Zayn Malik receives death threats for Free Palestine tweet

Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2708410/One-Direction-star-Zayn-Malik-bombarded-death-threats-outraged-Israelis-posting-FreePalestine-message-Twitter.html

A viewpoint that's shared the majority of fair thinking people in the world, but pretty unwise to make that comment when your in a boyband with a large fan base in Isreal. I can't image the bands management will pleased with him for making this comment publicly, bubblegum pop music and politics don't mix very well. Another clear sign the end is nigh for 1D.

I do have a new found respect for him though. We often dismiss younger people for being ignorant, but he's obviously aware of what's happening in the world and has an opinion on it.

Comments

• MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2708410/One-Direction-star-Zayn-Malik-bombarded-death-threats-outraged-Israelis-posting-FreePalestine-message-Twitter.html

A viewpoint that's shared the majority of fair thinking people in the world, but pretty unwise to make that comment when your in a boyband with a large fan base in Isreal. I can't image the bands management will pleased with him for making this comment publicly, bubblegum pop music and politics don't mix very well. Another clear sign the end is nigh for 1D.

I do have a new found respect for him though. We often dismiss younger people for being ignorant, but he's obviously aware of what's happening in the world and has an opinion on it.

I think your being melodramatic when you say the end is nigh for 1D. They are on a record breaking stadium tour at the moment. Hardly of the sign of the end being nigh. With regards to his tweet, he's entitled to have an opinion on it. Although, like you say, you have to be a bit careful with the reaction. You've got a mixture of oversensitive teenagers worldwide, who already think it's fine to send death threats if any of them get a girlfriend and the politics of Israel.

I read one tweet from an Israeli fan which said that by saying what he said he wants her to die. I mean WTF? How can you deduce that from his tweet.

We in the west are supposed to be examples of free speech, but lately nobody can say anything without it being "wrong" or contraversial.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's hardly that significant considering a) there's loads of wild bickering on Twitter about Israel/Palestine b) Directioners seem to be willing to fly off the handle and issue death threats after every single tweet ever. Other than that, I suppose his sentiment and would like to think that he's well informed on the issue.

In reality, the most significant thing about this story is that he looks really hot in the picture that most of the media sources (not the one in the OP though) are using.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    It's hardly that significant considering a) there's loads of wild bickering on Twitter about Israel/Palestine b) Directioners seem to be willing to fly off the handle and issue death threats after every single tweet ever. Other than that, I suppose his sentiment and would like to think that he's well informed on the issue.

In reality, the most significant thing about this story is that he looks really hot in the picture that most of the media sources (not the one in the OP though) are using.

You're so right about that! He's so gorgeous. One of the best looking humans beings alive.
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    FMKK wrote: »

Well exactly. Directioneers + Israel is guaranteed to create death threats by someone.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    I think your being melodramatic when you say the end is nigh for 1D. They are on a record breaking stadium tour at the moment. Hardly of the sign of the end being nigh. With regards to his tweet, he's entitled to have an opinion on it. Although, like you say, you have to be a bit careful with the reaction. You've got a mixture of oversensitive teenagers worldwide, who already think it's fine to send death threats if any of them get a girlfriend and the politics of Israel.

I read one tweet from an Israeli fan which said that by saying what he said he wants her to die. I mean WTF? How can you deduce that from his tweet.

We in the west are supposed to be examples of free speech, but lately nobody can say anything without it being "wrong" or contraversial.

I don't think it's melodramatic. Boybands like 1D had a shelf life, they've have four years at the top now, the boys look knackered, Harry barely spends any time with the others, their fans are getting older and there will soon be new teen idols snapping at their heels.

It's just logical to say that they won't be around much longer..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're so right about that! He's so gorgeous. One of the best looking humans beings alive.

Here's the picture I was referring to btw. Wow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's melodramatic. Boybands like 1D had a shelf life, they've have four years at the top now, the boys look knackered, Harry barely spends any time with the others, their fans are getting older and there will soon be new teen idols snapping at their heels.

It's just logical to say that they won't be around much longer..

Not sure how anyone can really say that. But he spends enough time with them on the road surely that he doesn't need to be in their company 24/7. Plus, plenty of acts have continued professional relationships even if they don't get on that well because the money talks. Maybe they will jack it in or it will come to an end, I'm not bothered cause I'm not a fan, but I hardly thing this tweet is much of a factor.
  • Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    Personally, I think that it is very unwise for a celebrity to pick a side in such wars (is there
    anybody who believes that one is better then the other?).

Just recently saw a British actress that I like (won't name her, but she is in an upcoming drama) yelling the same thing on her twitter.

And another actress using it as a soapbox for the war in Ukraine (even using the downing of MH17 as propaganda for her beliefs).

People should stop bringing these wars to Western society by the way of social media.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of music acts which supported the free Tibet movement in the nineties aren't allowed to play in China now.
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..but not for his rubbish music?
    Criminal
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He should practice being a little more squeaky clean himself before issuing profound homilies.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I dont see why on earth he should recieve death threats for stating his opinion :confused: But why choose 1 side over the other, there have been attacks and loss of life on both side. Still if he had said "Free Gaza from Hamas" he'd get in trouble for that too :( In a civilised society, people should be allowed freedom of speech without worrying iit will upset/offend anyone. Even if it does offend, well, they can be offended :D
  • AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    Microkorg wrote: »
    ..but not for his rubbish music?
    Criminal

:D Quite.

Perhaps his rabid teen army will gather round and form a protective circle. I doubt any assassin trying to off him will dare mess with those deluded mentalists.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    his demographic probably thinks a free palestine comes in a packet of Frosties
  • *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I dont see why on earth he should recieve death threats for stating his opinion :confused: But why choose 1 side over the other, there have been attacks and loss of life on both side. Still if he had said "Free Gaza from Hamas" he'd get in trouble for that too :( In a civilised society, people should be allowed freedom of speech without worrying iit will upset/offend anyone. Even if it does offend, well, they can be offended :D

Zayn's father is a British Pakistini - so even if he's not a practising Muslim he does have some Muslim heritage - a lot of Muslims even those that aren't practising feel a lot of symphathy towards the Palestinians' plight - the majority of whom are Muslim although they have a sizeable Christian population too. Just as many Jewish people would feel symphathy towards the Israeli side. There's quite a lot of people in the public eye supporting the Palestinians - the English Cricketer Moeen Ali wore 'Save Gaza', 'Free Palestine' wristbands in a test match against India recently and was ticked off for it.

Not to want to get too political on the show biz forum but you don't even have to be Muslim to have sympthay for the Palestinians - they've suffered far more casualties than the Israelis. I was surprised that Joey Barton of all people on twitter was calling for the Israeli bombardment of Gaza to stop. Selena Gomez - also called for peace there on twitter. Both of them have got flak over it. And yes I know the Israelis have suffered too but I don't think it justifies what they're doing in Gaza so personally I welcome anyone speaking out against what is happening in Gaza - especially if they happen to be in the public eye - IMO there are war crimes being committed there!
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    *Topaz* wrote: »
    Zayn's father is a British Pakistini - so even if he's not a practising Muslim he does have some Muslim heritage - a lot of Muslims even those that aren't practising feel a lot of symphathy towards the Palestinians' plight - the majority of whom are Muslim although they have a sizeable Christian population too. Just as many Jewish people would feel symphathy towards the Israeli side. There's quite a lot of people in the public eye supporting the Palestinians - the English Cricketer Moeen Ali wore 'Save Gaza', 'Free Palestine' wristbands in a test match against India recently and was ticked off for it.

Not to want to get too political on the show biz forum but you don't even have to be Muslim to have sympthay for the Palestinians - they've suffered far more casualties than the Israelis. I was surprised that Joey Barton of all people on twitter was calling for the Israeli bombardment of Gaza to stop. Selena Gomez - also called for peace there on twitter. Both of them have got flak over it. And yes I know the Israelis have suffered too but I don't think it justifies what they're doing in Gaza so personally I welcome anyone speaking out against what is happening in Gaza - especially if they happen to be in the public eye - IMO there are war crimes being committed there!

Thank you for your post, I know what you mean :)
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Palestine needs more bombs dropped on it, until its people stop attack Israel and supporting Hamas. Israel tried to play nice and look what it got them, a huge increase in suicide bombings. Even Eygpt, one of the biggest Islamic nations in the world, even they have given up supporting Palestine. What people seem to forget is most of the time this is stoked up by Hamas. Its political rallying cry is to end the Jews. How is Israel meant to "deal" with a nation that wont stop trying to bomb it and its people want an end to Israel.

Notice most of the rockets are manufactured in Iran? yep, again, Palestine is just a puppet. Until they stop that and stop with the aggressive attitude to Israel then this will continue.

If Ireland started firing rockets into the UK and running its political party on the idea of destroying the UK, I doubt you would have the same level of sympathy for Ireland as you do Palestine. Besides, we all know who the real issue is with, and its been said since about the early 70s. Saudi Arabia. They keep this shit up with its puppet states and wonders why the world is getting tired of its bullshit. Even China is starting to notice issues with its Muslim population, one which they have had peaceful living for about 2000 years for the most part, yet the radicals are their now demanding separate schools and less integration. Thialand also recently has had a lot of problems with the same group of people. Chechnya was pounced upon and has become a Jihadist stronghold thanks to the invasion. Everywhere you go they keep kicking up a stink and acting like its someone elses fault.

Also consider this. Israel spent a lot of its military spending on the attack warning system and the Iron Dome missile defense. You know, protecting its people. What has Hamas done? well they stock pile weapons in schools and get the innocents to pack into the houses to make it a harder choice for Israel. Israel even went as far as flaring the places it was attacking to give people a chance to leave safely. None of that from Palestine at all, they just fire the rockets in with no regard.

(I am not Jewish either, so its not biased on my part. I find the Jewish faith to be just as much of a joke as the rest, so I have no love for them. But in this case, they have a right to defend themselves from constant attacks)
  • DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agree with this 100%
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the problem here is that as a performer, voicing any overt political or religious leanings is always going to be risky since he will have Jewish and muslim fans as well as non-religious and other religious denommer fans too.

Someone is going to be upset, all the time. It's inevitable. Some may apply extremes to what he's tweeted (like automatically assuming its support for Hamas) when it could just be a general statement regarding the situation for the population of Palestine. But it might have upset them that he hasn't seen it from their side as well, when they buy his records and attend his concerts. It's tricky.

He's also very young.
  • Leanne_Blake1Leanne_Blake1 Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

His face is perfect. Bit young for me but no harm in admiring!
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's a symptom of how brainwashed the normal people of Israel are.
    He should practice being a little more squeaky clean himself before issuing profound homilies.

You need to live a monastic life before you can be against the bombing of schools and hospitals?
    Just as many Jewish people would feel symphathy towards the Israeli side.
    Some of the most outspoken people against the actions of Israel are Jewish.
    wilehelmas wrote: »
    I think the problem here is that as a performer, voicing any overt political or religious leanings is always going to be risky since he will have Jewish and muslim fans as well as non-religious and other religious denommer fans too.
    Except plenty of non-muslims think the attacks on Gaza are wrong. Christians, Jews and people of other, or no faith, are usually against the murder of innocent people in their homes or at school. The UN agrees.
  • *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    Palestine needs more bombs dropped on it, until its people stop attack Israel and supporting Hamas.

(I am not Jewish either, so its not biased on my part. I find the Jewish faith to be just as much of a joke as the rest, so I have no love for them. But in this case, they have a right to defend themselves from constant attacks)

Apologies for cutting your post and I did read it all - but you probably won't be surprised to hear that I disagree. I don't think the constant bombardment and humiliation of the Palestinians will solve anything!

I've looked into the conflict from both sides - even researched it from when it started way back in history and I really don't think there's a military solution to the conflict - but I don't think it's appropriate to get into it here because this is a show biz forum. There are plenty of other forums where the conflict can be discussed in great detail - I gather there's a long on going thread in the politics forum. The topic is about was it wise for Zayn Malik to tweet his support for a 'Free Palestine'...........so from your post I'll just deduce that you don't think it was.

Oh and by the way I know that Israel has plenty of support from Christians, other beliefs and secularists too just as the Palestinians do - it's just on this latest particular conflict in Gaza - they might be achieving their military aims but I think they're losing the propaganda war since their is so much public sympathy for the Palestinians as proved by the number of people in the public eye who are expressing sympathy for them which includes people of all religions and beliefs.
    wilehelmas wrote: »

Someone is going to be upset, all the time. It's inevitable. Some may apply extremes to what he's tweeted (like automatically assuming its support for Hamas) when it could just be a general statement regarding the situation for the population of Palestine. But it might have upset them that he hasn't seen it from their side as well, when they buy his records and attend his concerts. It's tricky.

He's also very young.

I agree it's a tricky situation being seen to take 'sides'. As you say he's very young and therefore his fan base is very young too. I suspect most of ID fans in Israel mainly only have their version of events so it could be hard for them take that people feel sympathy for the other side. Some celebs who've expressed sympathy for the Palestinians have made it clear they're not taking sides - they just want there to be peace and an end to the bombing. But I think the knee jerk reaction by many Israelis is to see anyone who criticses them as being against them.

I think some celebs feel they need to say something - especially when they're confronted with lots of horrific/heartbreaking images - it's happened in conflicts in the past too but with the advent of social media there's a lot of terrible images of Palestinian suffering being circulated and tweeted around and some people are bound to be affected by it
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    Some of the most outspoken people against the actions of Israel are Jewish.

Except plenty of non-muslims think the attacks on Gaza are wrong. Christians, Jews and people of other, or no faith, are usually against the murder of innocent people in their homes or at school. The UN agrees.

I agree. I omitted that from my post - I know Jon Stewart and Rob Schneider and others of Jewish heritage have questioned what's happening in Gaza - and someone like Rob Schneider can hardly be classed as a left wing radical. I also know there is plenty of soul searching in Israel itself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I think that it is very unwise for a celebrity to pick a side in such wars (is there
    anybody who believes that one is better then the other?).

Just recently saw a British actress that I like (won't name her, but she is in an upcoming drama) yelling the same thing on her twitter.

And another actress using it as a soapbox for the war in Ukraine (even using the downing of MH17 as propaganda for her beliefs).

People should stop bringing these wars to Western society by the way of social media.

Yes, there's a clear aggressor and a clear victim and a huge humanitarian crisis. It's not hard to understand if you look at the facts.

And I don't see why people should stop bringing these wars "to Western society" when the west is deeply involved in both conflicts.

Massive ignorance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, how dare he smoke a joint AND have an opinion! :o
  • Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    his demographic probably thinks a free palestine comes in a packet of Frosties

:D:D:D:D:D