France Telecom Seeking to Sell off part of EE

legends wear 7legends wear 7 Posts: 2,102
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/telecommunications/france-telecom-prepares-sale-of-ee

France Telecom has brought in banks to advise on a part flotation or sale of its EE mobile operator brand, reports the Financial Times.

France Telecom jointly owns EE with Deutsche Telekom following a merger of the UK Orange and T-Mobile brands in 2010. The FT says France Telecom has now brought in Morgan Stanley as its lead bank to oversee the sell off process.

The FT says Bank of America Merrill Lynch is also expected to be handed a role in the process too, and says Deutsche Telekom is expected to appoint separate advisers.

Some analysts have placed a 10 billion (£8.47 billion) value on EE, which is the first operator to launch a 4G mobile service in the UK. It's ongoing value may well depend on how successful EE is in converting existing 2.5G and 3G customers to more expensive 4G mobile data contracts.

In February EE said its 4G service was available in a further nine towns and cities across the UK, bringing the total to 37 since the launch of the 4G network last year. It recently won more 4G spectrum to widen it service through an Ofcom auction, along with the other main UK mobile operators.

Comments

• enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/telecommunications/france-telecom-prepares-sale-of-ee

France Telecom has brought in banks to advise on a part flotation or sale of its EE mobile operator brand, reports the Financial Times.

France Telecom jointly owns EE with Deutsche Telekom following a merger of the UK Orange and T-Mobile brands in 2010. The FT says France Telecom has now brought in Morgan Stanley as its lead bank to oversee the sell off process.

The FT says Bank of America Merrill Lynch is also expected to be handed a role in the process too, and says Deutsche Telekom is expected to appoint separate advisers.

Some analysts have placed a 10 billion (£8.47 billion) value on EE, which is the first operator to launch a 4G mobile service in the UK. It's ongoing value may well depend on how successful EE is in converting existing 2.5G and 3G customers to more expensive 4G mobile data contracts.

In February EE said its 4G service was available in a further nine towns and cities across the UK, bringing the total to 37 since the launch of the 4G network last year. It recently won more 4G spectrum to widen it service through an Ofcom auction, along with the other main UK mobile operators.

Interesting I wasn't expecting this at all. Specially a potential sale of there of the company it would be extremely interesting to see who would be interesting that as it comprises a massive amount of UK spectrum and the most customers in the UK.
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    It has been suggested in the past that Tom Alexander was leading a consortium in which to buy EE though nothing further was reported of this. Additionally there has been suggestions that AT&T maybe about to expand internationally. AT&T was questioned whether that would mean acquiring overseas networks....I believe it was something along the lines "if it makes strategic sense". I think it was mentioned on the register though don't quote me on that one :confused:
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye Up wrote: »
    It has been suggested in the past that Tom Alexander was leading a consortium in which to buy EE though nothing further was reported of this. Additionally there has been suggestions that AT&T maybe about to expand internationally. AT&T was questioned whether that would mean acquiring overseas networks....I believe it was something along the lines "if it makes strategic sense". I think it was mentioned on the register though don't quote me on that one :confused:

Now you mention it I do remember Tom Alexander thing it fizzled out summer last year but it could be back for another attempt. Yeah I have heard AT&T were thinking of gaining European networks it's why everyone thought them likely to make a bid on Vodafone while they would only gain UK with EE they would gain the biggest UK network if they are still planning on it I expect they will consider this with a lot of 4G set up already done it is a great investment opportunity.