Japan overtakes the US to become world's largest music market

HelloRainHelloRain Posts: 1,421
Forum Member
✭✭✭
According to this article

http://mb.com.ph/node/359165/japan-u#.UN2M86yrTKc
Japan is now the biggest music market in the world in terms of value of singles, CDs and DVDs sold.

The Recording Industry Association of Japan (RIAJ) issued its yearbook "Statistics Trends: The Recording Industry in Japan 2012," which showed that Japan has overtaken the United States in music sales in 2010.

On the other hand, the K-pop boom in South Korea fueled a growth of 6.4 percent in the number of units sold.

According to RIAJ's global sales of recorded music by country in 2010, Japan is No. 1, earning $4.09 billion from sales of music singles, CDs and DVDs. The US is second, earning $3.63 billion from music sales in 2010.

In terms of the number of units sold, US is No. 1, selling 236.4 million units including 225.8 million CDs compared to Japan, which sold 176.5 million units including 114.5 million CDs and 44.5 million singles.

Overall, Japan had a 25.4 percent global share of sales of recorded music in 2010 while the US had 22.5. In 2009, the US was on top with a 24.5 percent market share while Japan had 22.8 percent.

Annual growth in the number of units sold fell, with Japan experiencing a 7.9 percent decline from 2009 and the US listing a decline of 22.3 percent.

South Korea, the home of K-pop, experienced growth in sales. It earned $116.9 million in 2010, compared to $93.3 million in 2009.

It sold 9.5 million units in 2010 from 9.01 million in 2009. Overall, it ranked as the 21st largest music market in the world.

The Philippines ranked 41st in the 50 countries tallied in the report, selling 2.4 million CDs and DVDs in 2010, a 20.6 percent decline from 2009. It earned $15.6 million, or P706.2 million based on the exchange rate used by RIAJ.

On average, a Filipino spent $0.2 to purchase music based on the total population of 99.9 million used in the report.

The albums that were certified Million (for selling one million copies) in Japan in 2011 were: Lady Gaga's "The Fame Monster," EXILE's "Negainotou," AKB48's "Kokoniitakoto," and Arashi's "Beautiful World."

Overall, the 50 countries raked in $16.14 billion in music sales in 2010.

The Top 10 most downloaded digital single tracks for mobile phones in Japan in 2011

1. "MARU MARU MORI MORI! KAORU TO TOMOKI" by TAMANI MUKKU

2. "Sukidayo ~Hyakkai no koukai" by Sonar Pocket

3. "flying get" by AKB48

4. "Everyday, katyusha" by AKB48

5. "100mankai No I love you" by Rake

6. "MISTER" by Korean girl group KARA

7. "Gee" by Korean group Girls Generation

8. "Mata Ashita" by JUJU

9. "HEAVY ROTATION" by AKB48

10. "MR. TAXI" by Girls Generation

Top 10 music markets in the world in 2010

1. Japan

2. U.S.A.

3. Germany

4. U.K.

5. France

6. Australia

7. Canada

8. Italy

9. Netherlands

10. Brazil

Comments

• LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    It's weird how Japan are number one but japanese artists don't find (much?) success in the US and Europe and probably more places too.
  • HelloRainHelloRain Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's weird how Japan are number one but japanese artists don't find (much?) success in the US and Europe and probably more places too.

I think it's because the Japanese market is so lucrative, acts don't feel the need to branch out and try and become successful in other countries, like the Korean artists tend to do. For example, Ayumi Hamasaki has sold 50 million records in Japan since her debut in 1998, she's had something like 30-something number one singles and nearly twenty number one albums. She was the only non-North American singer to appear in the top ten of Forbes richest female singers list in 2010

http://www.mademan.com/mm/10-richest-female-singers-2010.html
    Ayumi Hamasaki This Japanese singer, songwriter and former actress has a net worth of $400 million. Also called AYU by her fans, Ayumi has sold over 50 million records since her debut in 1998 with her single "Poker Face" ranking her among the best-selling singers in Japan. Ayumi is the first female singer to have sold eight albums since her debut to the top of Oricon.

The Japanese also tend to overwhelmingly prefer their own artists over non-Japanese ones. In the top 50 best selling acts of all time in Japan, there are no Westerners (I think Mariah Carey was actually the only one there at one time, but she's since fallen to 51 or 52 I think :p )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists_in_Japan
  • ScouseBirdScouseBird Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you imagine how big the market would be if japanese music took off in the western countries?! I personally cant see it happening but it would be nice for the odd song to break through
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ScouseBird wrote: »
    Can you imagine how big the market would be if japanese music took off in the western countries?! I personally cant see it happening but it would be nice for the odd song to break through

A Japanese song actually went to number one in the US back in 1963,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C35DrtPlUbc

But you're right, it would be nice to see something else break through, considering it's been 50 years since a Japanese song last broke through to the mainstream in the West.

I remember Hikaru Utada's song Simple and Clean became moderately well known about ten years ago when it was used as the theme from Kingdom Hearts, but when she released an English language album in the US a few years later, it flopped.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I expect it's because there is less piracy in Japan than the US.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is going to good news for Avril & Gaga, currently the only Western females who can carry out huge sales in Japan.
  • chrisqcchrisqc Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its only cause music is much more expensive in japan from that same article it clearly mentions

In terms of the number of units sold, US is No. 1, selling 236.4million units including 225.8 million CDs compared to Japan, which sold 176.5 million units including 114.5 million CDs and 44.5 million singles
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm actually very surprised by that.

I'm also surprised that Germany is the 3rd largest market above the UK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisqc wrote: »
    Its only cause music is much more expensive in japan from that same article it clearly mentions

In terms of the number of units sold, US is No. 1, selling 236.4million units including 225.8 million CDs compared to Japan, which sold 176.5 million units including 114.5 million CDs and 44.5 million singles

Yes, but overall value is what is used to determine the size of music markets. More units are sold in the US, because its population is two and half times Japan's.
  • beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    It helps that Japan is very good at marketing to niches- there's a reason AKB48 have three songs in that top ten, and it's because they're a brilliantly constructed brand with songs, TV shows, DVDs etc.

If you think what Cowell's done with One Direction is a bit cynical, then you need to look at the churn of acts like AKB48 to the nerdier end of Japan's populace.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AKB48... I seem to recall watching them on some TV show from Japan, they were on there next to Noel Gallagher:D:D:D

It was the most bizarre sight I have ever seen in my entire life. Noel seemed to cause a shitstorm later aswell after he blogged about them.
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    beemoh wrote: »
    It helps that Japan is very good at marketing to niches- there's a reason AKB48 have three songs in that top ten, and it's because they're a brilliantly constructed brand with songs, TV shows, DVDs etc.

If you think what Cowell's done with One Direction is a bit cynical, then you need to look at the churn of acts like AKB48 to the nerdier end of Japan's populace.

I was wiki surfing and ended up on AKB48's page and when I read it and how many members there were and they were divided into different mini groups I was just like :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beemoh wrote: »

The marketing in Japan is on another level. The latest hit song is always used in an advert for something, whether it's noodles, ice cream or Panasonic camera, usually featuring the singer or band in question. The annual AKB48 election in which the fans vote for the most popular member is one of the biggest media events of year in Japan, with news updates and millions watching to see who's crowned the leader. It apparently manage to knock Fukushima off from the headlines at the height of the nuclear crisis back in 2011 :eek:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jun/08/japan-election-pop-group-akb48
    Images of Oshima, who will lead the group for the next year, were plastered over the following day's newspapers and generated hours of analysis on daytime TV shows. Even the normally staid broadsheets recognised that her election, with 108,000 votes – putting her well ahead of her closest rival – was a significant moment in J-pop history.

Likening herself to a flower bud about to come into full bloom, she told her fans: "You have given me water and light. But flowers wither eventually. Please be my sunshine forever."

Oshima and 15 other performers earned enough votes among the 1.4 million cast to guarantee them a place in the lineup for the group's 27th single, to be released in August. The group's 90 members appear in rotation depending on their popularity with the public.

The marketing brilliance did not end there: the public could only secure votes by buying a copy of the group's latest single, a Japanese and English track about the joys of summer. Each copy came with a code number enabling consumers to cast their votes online.

With the most devout snapping up multiple CDs to boost the prospects of their favourite singer, the single sold a record 1.62m copies in its first week. One fan reportedly spent US$6,700 to secure 2,700 votes in online auctions.

They've managed to sell 21 million records in the past four years, which puts them as the biggest selling girl group in the world.
  • FanFromHollandFanFromHolland Posts: 5,987
    Forum Member
    But the USA is still the biggest market for non-japanese artists right?
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That list doesnt even list China? I thought they were always the biggest. You make it big there, you have nearly 2 billion people to buy your record.

If you want to know what Japaneses music is big, go back about 20 years and thats about spot on. Marty Friedmen, Paul Gilbert, and many other 80s rockers still have huge success over there. Hell, Paul Gilbert was on an hour long show in prime time on Japanese TV. He was just shredding, and the audience loved it and I think it did REALLY well in the ratings. I thought my TV had picked up something from the past...
  • supertalksupertalk Posts: 948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    That list doesnt even list China? I thought they were always the biggest. You make it big there, you have nearly 2 billion people to buy your record.

If you want to know what Japaneses music is big, go back about 20 years and thats about spot on. Marty Friedmen, Paul Gilbert, and many other 80s rockers still have huge success over there. Hell, Paul Gilbert was on an hour long show in prime time on Japanese TV. He was just shredding, and the audience loved it and I think it did REALLY well in the ratings. I thought my TV had picked up something from the past...

China has 1.3 b people, not 2. Plus the whole country isn't going to buy the same record are they?
  • Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congratulations to Japaaan!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tal'shiar wrote: »

80s music and pop stars from the UK/US are still popular in Japan for the nostalgia value they offer for the older generations, but when it comes to sales, the charts are still dominated by Japanese acts. The top 50 best selling acts of all time in Japan are all home grown acts - since the 90s, Western music has gradually lost a lot of its popularity. In recent years, only Lady Gaga and Avril Lavigne have gained real mainstream recognition along with a few others; in most respects, Japan's music market is much more insular now than it was in the 70s and 80s. It's a phenomenon that some call 'Galapogas Syndrome' - Japan withdrawing into itself and cutting itself off from the world, but I think that might be a bit too dramatic. K-pop has gained a foothold in Japan, but the media has overblown the phenomeon - Girls Generation and Kara still sell less than domestic acts.