Hotline Miami

fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
Forum Member
✭✭
It's been announced that the acclaimed PC retro shooter Hotline Miami is coming to the PS3 and PS Vita. It's cross-buy too, so get it on the PS3 and the Vita version is your's for free.

It's been getting loads of 8's 9's and even 10's for the PC version in the gaming press.

One to look out for.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/hotline-miami/critic-reviews

http://youtu.be/VPHyMmXldjU

Comments

• Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    It's been announced that the acclaimed PC retro shooter

At least get the genre right! :p Shooting is often the worst thing to do in this game as it draws attention to you, it's always best to use a blunt weapon and smash their faces in quickly going from room to room.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    At least get the genre right! :p .

Murder-em-up? :)
    Forum Member
    Murder-em-up?

That's better. :p
  • Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't realise how tailored this was to a keyboard+mouse control scheme. Couldn't more have been done to address this in the port? Aiming is really shitty with the dual shock.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just like a twin-stick shooter, except that you still have to press a "shoot" button. That's not to say I'm entirely comfortable with it though!

It's super, super tough, I'm only about three levels in and I'm averaging about 15 deaths per level so far. But it just makes passing a level that much more satisfying. Great game, an old school aesthetic and an old school ethos to gameplay and difficulty too.

I must admit, when I first saw it I thought it was going to be just a 2D GTA clone, the same as Retro City Rampage, I was wrong though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    15 deaths per level?? That's more like my average rate per minute :o
  • Conor the BoldConor the Bold Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's so ****ing hard.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just plan ahead instead of trying to be crazy accurate while moving at 100mph. I like to pick off those with melee weapons first then i pickup a gun and try and find a spot where I can bottle the wave of enemies for me to pick off.
    Forum Member
    Nice to see this game getting some positive attention from Playstation Users! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gotta be honest, as a game I don't love it. The whole style, presentation, story etc...great, different and interesting. But playing it is mostly frustrating due to the bad controls and awful collision detection which has seen me die needlessly no less than 100 times. That and it's just so simplistic and unsatisfying.
    Forum Member
    That and it's just so simplistic and unsatisfying.

It's an Arcade style game focused on killing, how much more were you expecting? :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something to justify the reviews.
    Forum Member
    Something to justify the reviews.

I guess it's just not your thing then, sorry to hear. Not every game needs to be an emotional tear jerker with a Hans Zimmer like score to get good reviews, sometimes good old fasioned addictive gameplay is what wins, same reason with Super Meat Boy, the game is basic, but it hits that right note of being addictive and rewarding, things such as instant retry, etc, account for these arcade type games.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't referring to the story, I already said I loved all that side of it. Just the gameplay, which isn't particularly fun. To me, at least.