2014 the year of the 6" smart phones

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So looks like 6" seems to be Androids devices new standard for flagship. At what size will they say it's too big to be a phone? If it goes to 7" it will match the size of Ipad mini.

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    So looks like 6" seems to be Androids devices new standard for flagship. At what size will they say it's too big to be a phone? If it goes to 7" it will match the size of Ipad mini.

'they' will never say it's too big so long as someone wants to buy it.

this is how most businesses work. (with the exception of the obvious)

4 or 5 years ago 5" would have seemed un thinkable. but samsung tried something with the note and it sold well. making calls is a tiny percentage of what many people use their phones for these days, so it makes sense that they would add importance to the screen size that serves the other functions.

you need to understand that the main driver for larger phones is the asian markets. those squiggly characters are much easier to enter on a larger screen.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    'they' will never say it's too big so long as someone wants to buy it.

this is how most businesses work. (with the exception of the obvious)

4 or 5 years ago 5" would have seemed un thinkable. but samsung tried something with the note and it sold well. making calls is a tiny percentage of what many people use their phones for these days, so it makes sense that they would add importance to the screen size that serves the other functions.

you need to understand that the main driver for larger phones is the asian markets. those squiggly characters are much easier to enter on a larger screen.

How large do you think phones will go then?
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still think 5.5" plus is a side market, they are phablets not phones at that point. The Note 3, Xperia Z Ultra, G Pro etc are all what I would call phablets, they aren't necessarily the flagships as they aren't everyone's cup of tea.

4.7" - 5.0" seems to be the new flagship size. The Galaxy S4, Nexus 5, G2, Xperia Z1 etc all fall into that bracket.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How large do you think phones will go then?

I already think we have gone past the point of phone size and really firmly in Phablet size now.

Personally I think the sweet spot is 4.5-5inch maybe 5.2 inch at a push as LG G2 isn't to large but nothing bigger than that. Most of the larger devices you can't even fit properly in one hand.

I can see Apple coming out with a 4.5 inch display for the iPhone 6 as that wouldn't push it to far. It would enter the sweet spot in my opinion. It really is only the screen size that puts me majorly of an iPhone now.
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think 6" would be pushing it for me (maybe if it had hardly any bezel around it).

You would not be able to use it one handed (I can use my S3 one handed, but not anything bigger) although who uses their phones one handed when you have a free hand?

I think as long as it will fit in my pocket I will be ok with that.

Have ruled out the Note 3 even though I could have got a very good deal on it as it would not fit into most of my jean pockets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    I still think 5.5" plus is a side market, they are phablets not phones at that point. The Note 3, Xperia Z Ultra, G Pro etc are all what I would call phablets, they aren't necessarily the flagships as they aren't everyone's cup of tea.

4.7" - 5.0" seems to be the new flagship size. The Galaxy S4, Nexus 5, G2, Xperia Z1 etc all fall into that bracket.

I think the S5 and New Sony phones will start at 6",
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't. These companies know that some people are put off by displays that are "too big". That's why all the flagships have variants which have larger screens to test the waters.

Not everyone is going to want such a huge device, if the S5 was a 6" device, which I doubt, I'm pretty sure it would be less popular than the S4.

Even 5" is pushing it for a mobile device in my view. I think 4.3" to around 4.9" is the Goldilocks range.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the S5 will be bigger than 5", but I think 5.5" will be the maximum size it's going to be and that will suit me (as long as the bezel is very small).
  • hotmat3khotmat3k Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything bigger than 4" is pointless IMHO. As long as the market describes the devices as a phone, then I don't see any need why anyone needs anything bigger. Well, unless they want to give themselves some sort of premature-arthritis.
  • justjaxjustjax Posts: 937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    6" is way too big. I would be interested in a bigger iPhone if it happened, but nothing bigger than about 4.5 max, I personally find the likes of the Galaxy 3/4 too big. Interestingly, two friends went back to iPhones from having a SG3 and Nokia Windows on (not sure the model) and I asked about missing the large screen and both didn't seem that bothered and said they found the phones too big.
  • gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And in those markets owning a tablet and a phone isn't financially possible for some people so owning a big phone is the best of both worlds and the phone could be the only source of the Internet.

I think if I had a Galaxy note 3 then I would consider selling my ipad mini because I don't think I would use it as much .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    justjax wrote: »
    6" is way too big. I would be interested in a bigger iPhone if it happened, but nothing bigger than about 4.5 max, I personally find the likes of the Galaxy 3/4 too big. Interestingly, two friends went back to iPhones from having a SG3 and Nokia Windows on (not sure the model) and I asked about missing the large screen and both didn't seem that bothered and said they found the phones too big.

Strange, as even when I use my wife's Galaxy S2 from my S3 I find the screen too small even though there is not that much difference (is it 4.3" down from 4.8" or something like that)?
  • hotmat3khotmat3k Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange, as even when I use my wife's Galaxy S2 from my S3 I find the screen too small even though there is not that much difference (is it 4.3" down from 4.8" or something like that)?
    It isn't weird. Anything 4.0" is just too wide for most to handle in one hand. That's the biggest issue with all these devices (not forgetting the phablets that cannot go into trouser pockets.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a 5" Samsung ATIV-S. With the phone to my ear, the microphone is directly next to my mouth. I can hold it in one hand, and my thumb can cover most of the screen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a 4.6 Sony phone and I was self conscious of just how large it was. For me it does defeat the purpose of a mobile device.

The large phones went out of fashion in the 80's.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    I had a 4.6 Sony phone and I was self conscious of just how large it was. For me it does defeat the purpose of a mobile device.

The large phones went out of fashion in the 80's.
    in respect of fashion: i really could not care less. i will buy the phone i think suits my needs. if someone looks at that and thinks it's uncool i already think they're a **** and as such their opinion doesn't bother me.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything over 5.5 inch would not count as a phone to me.
    I would say.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in respect of fashion: i really could not care less. i will buy the phone i think suits my needs. if someone looks at that and thinks it's uncool i already think they're a **** and as such their opinion doesn't bother me.

Some phones are that big you can see what texts people are writing.

But yes I went from a 3.5" Iphone to the 4" and found it quite an increase but over 4" for me is a bit big. 6" phones don't look suitable to fit in a pocket.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything over 5.5 inch would not count as a phone to me.
    I would say.

It could be a phone 10" screen though.

"Mobile" as in portable is a better term. 6" phones are not very mobile and would require a bag to carry them in.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

I like large screen phones. I dont see them as too big.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, anything larger than a Nexus 4 is too big as a phone. I carry my iPad Mini around with me the vast majority of the time, so a larger phone is unnecessary for my needs.

That said, I understand that a considerable percentage of Note devices are being bought by women, and I think that might be because the "pocketable" requirement is less of an issue if you carry a handbag. I certainly know a few girls who have Note 2 or 3 and they're using them more as mini-tablets than phones!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, anything larger than a Nexus 4 is too big as a phone. I carry my iPad Mini around with me the vast majority of the time, so a larger phone is unnecessary for my needs.

That said, I understand that a considerable percentage of Note devices are being bought by women, and I think that might be because the "pocketable" requirement is less of an issue if you carry a handbag. I certainly know a few girls who have Note 2 or 3 and they're using them more as mini-tablets than phones!

I know - although the Note is too big for me as it won't fit in my pocket my wife is even looking at the Samsung Mega with the 6.3" screen as she does a lot of spreadsheets of her phone and the size does not matter as it will be in her handbag.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some phones are that big you can see what texts people are writing.

But yes I went from a 3.5" Iphone to the 4" and found it quite an increase but over 4" for me is a bit big. 6" phones don't look suitable to fit in a pocket.

I'm sure you'll change your mind when the next iPhone is released with a larger screen .... a bit like iOS 7 being dreadful ;)
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    BT@home wrote: »
    I'm sure you'll change your mind when the next iPhone is released with a larger screen .... a bit like iOS 7 being dreadful ;)

I'm sure he had a bitch about iOS6 as well and the iphone 5 when it was released...
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know - although the Note is too big for me as it won't fit in my pocket my wife is even looking at the Samsung Mega with the 6.3" screen as she does a lot of spreadsheets of her phone and the size does not matter as it will be in her handbag.

Yeah two just made my day you probably right but still funny as hell to me.