Odd picture issue on BBC1 HD and BBC HD

hdmoghdmog Posts: 141
Forum Member
I have a Panasonic 37PX80 TV. Although the resolution of this set is only 720p, it is capable of receiving a 1080i or p input. I watch everything with picture overscan turned off which sometimes means I get artifacts on the picture edges with SD . However, recently I have begun to occasionaly notice what I thought were artifacts on the left hand side of the picture on both BBC1 HD and BBC HD. On closer inspection what I am actually seeing is the last column or so of pixels from the right hand edge of the picture appearing on the left hand side. Has anyone else noticed this, and is it likely to be a tramsmission problem, a Sky HD box problem or my TV? it doen't seem to appear on any other HD channels.

Comments

• MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a similar problem at the top of the screen in the days of analogue. I cured it with a strip of black PVC tape.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Hi, is your setting on just scan if so try switching to 16-9 I think you need overscan on with just scan. chris.
  • NSMHDNSMHD Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    I have noticed the exact same thing on both hd channels since before Xmas very annoying when you notice it, I have told the bbc about the issue. Nice to see I'm not going mad! Full pixel mode without overscan is the best way to view hd channels, so hopefully they will fix the issue soon.
  • hdmoghdmog Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    Good to know it's not just me, although it does seem a bit odd that not many people are noticing it.
  • RestorerRestorer Posts: 2,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hdmog wrote: »
    Good to know it's not just me, although it does seem a bit odd that not many people are noticing it.

Most people do not have their sets on 1:1 pixel mapping since overscan is the default setting on just about all TVs.

There is no excuse though for the screen garbage - it's just lazy broadcasting :mad:.
    Forum Member
    Yes your right there Restorer, Just to let everyone know I have alerted Andy Quested on the bbc Internet blog http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2011/12/strictly_come_dancing_final_3d_1.html#comments
    He has told the relevant people and they are looking into the issue, sowe will have to wait and see.
    Forum Member
    NSMHD wrote: »
    Yes your right there Restorer, Just to let everyone know I have alerted Andy Quested on the bbc Internet blog http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2011/12/strictly_come_dancing_final_3d_1.html#comments
    He has told the relevant people and they are looking into the issue, sowe will have to wait and see.

Let's hope they sort it out quicker than they did the irritating white dot in the bottom right hand corner. Seems to be getting worse - it was very noticable throughout "Sherlock" last night
  • RestorerRestorer Posts: 2,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hdmog wrote: »
    Let's hope they sort it out quicker than they did the irritating white dot in the bottom right hand corner. Seems to be getting worse - it was very noticable throughout "Sherlock" last night

There is not much, if any, quality to be gained by turning overscan off for broadcast TV. In theory you will be getting 5% or so increase in resolution but the interlaced image has been so heavily processed anyway by the time it gets displayed on the screen that I doubt the most eagle-eyed among us would be able to honestly spot any differences ;).
    Forum Member
    Oh great I haven't watched Sherlock yet, it is very annoying once you know about it, I think one of the problems is that as with the white dot issue it was problem with the vision mixer which is an important part of the chain, which is why it took so long to fix.
    Forum Member
    Restorer wrote: »
    There is not much, if any, quality to be gained by turning overscan off for broadcast TV. In theory you will be getting 5% or so increase in resolution but the interlaced image has been so heavily processed anyway by the time it gets displayed on the screen that I doubt the most eagle-eyed among us would be able to honestly spot any differences ;).

It's not so much about the resolution quality (although I can see a slight difference on my set) but about the amount of picture that is lost. If I overscan on my 37 inch TV, I lose at least half an inch of image on either side and similar amounts top and bottom. Entire objects can disappear from the edges of the picture, and the image has an unaturally "crowded" feel. It also means that those wretched DOG's take up an even bigger area of the screen.

This current problem is not evident on other HD channels, so I shouldn't need to adjust my set to address the shortcomings of an individual broadcaster.
    Forum Member
    NSMHD wrote: »

It's still happening -they don't seem in too much of a hurry to sort it out.
    Forum Member
    I know, it is particular annoying in dark scenes! All gone quiet on the blog as well.
    I remember it took ages for them to fix the white dot issue which turned out to be a fault with the vision mixer.
    This picture issue is apparent on all Freeview HD channels, BBC HD channels on DSat and also on the HD channel the bbc are testing on a different transponder so all fingers point to the bbc possibly the encoders? Remember the HD mix on Freeview is the BBC's.