BBC weather App

LysandarLysandar Posts: 1,240
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Where the flipping hell is it to download?
It's NOT in the iTunes Store (after searching for 'BBC Weather App) and it is not on any BBC site.
Loads of waffle about it but WHERE is it to download?

Comments

• SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're using an iPad, remember to click the "iPhone app" filter at the top.
  • LysandarLysandar Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're using an iPad, remember to click the "iPhone app" filter at the top.

Brilliant.
    Very many thanks.
    I'm always learning......:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully there will be a dedicated iPad version before too long.
  • LysandarLysandar Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it matter an iPhone App being on an iPad.
    Am I not getting all its functions?
    Seems perfectly OK
  • AxGAxG Posts: 25,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lysandar wrote: »
    Does it matter an iPhone App being on an iPad.
    Am I not getting all its functions?
    Seems perfectly OK

Not really, but you're not using the iPads full display, which would be nice.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully there will be a dedicated iPad version before too long.
    Are developers actually banned from simply coding the app to suit all different screen resolutions like they do on Android?

On the free apps this does not quite make sense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Are developers actually banned from simply coding the app to suit all different screen resolutions like they do on Android?

On the free apps this does not quite make sense.

Not being an iOS developer, my answer can only be I don't know. However, I don't recall seeing any fit-for-all apps so maybe it is impossible, or maybe I've just not seen them. Perhaps iPhones and iPads have slightly different APIs.

In any case I would imagine the overall download size would be needlessly larger if you are including a typically much more graphically detailed iPad version in an iPhone app installer. Probably more efficient (for the consumer) to keep the two versions seperate.

Not that any of this would have any bearing on why there is no dedicated iPad version yet. When comparing eg. sky+ app, bbc iplayer app etc between the iphone and ipad versions it is clear the ipad apps have been completely redesigned from the ground up. I expect an eventual iPad version of BBC Weather to look quite different.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably more efficient (for the consumer) to keep the two versions seperate.
    Before IOS, in the history of coding this is something that I think has never been done.

Code adapts for a multitude of factors. Coding and maintaining multi versions is something seldom done, so even here it would be the exception rather than the norm.
    And the 3GS, 4, 5 already have 3 different resolutions and 2 different aspect ratios. Plus the Mini is very close to the 5 and quite distant to the Retina.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Before IOS, in the history of coding this is something that I think has never been done.

Code adapts for a multitude of factors. Coding and maintaining multi versions is something seldom done, so even here it would be the exception rather than the norm,

Again. It depends if they have varying APIs? I would expect multi versions to be the norm for software released on xbox/ps3/wii. Or in the case of the BBC Weather app, I would expect the source code of the iOS and Android versions to be very much seperate even though from the user's point of view they are near identical.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again. It depends if they have varying APIs?
    As said adapting accounts for parameter variation.

Apple rules more likely.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And the 3GS, 4, 5 already have 3 different resolutions and 2 different aspect ratios. Plus the Mini is very close to the 5 and quite distant to the Retina

Well it is certainly true that within the iphone and ipad platforms, different screen technology can be targetted within the same app. An example is an astronomy app I have for my ipad which has improved graphics on the retina models.

I think in most cases the ipad vs iphone dedicated versions of apps are completely different programs.
  • JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, its up to the developer. They can have "Universal" apps which work properly on both.