What happened with Brian Friedman ?

PJ RiverPJ River Posts: 1,050
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was watching the worst auditions of 2007 and I saw Brian Friedman as a judge. Then, in the video, Simon, sharon and Dannii were complaining about the atmosphere in the panel. I thought they were joking, but apparently not. Simon had to bring back Louis and remove Brian from the panel.

How was he as a judge ?

Comments

• Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After he left the panel he became the 'Creative Director' from then i.e. managing the staging of all the contestants, he was the one that gave Alexandra Burke the same choreography Britney did on one of her tours for Toxic. He now works on the US version of the show in the same role.
  • PJ RiverPJ River Posts: 1,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah but there seemed to be a problem with him as a judge. I didn't see the 2007 series so I am trying to understand what it was.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PJ River wrote: »
    Yeah but there seemed to be a problem with him as a judge. I didn't see the 2007 series so I am trying to understand what it was.

I remember the episode. He was on the panel but Simon said 'it didn't feel right' so he got rid of Brian and brought back Louis. I think Simon just missed Louis and felt he made a mistake for firing him so Brian had to leave the panel for Louis to come back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah but for Dannii and Sharon to say that it was uncomfortable, he must have been an a**, surely. Was he a bad judge or something ?
  • Dreammaster695Dreammaster695 Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that year had to be the worse series ever, 0 stars just a crazy welsh verison of wagner with white hair
  • xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member
    I honestly don't understand why Louis was replaced in the first place, especially with Brian. Publicity stunt IMO.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was probably just a publicity stunt.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definite publicity stunt. Maybe Louis wasn't available for those first auditions so they decided to create an 'axing' story...
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if it isn't publicity stunt, it's hard to imagine him staying after being kicked off that chair.
  • boardboyboardboy Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    Yeah and it was amazing how Louis had the dates free, suddenly. Louis and Simon go back a very long time, planned publicity stunt if you ask me
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does make sense because it felt weird to see Sharon, Dannii and Simon saying "it doesn't feel right", "it's uncomfortable".
  • Diceroll_81Diceroll_81 Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Brian would've been ok as a judge (if he hadn't have left the panel) but not as a mentor. It would have been daft to have a choreographer mentoring singers IMO. I agree the whole thing felt like a publicity stunt looking back.
  • noonan15noonan15 Posts: 1,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon fired Louis and hired Dannii and Brian, but after the first city of auditions, it felt weird, the panel had no chemistry, Simon was all over Dannii like a rash, Sharon didn't have Louis to bounce off and Brian felt uncomfortable, so the decision was made with Simon, the producers and Brian that he would not be on the panel but instead work on the show as creative director, he wasn't sacked or did he quit, it was a mutual decision for him to take up another role. Louis was brought back and then the show carried on from there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok that's clear.
  • Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole exit and return of Louis was a clear cut publicity stunt from the get go but Friedman is terrible as both a judge and a "creative director" and I wish he'd be axed from the X-Factor entirely. It's better he's not on our version anymore but I don't know what they see in him to have him on the US version?
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,961
    Forum Member
    Wasn't he on our show last series?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole exit and return of Louis was a clear cut publicity stunt from the get go but Friedman is terrible as both a judge and a "creative director" and I wish he'd be axed from the X-Factor entirely. It's better he's not on our version anymore but I don't know what they see in him to have him on the US version?

It's because he's one of the biggest choreographers in the world.
  • Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PJ River wrote: »
    It's because he's one of the biggest choreographers in the world.

He did some good work with Britney Spears back in the day but his work on the X-Factor has been consistently terrible so I really don't think he deserves to work for it in any form.
  • boardboyboardboy Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    Wasn't he on our show last series?

Yes, hes been on both US series, he didnt do 2011 in the UK, but did the first few 2012 live shows in the UK before he went to the states.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair I prefer Fatimah Robinson and Trish Sie to Brian Friedman.
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    He did some good work with Britney Spears back in the day but his work on the X-Factor has been consistently terrible so I really don't think he deserves to work for it in any form.

Actually, he gave the best he could. Notice last year to 2008. The actual performances were naff (not including the acts themselves). Everything around them fell flat.