv

However, that is just supposition (wishful thinking!) on my part.

Would be a decent alternative though...
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well BT own the slots don't they? ESPN will continue to show all the American Sport. I can't see BT selling up.

By staying on DTT they have a target audience if between 750,000 to 1 million customers. Many of them don't want a contract or BT broadband.

For that reason I think the three will continue to broadcast. At 12 quid it would be a better deal than Setanta was. The Sky Sports line up was always pitched too high price. Most of TUTV's customers just took ESPN rather than needing Sky and cable.

Urrr linkinpark875, sorry to have to break this to you but BT have bought ESPNs UK operation w.e.f. 1/8/13:

http://tv.espn.co.uk/gb/espl/faq/espn-and-bt/

There will be no ESPN channels broadcast in the UK except the one owned by BT, which is BT Sport 3 by another name (they are believed to be keeping it as 'ESPN' for the time being because of the rights that are still to run for a channel under that name).

BT are taking ESPN off of DTT. It will only be broadcast via their multicast TV Connect service (on BT Infinity), via the Sky satellite platform (but billed direct), Virgin Media, and on the BT Sport website to BT customers. If you are not a BT Customer the only way to get it is via a Sky receiver or on Virgin Cable (just announced). Deals with Talk Talk TV and other UK ISPs are in the offing.

Also BT are clearly not going to be retailing BT Sport on DTT to non customers, certainly not via TUTV who are now promoting Sky. The DTT channels are a stopgap until they have expanded their multicast platform to more exchanges. When they can reach maybe 75% of the potential customers who can currently receive via DTT they'll pull the DTT versions off air and force people to receive via the internet (if they don't want to go with the Sky or Virgin platforms).

Pay TV on DTT is reaching the end of the road - IPTV is the future.
    Forum Member
    Shine On wrote: »
    The question is what will Top Up TV replace ESPN with if it does retain channel 34?

Premier Sports might be one possible option since it appears to have a subscription value similar to that of ESPN (£10 per month), plus, it is also a stand alone channel, offering programming in the ESPN audience mould, which would undoubtedly fit Top Up TV subscriber needs quite satisfactorily.

www.premiersports.tv

British Eurosport? That said, there is a kind of finality to the letter that Everything Goes kindly printed out. There was certainly no indication of any replacement channels being provided.

In which case, this would be the future of Top Up TV :eek:!:eek: http://wikisend.com/download/817088/tombstone.jpg
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shine On wrote: »

www.premiersports.tv

This is pretty much the end of TopUp TV as we know it. Premier Sports with about 65,000 subscribers now is not enough to make a viable alternative to ESPN for a sports service.

RIP TopUp TV 2004-2013. Britain's second-longest running pay tv provider after Sky* and DTT's number one running pay TV service.
    * merged companies excluded ;)
    Forum Member
    Urrr linkinpark875, sorry to have to break this to you but BT have bought ESPNs UK operation w.e.f. 1/8/13:

http://tv.espn.co.uk/gb/espl/faq/espn-and-bt/

There will be no ESPN channels broadcast in the UK except the one owned by BT, which is BT Sport 3 by another name (they are believed to be keeping it as 'ESPN' for the time being because of the rights that are still to run for a channel under that name).

BT are taking ESPN off of DTT. It will only be broadcast via their multicast TV Connect service (on BT Infinity), via the Sky satellite platform (but billed direct), Virgin Media, and on the BT Sport website to BT customers. If you are not a BT Customer the only way to get it is via a Sky receiver or on Virgin Cable (just announced). Deals with Talk Talk TV and other UK ISPs are in the offing.

Also BT are clearly not going to be retailing BT Sport on DTT to non customers, certainly not via TUTV who are now promoting Sky. The DTT channels are a stopgap until they have expanded their multicast platform to more exchanges. When they can reach maybe 75% of the potential customers who can currently receive via DTT they'll pull the DTT versions off air and force people to receive via the internet (if they don't want to go with the Sky or Virgin platforms).

Pay TV on DTT is reaching the end of the road - IPTV is the future

That is the way TUTV should have gone like the LCN 225+ streamed channels and then they might have had a chance of long term survival. Why didn't they adapt and change their business model as they have done before?