Homicidal (1960)

ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,002
Forum Member
✭✭
I love this, the Happy Shopper version of "Psycho".
Genial showman/chancer William Castle takes Hitchcock's and Robert Bloch's basic ingredients: creepy isolated house, old lady, cross dressing, useless cops, remarkably unobservant supporting cast and combines them with a cheek that even Hitchcock would have balked at.
Jean Arless is great as Emily the knife-wilding loon in pursuit of a fortune she can only inherit by bumping off the people who know her secret.
Also includes the "Fright Break" during which the more lily-livered audience members can leave the room or cinema.
See it if you dare.:)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love William Castle. The ultimate movie showman. There was a doc about him that used to pop up quite regularly on the Sky Arts Channel, and of course there's Matinee, Joe Dante's love letter to Castle's work, with John Goodman playing the man himself in all but name. One of Dante's least shown films on TV, sadly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Castle
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've still got a VHS Channel 4 recording of a Homicidal broadcast - It's a good 10 years at least I'd guess since I last saw it! :eek:

The thing that most sticks in my mind is a very graphic opening murder - without spoilers, my memory suggests that someone gets a knife plunged into them - front view - with resulting blood flow from their startled mouth. Although of course blatantly hot on the heels of Psycho, still strong stuff enough indeed - for all his recourse to physical gimmickry, Castle was certainly capable of conjuring up audacious enough on-screen imagery!

Come to think of it, it seems Castle's strongest thriller/horrors were made in the 60s, ushered in by Homicidal. The Tingler, Strait-Jacket (with Dame Joan C) and I Saw What You Did (again with same, albeit considerably less centre-stage) are all great black-and-white genre stuff. I never did care much for the likes of say, House On Haunted Hill - which just seemed plain boring.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Castle's 1958 chiller "Macabre" was also quite good but not a patch on "Homicidal".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    I thought Vincent Price did House on Haunted Hill? No?
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Vincent Price did House on Haunted Hill? No?

He starred in it but William Castle produced and directed it, complete with "Emergo".:)