BeetleJuice

SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭✭
One word:

"Dayo"

I LOVE THIS FILM one of my all time favourites, please share you thoughts with me!

Comments

• WhitneyWhitney Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant movie. The opening credits music is incredible, the performances from Catherine O'Hara, Michael Keaton and Winona Ryder are brilliant.

Tim Burton's first classic
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love this movie, its really wierd in places though.
  • BBTIMEBBTIME Posts: 2,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my fav's too. I used to watch this all the time when I was younger and now have it on dvd.
    I liked the opening sequence too and used to try and spot where the real landscape ended and the model one begun. It's a little easier to spot now though :D
    Top movie!
  • Mr CableMr Cable Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love that Tim Burton/Danny Elfman combo!
  • ManchesterLadManchesterLad Posts: 2,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is another film i love , i use to watch it when i was younger at my nanas alot lol, WOW beetlejuice came out 18 years ago.
    Great movie though use to watch it all the time ;)
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Beetlejuice is a great film and a true classic. It is just a pity that you cant get it on special edition on DVD though!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    My favourite film! It's just a masterpiece! The dinner party scene IMO wil never be beaten!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, never will be beaten!

A beautiful bunch, a ripe banana
    I see deadly black tarantula

I also love the song at the end that Winona Ryder dances to

Shake shake shake Senora
  • Digi_MasterDigi_Master Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    beetlejuice! beetlejuice...........

who dares to finished it off :p
  • the_charmed_onethe_charmed_one Posts: 1,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I adore Winona in that, she's so dark and depressed and fabulous, I love her line 'I read that handbook for the recently deceased and it said the living ignore the strange and unusual, I myself am strange and unusual'

classic!!!!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    beetlejuice! beetlejuice...........

who dares to finished it off :p
    beetlejuice :p
  • BexTechBexTech Posts: 12,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It took me 3 or 4 years before I started to enjoy this film.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    I love it, too.

Can someone answer this question for me:

Why does he spell his name Beetlegeuse in the film? Is it because he can't WRITE his proper name down, as well as not being able to say it?!

The song at the end is great. It's by Hary Belafonte. It came on in a film themed bar I went to once, and I loved it :o
  • stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    I love it, too.

Can someone answer this question for me:

Why does he spell his name Beetlegeuse in the film? Is it because he can't WRITE his proper name down, as well as not being able to say it?!

The song at the end is great. It's by Hary Belafonte. It came on in a film themed bar I went to once, and I loved it :o

Well, according to Wikipedia: Betelgeuse (Alpha Orionis) is a semiregular variable star located 427 light-years away [1]. It is the second brightest star in the constellation Orion, and the tenth brightest star in the night sky. Although it has the Bayer designation "alpha", it is not as bright as Rigel (Beta Orionis). It is a vertex of the Winter Triangle asterism.

So that explains it somewhat.
  • royllsroyceroyllsroyce Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched this film and totally forgot how good it was. You don't seem to get the same character development anymore in films.
  • Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely fab film. There has never been anything quite like it before or since.

Winona Ryder was so cool back then, too.
  • WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolute classic. Such fond memories of watching this with my family when we were kids. It's one of those films which will always stay with you. Plus, it works for both children and adults. The opening music is so creepy though lol

P.s Baldwin in THOSE trousers?! Or just me that noticed?
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Though I have become increasingly bored with Burtons schtick over the years, this is probably my fave film of his.

Surprised no one has commented on Keaton's masterful performance in this...he is just a force of nature!

Back when this was released it was just so different to anything that was around at the time.

I think it's the one Burton film that managed to be both commercial, entertaining, crowd-pleasing yet retaining his quirky and bizarre style at the same time.

Plus...I worked at a cinema when it played, and to promote the film I dressed up as Beetlejuice!
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    One of my least favourite movies of all time. Burton should have stuck to making Pee-wee Herman movies.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    One of my least favourite movies of all time. Burton should have stuck to making Pee-wee Herman movies.

What a stupid thing to say.

No issue with someone not liking the film, but to suggest that a director should continue to make the same type of film over and over just to please you?
  • Georges GrunGeorges Grun Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it me or is Michael Keaton generally undervalued?

Dunno about underrated, but certainly he seems to be taken for granted a bit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whatever happened to Michael Keaton - he is a very talented actor, but seems to have had a brief flourish in the late 80'e, early 90's and then pretty much vanished.... Such a shame as he did some cracking films - Pacific Heights in particular was a favourite. He just seemed to start to do trash, like The Dream Team and Multiplicity and then seemed to vanish. I know he popped up in Jackie Brown, but he never had the longevity I thought he deserved.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever happened to Michael Keaton - he is a very talented actor, but seems to have had a brief flourish in the late 80'e, early 90's and then pretty much vanished.... Such a shame as he did some cracking films - Pacific Heights in particular was a favourite. He just seemed to start to do trash, like The Dream Team and Multiplicity and then seemed to vanish. I know he popped up in Jackie Brown, but he never had the longevity I thought he deserved.
    Another cast member... Geena David.

Michael Keaton may not receive top billing, but that also applies to other alumni from Jackie Brown, such as Robert Forster and Pam Grier.

I think the last movie I saw Michael Keaton in was the comedy "The Good Guys(2010)" (costarring with Mark Wahlberg, Will Ferrell) where, he played a Senior Police Officer, and whenever he ever gave advice to his subordinates, referred to TLC, quoting lines from their music.
    Typified by "Dont Go Chasing Waterfalls".

Another good reason to watch the movie is that, at the beginning, both Samuel L Jackson and Dwayne Johnson, both playing high flying cops, both miscalculate a jump from a roof, and crunch to their death.
  • TexAveryWolfTexAveryWolf Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "It keeps getting funnier and funnier every single time I see it"...

And btw, anyone read of the rumours of a sequel?
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always loved this film. Right at the beginning when Barbara and Adam go to pick up something from their shop and the Barber,an old guy is sitting outside his barbershop talking away,'..Goddamn hair right down to his shoulders....so I says cut it off...' That old guy rambling always makes me laugh and 'Draw a door?'
    In the credits at the end, it lists the dead football players who keep calling Juno their Coach, as Dumb football player one, Dumb football player two and Very dumb football player three.