Hep needed! My son accidentally dropped his netbook, and now the screen is all weird

Hi,
My son acidentally dropped his ACER ASPIRE ONE MODEL NO: ZG5 The screen is now all weird: http://yfrog.com/0rdsc00395sj My question is, would I be able to fit a new screen myself? The local shop here is quoting me £140! I only paid £150 for the netbook brand new! I've googled it, and it seems fairly easy, although I've never done anything like this before.

Any help much appreciated.

thanks,
Liz

Comments

• fraserafrasera Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    thats the good ol shattered screen.
    you might be able to. how easy they make netbook screen replacement i have no idea. screens sold on ebay and such...are cheaper yes. sometimes the manufacturer has a service manual on their website if you dig around. shops quote=risk +labor intensive+time... its reasonable.
  • cmorriscmorris Posts: 6,157
    Forum Member
    If it's under waranty you can get it fixed but if not then check out you tube.
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does you household insurance cover you for accidental damage?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    Sadly no, pc's or tvs are not covered.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Use it connected to a monitor/TV as an All-in One.
    No doubt it is also possible to permanently remove the screen.

Not cost effective to do anything else.
  • peter3hgpeter3hg Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cmorris wrote: »
    If it's under waranty you can get it fixed but if not then check out you tube.

The warranty won't cover accidental damage.
    Forum Member
    Me again! Is there any way this would work if I bought my son a secondhand separate screen. I think my boss used to use her laptop connected to a larger separate lcd screen. Would this be an option for me? And if so what cable connections would I need?

Thanks,
    liz
  • zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Acer will drive screens equipped with 15 pin VGA port - you need to make sure of this when you go to purchase as some screens may be digital only (VGA being analogue). You'll also need a VGA(male) to VGA(male) lead as well.

If you want to save some cash, try ebay - look out for refurbished Dell 17" or 19" 1280x1024 screens, they can be had for 30-50 quid and are of reasonable quality.

Good Luck!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure where you live but often Freecycle has monitors going free.

Almost all cheap screens have the correct VGA d-sub socket.
    In fact a majority of cheap TFT monitors still only have this one connection.
    Forum Member
    I live on the Isle of Lewis, bet most folk don't even know where that is!
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    liz31tt wrote: »
    I live on the Isle of Lewis, bet most folk don't even know where that is!

It's the big island top left of Scotland, north-west of the Isle of Skye :p :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    A brand new screen for this netbook can be bought on eBay (item no.120450555658) for £49.00 with free delivery. They aren't too complicated to fit, either - just fiddly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazingly cheap.

Well worth the risk but maybe safer to ensure that netbook is working fine 1st. Use an LCD TV or monitor.
  • ExaminusExaminus Posts: 22,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you sure he dropped it? There's a hole in the middle of the screen where the cracks come from, almost like it was closed onto a pen.

http://grab.by/iqW
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Examinus wrote: »
    Are you sure he dropped it? There's a hole in the middle of the screen where the cracks come from, almost like it was closed onto a pen.

http://grab.by/iqW

That point of impact may also have been caused by the screen hitting the edge of a hard surface like a table, so it's still plausible that it was dropped.
  • GaryHendersonGaryHenderson Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    when I dropped our HP laptop and did exactly the same thing, we got a replacement from these people

http://www.lcds4less.com/index.shtml

it was the cheapest we could find. they spoke to us to make sure it was the right one and was shipped to us in 2 days - can heartily recommend them. the acer website should have a service manual with fitting instructions (the hp one did).

good luck!

Gary
    Forum Member
    Yes, after further interrogation he tells me it hit his desk on the way to the floor!
    Will have a look at that website Gary and see how much it'd cost.
    Thanks folks, I always get excellent help and advice on here.

Liz :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I checked the site out of curiosity.

Stick with ebay. And the guy has a good reputation too.
    Forum Member
    By way of punishment for being so careless with his netbook, my son is gonna pay for the repairs himself out of any money he gets for xmas (he's 10!)
    Thanks bargepower, I've saved that shop in my fave sellers on ebay, and will get the screen there..... once the wee guy has enough money!

Liz :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edit - oops deleted