The Tenth Doctor and Rose Tyler

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
Forum Member
Most people on here seem to hate them together so I was just wondering if there were any people on here who love them together? I know I do:D:D I thought Rose was better with Ten than when she was with Nine. I can't wait for them to come back for the 50th.

Comments

• scumcatscumcat Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    Most people on here seem to hate them together so I was just wondering if there were any people on here who love them together? I know I do:D:D I thought Rose was better with Ten than when she was with Nine. I can't wait for them to come back for the 50th.

I thought the dynamics of her and 9 worked better. I think the stories of her and 10 suffered because of all the romance stuff too much was focused on that. It really turned me against her. In my mind 10 was better with Martha and especially Donna.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked them. They certainly had their moments and the original parting in 'Doomsday' was one of the greatest Doctor Who moments ever. But there was a slight...smugness to their interaction throughout much of S2 and Rose cast far too great a shadow over the RTD era as a whole which was to the detriment of the character of Rose in general. It was as if RTD became too in love with his own creation. And you can't blame him because she was brilliant and Piper amazed pretty much everyone with her performance. But there was a slight sense of her becoming bigger than the show itself as witnessed by the fact Martha was never able to escape the post-Rose blues and it hampered her entire season. She was like a rebound and it did her no favors and didn't allow her to develop much in her own right. She was forever cast by the writing as 'not Rose'.

Moffat handled the Ponds exit much better by paying tribute but not allowing them to hamper Claras character too much.

I think Rose was great and alot of the dislike comes from the post S2 treatment of the character. Her return was badly handled. I am almost sure if you took the abundance of references to her in S3 out and erased her presence in 4 altogether she would be much more fondly remembered and would be up there with Sarah Jane as one of the all time greats. For me she still is but I understand the Rose fatigue. They overplayed her a bit much.

That said I cannot wait to see her again in the Special. She has certainly earned her place in it.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Nine and Rose was more a platonic relationship.

Ten and Rose was more a physical/aesthetic relationship.

At least that's how I saw it. I personally prefer the former, as it is less in your face and far more intimate. It maintains the mystery of the Doctor's character and keeps his feelings vague whilst allowing a refreshing bond with his companion :)
  • Rose-AddictRose-Addict Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10/Rose were my favourite team too, and probably always will be. Very memorable and special dynamic, and one which cannot be replicated. David and Billie were brilliant!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked them. They certainly had their moments and the original parting in 'Doomsday' was one of the greatest Doctor Who moments ever. But there was a slight...smugness to their interaction throughout much of S2 and Rose cast far too great a shadow over the RTD era as a whole which was to the detriment of the character of Rose in general. It was as if RTD became too in love with his own creation. And you can't blame him because she was brilliant and Piper amazed pretty much everyone with her performance. But there was a slight sense of her becoming bigger than the show itself as witnessed by the fact Martha was never able to escape the post-Rose blues and it hampered her entire season. She was like a rebound and it did her no favors and didn't allow her to develop much in her own right. She was forever cast by the writing as 'not Rose'.

Moffat handled the Ponds exit much better by paying tribute but not allowing them to hamper Claras character too much.

I think Rose was great and alot of the dislike comes from the post S2 treatment of the character. Her return was badly handled. I am almost sure if you took the abundance of references to her in S3 out and erased her presence in 4 altogether she would be much more fondly remembered and would be up there with Sarah Jane as one of the all time greats. For me she still is but I understand the Rose fatigue. They overplayed her a bit much.

That said I cannot wait to see her again in the Special. She has certainly earned her place in it.

These are more or less my thoughts as well. She was a great character, but I felt RTD paid a little too much attention to her and tried to make her as big as the show itself (no single character should be, not even individual Doctors), and I feel that hurt the character more than anything. In my opinion, once a Companion leaves the TARDIS, they shouldn't return, and if they do it should mean something other than them just being there (Series 4 failed at this for not just Rose, but for everyone involved in the finale).

What was originally a love story that we all knew would end in most likely tragedy, did indeed end in tragedy, a sort of sad beauty, then turned into some sort of bad fanfic (and I've written enough bad fanfics to know).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrfipp wrote: »
    These are more or less my thoughts as well. She was a great character, but I felt RTD paid a little too much attention to her and tried to make her as big as the show itself (no single character should be, not even individual Doctors), and I feel that hurt the character more than anything. In my opinion, once a Companion leaves the TARDIS, they shouldn't return, and if they do it should mean something other than them just being there (Series 4 failed at this for not just Rose, but for everyone involved in the finale).

What was originally a love story that we all knew would end in most likely tragedy, did indeed end in tragedy, a sort of sad beauty, then turned into some sort of bad fanfic (and I've written enough bad fanfics to know).

Exactly this. I don't think RTD was writing for the fans as such as he has never struck me as the kind of writer to be swayed by public opinion but the return of Rose certainly felt like it and was his possibly only really bad decision while show runner. Like you say he created a moment of real tragic beauty in 'Doomsday' and then diluted it far too quickly. Sure. The original episode remains as powerful as ever but it is forever tainted with the silly rehashing we got in 'Journeys End'. I wish RTD had been brave enough to leave it. The maddest thing is that S4 didn't need Rose Tyler at all. Donna was so good and the rest of the storyline compelling enough that the return of Rose felt like too much. It would almost be understandable if the story had needed some sort of hype injection to get viewers but it didn't at all. Ultimately it damaged the Rose legacy and was self indulgent.

A real shame.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved Rose throughout both her two series. I've never seen the difference between her character in the two series the way others seem to.

I do agree that the Doctor's relentless mooning in series 3 was irritating, especially when he talked about her as if she was something she wasn't - "Rose would know what to do" Well, no, she wouldn't; she was brave and far from stupid, but she didn't have any more knowledge than Martha. And her return in series 4 was a huge, huge mistake IMO.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    I liked their relationship and thought it was a good,interesting twist on the character of the Doctor to actually have him fall in love with a young Earth girl. We already knew he could have feelings for the opposite sex as he had (presumebly) been maaried, had children and at least one grandaughter. Just because we had'nt really seen this aspect of the Doctor's character in the past (Third Doctor and Jo ?) made this relationship extra special and proved what a strong character Rose was, to have made a Timelord fall in love with her.
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved them at the time, now I just like them. Someone on twitter put 'I miss Ten and Rose, the storylines were the best back then!'. I had to disagree, I feel like there were only two really brilliant stories (Fireplace and Impossible Planet/Satan Pit), some good ones and some of them a bit crap.
  • prof_traversprof_travers Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    tomwozhere wrote: »
    I loved them at the time, now I just like them. Someone on twitter put 'I miss Ten and Rose, the storylines were the best back then!'. I had to disagree, I feel like there were only two really brilliant stories (Fireplace and Impossible Planet/Satan Pit), some good ones and some of them a bit crap.

Perhaps they were wearing rose-tinted glasses ...

:o

I'll get my coat ...

:D
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Rose was much better with 9 (and Jack) but the thing that ruined it for me was that after such a tear-jerking exit - not so much for me as I thought it was a bit OTT, but never mind - when she came back, she was shunted out of the TARDIS and fobbed off with a copy. That really turned me off 10 a bit more and it was so disappointing and an anti-climax after the intensity of the Bad Wolf Bay stuff.
  • GilaGoraGilaGora Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The less said about them the better. Rose was much more likeable with Nine.
  • jedi mattjedi matt Posts: 1,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I go with the minority of people by saying I thought that Rose and ten were a great pair even though I liked both Martha and Donna I thought that series 2 it was a great series.
  • barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    My favourite series of Doctor Who were when Rose and the tenth doctor were together. I loved them.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved Ten and Rose. I never believed in Nine and Rose at all.

Series 2 was wonderful - the lightheartedness, and sheer sense of fun as Ten and Rose laughed their way through the Universe. It made the end even more heartrending. I wasn't keen on the second ending to Rose's story, when she got left with the second hand Doctor. I thought she'd been short-changed. I've grown to like it better since, :)

I must say I do like the way the Doctor gets romantically involved with people since his return. One of the best bits of new Who for me.

Maybe it was losing his whole species which made him appreciate Earth Girls more?;):D
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the big mistake he made was trying to repeat the whole Bad Wolf Bay sequence.

Had she made her brief returns in series 4 and come back to help Donna in Turn Left it would've been a great reappearance for the character. Still tragically unable to see the Doctor but managed to give him and his new companion a helping hand. Her Doomsday exit still intact.

But dragging her back into the Tardis and immediately an episode later trying to repeat her original exit was just too far.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you mean romantically?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    Do you mean romantically?

I mean the whole relationship. It just seemed forced to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    I think the big mistake he made was trying to repeat the whole Bad Wolf Bay sequence.

Had she made her brief returns in series 4 and come back to help Donna in Turn Left it would've been a great reappearance for the character. Still tragically unable to see the Doctor but managed to give him and his new companion a helping hand. Her Doomsday exit still intact.

But dragging her back into the Tardis and immediately an episode later trying to repeat her original exit was just too far.

I agree, that would have been better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tennant and Piper = best Doctor and Campion of all time! :D
    I still follow what they do and spend time watching tons of fan-made VTs on youtube :o lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    The romantic relationship made sense from a plot standpoint, as the Doctor was still fresh out of the Time War and was left a broken man in need of companionship, so really, it didn't really matter who he met. It just happened to be Rose, and since she was intent on caring for this sad man, he readily fell in love. Out of character for the Doctor overall, but the circumstances were quite unique.

My problem with it was that there was a bit too much focus put on the romance and stuff. And then "Doomsday" would have been a great sendoff for the character (the Doctor suddenly and unexpectedly loses her, but at least she ends up with everyone else she could possibly love) if only she wasn't brought back (and then given Hand Doctor).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Series 2 was wonderful - the lightheartedness, and sheer sense of fun as Ten and Rose laughed their way through the Universe. It made the end even more heartrending. I wasn't keen on the second ending to Rose's story, when she got left with the second hand Doctor. I thought she'd been short-changed. I've grown to like it better since, :)

:D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    I didn't mind Rose in the first series, but had to switch her off quite early in Series Two. I do mean 'her' as well. The decision to concentrate on the Companion and the Companion's family is popular with some, but I'm capable of watching a programme which doesn't feature someone just like me but living an exciting (in some ways) life, getting entangled (OMG!) in little love triangles - Mickey, Jack, Sarah-Jane, that one nonsensically abandoned by the Doctor with sophisticated alien technology still in his head...The Doctor became a gobby tween when he and Rose were at their worst. They might have got better - I have no interest in revisiting any of RTD's Who if I missed it first time round. However if you disliked the Companion, the Companion-centric approach made the whole programme unbearable. It's not as if there was stunning dialogue or thought provoking sci-fi to make up for it.

I know that the soap opera slur is hurled at both versions of 21st Century Who. However I think what Moffat was aiming for, was Event Television. Who Shot JR?! Free the Weatherfield One! When Den tried to divorce Thingy on Christmas Day, very early on, plus that family of girls where one turned out to be another's mother (Ok, I confess, I've never watched Eastenders and haven't watched a soap in years, but that's the point - they are stories even I register, because they reach the front page rather than the relevant paragraph on the tv listings page). The most obvious example is "Luke - I am your father" - still talked about over 30 years later - which I presume is what River's "I'm your daughter" was supposed to replicate. How successful Moffat had been is definitely up for debate, however I do understand what he was trying to do. RTD's Who, on the other hand, was about the other 51 weeks a year of the soaps, which is all about going down the Market, what people are having for their tea, rows with parents, being bored by your job, who's moving out and (OMG!) who fancies who. Leave out the time travel and Rose's life was less interesting than mine.

I couldn't believe that this brilliant time travelling alien would fall for Miss Ever So Average. It just made me despise him that he'd need this selfish, self absorbed, whining child. Making a rival of Mickey, over Rose? Where's your pride! Also, I still find simple minded teen falls for very old man bordering on creepy. An adult would accept that she had a crush and act carefully, rather than take advantage of her rampant father issues. I really don't want my Doctor to be a creepy old man. In the interest of fairness, Eleven did his fair bit of stalking - at least he thought Clara was inexplicable, but does Moffat like his childlike women to actually still be children which is no better.

I have no problem with the Doctor having a lady-friend, at least River was a woman, not a girl, but it's been done so badly most of the time, it might be better if they dropped the whole idea...
  • PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    I don't hate Rose (or the Tenth Doctor) she was a very good character and an inspired way to bring Who into a new era.

I didn't like Ten and Rose together for several reasons, most are simply objective and are probably the very same reasons that others seem to love them. For me mostly though it was because I don't particularly see The Doctor as a romantic lead and don't watch the show for romance. I don't even like Rivers story much but she at least is off screen a lot and is an independent character when she is in the story. Rose by contrast became a Mary Sue damsel in distress, rendered only important in relation to her man - even her family were not important enough to her by the end.

I find that a very old fashioned (if not still somehow popular view) of women in storytelling. It's like Mills and Boon of Who, And as for expecting someone to be happy with a clone of the person they love- well, best no go there at all;)

I like Rose and I liked The Tenth Doctor but I'll leave Ten Rose appreciation to someone else because I don't think that this story-line did favours to either character.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The more you think about the Journeys End pay off the worse and creepier it gets! And I've thought about it alot! Oh Russell. How could you?

Edit- in fact he should have killed Rose off in that episode as he wrote himself into corner. Would have been much more poignant and fitting. She and Donna save the day. And they return to Bad Wolf Bay to bury her. Problem solved.