Nokia 800 or 820?

Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Buying a new phone, and stuck between these two. Basically comes down to the 800 being on a cheaper contract, but the 820 newer with Windows 8 (?) Not sure how overly important that is, guess I'm a bit concerned they'll stop supporting the 800 since it's older

Just wondering if anyone has previous experience with either, or about how much of an issue not having windows 8 would be. Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    820 is the best to go for if your getting tied into a long contract and it can be had quite cheaply per month if your willing to pay a little for the phone upfront. Win 8 Mobile is really good, live tiles are a lovely to use etc but apps or the lack of them is the biggest let down. Although I'd imagine this will get better as time goes on but the app development bias will stay Apple & Andriod for some time.
    The camera on the 820 (id imagine same on the 800?) isn't as good as the one on the iPhone 5/Galaxy S3. Other than that its a bloody great phone. I can't really compare the 800 to it as I've only ever spent any amount of time with the 820.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Don't go for the 800 now as it's on an unsupported Windows Phone 7 OS and won't be getting any new updated and many of the newer apps will only work on the Windows 8 Phone apps.
  • DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Don't go for the 800 now as it's on an unsupported Windows Phone 7 OS and won't be getting any new updated and many of the newer apps will only work on the Windows 8 Phone apps.

You are wrong about the Windows Phone 7 OS been unsupported. Windows 7.8 OS will be released in the first Q1 2013 for Windows 7 phones and it will have many features that have been released on Windows 8 Phone.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    You are wrong about the Windows Phone 7 OS been unsupported. Windows 7.8 OS will be released in the first Q1 2013 for Windows 7 phones and it will have many features that have been released on Windows 8 Phone.

This is like advising someone to buy a symbian phone 6 months ago...
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    the 820 by a mile.
    Forum Member

It's mainly the look though...main thing is that apps/games will only work best if they have been developed for Windows Phone 8 so developers are not going to want to develop two versions of each app so will concentrate on Windows Phone 8 so Windows Phone 7 is dead...would make a great phone still but if you are wanting news apps made for it then it's a no go.
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not what ive been reading, over the last month whilst looking for a new phone.
    The update from 7.5 - 7.8 is a minor one.

The new features in the future will be Win 8 only.

http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions/suggestions/3061759-more-windows-phone-7-8-features-

The 7.5 is missing out on some basic functions you would expect from a phone today.
    I would have happily bought a windows phone but couldnt afford a Win 8 one :(

The new Nokia 620 is going to be released next year, prices seem to be about £160
    But with no confirmation on a release date.
    http://www.nokia.com/global/products/phone/lumia620/
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    1saintly wrote: »
    The 7.5 is missing out on some basic functions you would expect from a phone today.
    Such as? I have my eye on both of these phones for when my old Symbian packs up (Apple and Android need not apply).
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Such as? I have my eye on both of these phones for when my old Symbian packs up (Apple and Android need not apply).

Some of these will be or have been sorted, in present or future updates, but still im holding out for a few yrs till i go buy windows phone.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Here-are-101-reasons-not-to-buy-Windows-Phone-7.5_id30255

As i have said i did want one and will still buy one in the future., so not dissing windows, just needs a bit of tweaking yet.

Miss out 7.8 phones and get a win8 one.
  • sonicshadowsonicshadow Posts: 8,385
    Forum Member
    The Lumia 800 is an excellent phone, now going for between £130 - £150. Depends how bothered you are about apps.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    This is like advising someone to buy a symbian phone 6 months ago...

Not really; I'd still advise people to go for an 808 if they want a decent camera, as the units in every other phone on the market are varying degrees of useless. And surprisingly, there isn't anything available on contract at the moment than can even equal the >2 year old Nokia N8 for stills (that includes the 920). No reason why my 808 won't keep working for a good few years, it does what I want, and does it better than any other phone on the market .... (and I do have an iPhone 4S here to compare it to)

In general though, its better to go for the 820 over the 800 - arguably a better all round device.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clonmult, I think you'll be a lone voice ... unless you update your phone with the latest must have OS updates every 6 months then your not with the crowd. Didn't you realise that your phone becomes obsolete if it doesn't get the latest version of OS (see Lumia 800). And similarly if you can't get the latest and greatest 5 minute wonder of a game that your mates have got they will unlike you on Facebook.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT@home wrote: »
    Clonmult, I think you'll be a lone voice ... unless you update your phone with the latest must have OS updates every 6 months then your not with the crowd. Didn't you realise that your phone becomes obsolete if it doesn't get the latest version of OS (see Lumia 800). And similarly if you can't get the latest and greatest 5 minute wonder of a game that your mates have got they will unlike you on Facebook.

Yet somehow, despite being obsolete, these devices continue to work ... generally without any issues.

Of course you could state that due to a complete lack of market penetration, every single WP device is effectively DOA.
    Forum Member
    BT@home wrote: »

But why buy a Lumia 800 when you know that it won't get any further updates and it won't get any new apps? Seems like a strange choice of phone to go with.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    But why buy a Lumia 800 when you know that it won't get any further updates and it won't get any new apps? Seems like a strange choice of phone to go with.

While I agree that the 800 would be a strange one to choose, you could do without claiming it "won't get any further updates and won't get new apps", as it will get updates (although likely just bug fixes/patches), and new apps will be available. So stop spreading ridiculous fud.
    Forum Member
    clonmult wrote: »
    While I agree that the 800 would be a strange one to choose, you could do without claiming it "won't get any further updates and won't get new apps", as it will get updates (although likely just bug fixes/patches), and new apps will be available. So stop spreading ridiculous fud.

Bug fixes/patches are not exactly updates and even things like that are unlikely now.

And why do you think developers will still release new apps?
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    The 800 is the obvious choice (of Lumia) for someone wanting a cheapish SIM-free handset as a replacement that is not too big if it does all they want it do.. The 820 is significantly larger.
  • DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1saintly wrote: »
    Not what ive been reading, over the last month whilst looking for a new phone.
    The update from 7.5 - 7.8 is a minor one.

The new features in the future will be Win 8 only.

http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions/suggestions/3061759-more-windows-phone-7-8-features-

I would have happily bought a windows phone but couldnt afford a Win 8 one :(

The new Nokia 620 is going to be released next year, prices seem to be about £160
    But with no confirmation on a release date.
    http://www.nokia.com/global/products/phone/lumia620/

What basic functions does the Lumia 800 miss out on. Because I can do anything on my Lumia 800 that I could do when I had my iphone.