Three Or EE?

superleeds27superleeds27 Posts: 213
Forum Member
That is the question!

Time to upgrade. I can get 4G from EE, but the prices seems stupid. Where as three seems to offer something quite decent.

Last i heard, 3 was suppose to be good in my City, Hull.

Im currently on O2.

Has anyone had any good/bad experiences with the above providers?

Comments

• chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • megarespmegaresp Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I faced the same question earlier in the year (NW London). In the end Three made a lot more sense than EE as I was about to have no landline so needed to match my 30GB/mo average usage.

When faced with a choice between £36/mo on Three (no datacap), or £76/month with a data capped at 2/3rd of my typical monthly usage, the decision made itself.

I briefly looked at O2, Vodafone and various other 'muppet' companies that offer dribbles of bandwidth and then take your firstborn. Or do the T-mobile thing of offering unlimited data, but capping you at 1GB if you tether (i.e. actually want to make use of the data).

I concluded there were but 2 serious players in the UK if you're looking for data. And in the end, only one of those is actually serious. The other seems to think its Louis Vuitton.

On the practical side, I get 6-12 mbps down and 1-2 up depending on time of day. I have occasionally seen speeds up to 20 mbps down, but this is very rare indeed.

I stream TV (LoveFilm, iPlayer and 4oD) and it sort of works, although I have to put up with a lot of buffering in the evening. It would work a lot better if I could download and watch rather than be forced to stream live.

But during the day when I'm working (web developer) it's fine. In fact I can upload files around 40-60% faster than I could when I had ADSL2 with Zen at my previous address. This is especially true for big files versus lots of little files. There is a lag associated with 3G that makes uploading lots of little files less efficient than it otherwise could be. But if you have no need to upload lots of little files I doubt this will ever bother you.

There are odd moments when 3G and tethering prove especially useful. Yesterday at St Pancras station a colleague and I met in Starbucks. He was logged into the local wifi and it was very slow. I switched on wifi tethering on my phone and he connected to that. It was much much faster. This happens regularly enough for me to be very pleased with my choice.

If Three delivers a decent signal to the places where you use your phone, and you rely on data and don't wish to pay silly prices, then I thoroughly recommend Three.
  • JFCJFC Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    megaresp wrote: »
    I faced the same question earlier in the year (NW London). In the end Three made a lot more sense than EE as I was about to have no landline so needed to match my 30GB/mo average usage.

When faced with a choice between £36/mo on Three (no datacap), or £76/month with a data capped at 2/3rd of my typical monthly usage, the decision made itself.

I briefly looked at O2, Vodafone and various other 'muppet' companies that offer dribbles of bandwidth and then take your firstborn. Or do the T-mobile thing of offering unlimited data, but capping you at 1GB if you tether (i.e. actually want to make use of the data).

I concluded there were but 2 serious players in the UK if you're looking for data. And in the end, only one of those is actually serious. The other seems to think its Louis Vuitton.

On the practical side, I get 6-12 mbps down and 1-2 up depending on time of day. I have occasionally seen speeds up to 20 mbps down, but this is very rare indeed.

I stream TV (LoveFilm, iPlayer and 4oD) and it sort of works, although I have to put up with a lot of buffering in the evening. It would work a lot better if I could download and watch rather than be forced to stream live.

But during the day when I'm working (web developer) it's fine. In fact I can upload files around 40-60% faster than I could when I had ADSL2 with Zen at my previous address. This is especially true for big files versus lots of little files. There is a lag associated with 3G that makes uploading lots of little files less efficient than it otherwise could be. But if you have no need to upload lots of little files I doubt this will ever bother you.

There are odd moments when 3G and tethering prove especially useful. Yesterday at St Pancras station a colleague and I met in Starbucks. He was logged into the local wifi and it was very slow. I switched on wifi tethering on my phone and he connected to that. It was much much faster. This happens regularly enough for me to be very pleased with my choice.

If Three delivers a decent signal to the places where you use your phone, and you rely on data and don't wish to pay silly prices, then I thoroughly recommend Three.

I am a web developer as well and ditched off my fixed line two months ago.

On three I get 12-20 download with about 8 in the evening. Sometimes get streaming stuttering but not that often.

Just wanted to add that when Three launch 4g it will be at no extra cost and no silly limits which means downloading a couple of films could eat up your entire monthly bandwidth.

A quick look at EE's Facebook page and the complaints they get could also make up your mind
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    EE are a rip-off. Yes, they provide 4g but it's expensive and the data allowances are terrible.

Three are much (like MASSIVELY) better value but don't do 4g yet. When they do, they've said it'll be the same price as 3g.

Which leaves two points that should decide it for you. Neither of which we can answer:

1. Do you need 4g right now? If you wait, Three are far better value.
    2. Coverage. No idea what the signal is like in Hull. You're best to test it yourself. I switched from O2 to Three as the signal is far better (in Edinburgh) for me. Might be the same for you, might not.
  • superleeds27superleeds27 Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    Well that makes 3 of us web developers then!

I havent had any experience of Three in this area. A few people have said its decent.

O2 Arent offering me anything decent. They're offering me the same deals they offer new customers on thi refresh plan!

Three appeals to me with Unlimited data, i dont use much at the moment because my limit is around 500Mb.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that makes 3 of us web developers then!

I havent had any experience of Three in this area. A few people have said its decent.

O2 Arent offering me anything decent. They're offering me the same deals they offer new customers on thi refresh plan!

Three appeals to me with Unlimited data, i dont use much at the moment because my limit is around 500Mb.

there is a third point to consider with three and EE. Do you want ultra high LTE speeds then EE is probably your best choice as they have more spectrum. but if you happy with 20-30MBs on LTE Three is likely going be better choice as it will be free but take longer to get to your area.
  • clubfoot fcclubfoot fc Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    I live In hull and despite vowing never to use three after a nightmare experience when they first launched I decided to get a s4 mini on three after a few of my mates who are on three said they had been impressed with data speeds

I've only had the phone for 1 day but I'm amazed how good the speeds are. I've yet to see speeds lower than 5mb/s and had a high of 25mb/s

very impressed so far
  • lost boylost boy Posts: 1,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    megaresp wrote: »

Quoted for no other reason than to add my agreement - particularly with the bits in bold.
    JFC wrote: »
    A quick look at EE's Facebook page and the complaints they get could also make up your mind

You're not kidding :eek: there are people moaning on Three's Facebook page too, but that all looks like a tea party compared to the carry on on EE's Facebook.
  • John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem with three is they have no 2g network. If you drive a lot for a living, or in the field as it were, there are many many places where your call will drop.

Just something to consider..
  • Prof-xProf-x Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Ultra High Speed LTE is a fallacy surely?

EE doubled their LTE speeds but it's completely pointless with the data allowance they are offering.

If you need double LTE speeds you would only benefit when downloading extremely large files. OS updates for example or full HD movies.

Even streaming HD you only needs to wait a few seconds to buffer on most services even on HSDPA+... DC-HSDPA is only marginally quicker.

A similar scenario would be downloading albums from iTunes.

I think you would only benefit from download very large files which i think in reality you would avoid doing because of the measly data caps.

There is of course an additional issue, if you do some how manage silly speeds like 60-150Mb as advertised you are also limited by throttling at the senders side.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem with three is they have no 2g network. If you drive a lot for a living, or in the field as it were, there are many many places where your call will drop.

Just something to consider..

Three use EE (Orange/TMobile) for 2G voice, so you shouldn't lose voice connectivity anywhere.

you won't get a 2G data connection though.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prof-x wrote: »
    Ultra High Speed LTE is a fallacy surely?

EE doubled their LTE speeds but it's completely pointless with the data allowance they are offering.

If you need double LTE speeds you would only benefit when downloading extremely large files. OS updates for example or full HD movies.

Even streaming HD you only needs to wait a few seconds to buffer on most services even on HSDPA+... DC-HSDPA is only marginally quicker.

A similar scenario would be downloading albums from iTunes.

I think you would only benefit from download very large files which i think in reality you would avoid doing because of the measly data caps.

There is of course an additional issue, if you do some how manage silly speeds like 60-150Mb as advertised you are also limited by throttling at the senders side.

I agree in principle there with you do need a big amount of data to truly use LTE to it's maximum potential. Not everyone will need to download massive amounts of data, and I am sure a lot of people will be happy, with 10GB or 20GB for 10 to 15 pounds more. For some people it will be about getting better indoor coverage for example or if they in a congested area getting decent speeds. Honestly I think you would struggle on HSPA+ to stream a HD film you need a steady 6-8MB connection while you could get that on HSPA+ it wouldn't be easiest thing to get specially indoors. You are limited by throttling of websites you are correct and at moment I agree you would struggle to find anywhere you could download at true LTE speeds but also no-one at moment can use the full speeds of EE.
  • John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    Three use EE (Orange/TMobile) for 2G voice, so you shouldn't lose voice connectivity anywhere.

you won't get a 2G data connection though.

No they don't, we'll, ok, it's kinda inbetween.

They used to use Orange 2g as a fallback but in most areas that has been turned off now as they consider the 3G signal from themselves is sufficient. On more rural roads though, the 2g backup simply isn't there or the handover to it is painfully slow at best. I also found that the handover I back from 2g to 3G was even slower and as there is no data allowed while on 2g, you couldn't do anything even though you knew you were in a decent 3G area.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No they don't, we'll, ok, it's kinda inbetween.

They used to use Orange 2g as a fallback but in most areas that has been turned off now as they consider the 3G signal from themselves is sufficient. On more rural roads though, the 2g backup simply isn't there or the handover to it is painfully slow at best. I also found that the handover I back from 2g to 3G was even slower and as there is no data allowed while on 2g, you couldn't do anything even though you knew you were in a decent 3G area.

reports here of the 2G fallback network still in place in various locations - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1806088
  • thebtmanthebtman Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I solely use Three for all my internet access on the move and at home. I get at home 15 - 18Mbps, whilst my neighbours get 2 - 3Mbps (its rural). There is no limit and I download what I want from where I want, including Sky On Demand.

For 26 quid a month I get 2000mins 5000txtx and unlimited internet access at a really decent speed.

As a customer since they started I have watched this network evolve and they are now one of the best imo and their prices cannot be beaten.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is the question!

Time to upgrade. I can get 4G from EE, but the prices seems stupid. Where as three seems to offer something quite decent.

Last i heard, 3 was suppose to be good in my City, Hull.

Im currently on O2.

This may be of use to you http://www.rootmetrics.com/uk/compare-operators/united-kingdom/hull/hull-may-2013/
    Forum Member
    Bought a pay as you go sim and stuck £10 on.

Only seeing speeds of 250kbps on my Nexus 4 :0
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It'd be helpful if you could state the network? Three? EE?
    Forum Member
    Sorry!

Three
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How many bars of signal?

I live in a small village and my Nexus 4 is showing 1 tiny bar of signal and I'm still getting 2.1 down and 1.3 up. Could it be that the mast you're trying to connect to is heavily congested?
    Forum Member
    3, mostly 4. H+

APN settings maybe? Custom ROM causing issues? Hardly likely but...
  • megarespmegaresp Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3, mostly 4. H+

APN settings maybe? Custom ROM causing issues? Hardly likely but...

If you happen to be awake at 5am sometime, try again then and see if things improve. If they do it's likely to be a congestion issue. If they don't then it's probably a signal problem.

Having said that, it may be worth checking to see if they happen to be working on your local mast at the moment. There is a way to do this, and hopefully another Forumite will magically appear to post the link as I don't have it.

If Three can't deliver decent speeds in your area that's a shame from a value-for-money perspective, but sadly these things do happen.
    Forum Member
    Strangely enough i was awake around half 3. Got around 3M Down and Up.

A few people i know who live around the same area as me, get 18Mb down. Wonder if it's a payas you go thing?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Doesn't sound right? 2/3 bars of H+ and I'm usually into double figues on down speed ....

Could also be a dud mast. The one near my office was borked recently (I blame the stupid tram works). Still showed a full signal pretty much but was lucky to get 0.5 up ....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    reports here of the 2G fallback network still in place in various locations - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1806088

I rarely see it now. On the occasion that I do lose signal, I get nothing. The Mrs is on EE and she will have 2G.

I've seen the 2G backup twice in the last year. It's a shame because there's some locations that are urban but due to hills you get no 3G. I guess Three's calculations are off in these areas.