BB Posters Reunited and WELCOME to the lurkers! (Part 41)

Comments

• HickyHicky Posts: 50,488
    Forum Member
    Gemo52 wrote: »
    Good morning. :)
    Good Morning Gem.:)

A lovely day here, hope you have the same?
  • Flora PosteFlora Poste Posts: 18,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good morning. :)

Morning Gemo :D
  • JoJo4JoJo4 Posts: 38,663
    Forum Member
    Count to 20 and breath a bit harder it may work :D

I'm getting a picture of Honey all red faced, holding her breath!
    Have a good time, bit wary about the bike ride home though :eek::D

I thought the same, I'd ditch the bike after all those bubbles:cool:

Home now after tedious meeting, scheduled for 9.30 am meaning that I got up EARLY specifically so I wouldn't be late, the Chair was half an hour late and hardly apologetic at all. Meeting was unnecessary anyway, points had been dealt with by email and phone. The other 3 of us left Chair when meeting ended and had coffee without her - she's becoming very pompous.

ETA Morning Gemo:)
  • Scots roolScots rool Posts: 276,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Afternoon all.....it's chucking it down here today! :rolleyes:
  • Gemo52Gemo52 Posts: 128,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hicky wrote: »
    Good Morning Gem.:)

A lovely day here, hope you have the same?

Very pleasant.
    Morning Gemo :D

JoJo4 wrote: »
    I'm getting a picture of Honey all red faced, holding her breath!

I thought the same, I'd ditch the bike after all those bubbles:cool:

Home now after tedious meeting, scheduled for 9.30 am meaning that I got up EARLY specifically so I wouldn't be late, the Chair was half an hour late and hardly apologetic at all. Meeting was unnecessary anyway, points had been dealt with by email and phone. The other 3 of us left Chair when meeting ended and had coffee without her - she's becoming very pompous.

ETA Morning Gemo:)

Hiya Flora and JoJo.

I sent for some replacement tiny forks and long spoons from Amazon because I hadn’t seen any in local shops and they were so nice (WMF) Mr G said about replacing some of our old cutlery and the cutlery sets were less than half price.
  • Gemo52Gemo52 Posts: 128,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Scots rool wrote: »
    Afternoon all.....it's chucking it down here today! :rolleyes:

I suppose it will be heading our way then. :(
  • Scots roolScots rool Posts: 276,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose it will be heading our way then. :(

More than likely.
  • JoJo4JoJo4 Posts: 38,663
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know how I can find my UID number on FB?

I always want to call it 'IUD' must be Freudian:cool:
  • dancing ledgedancing ledge Posts: 13,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morning everyone :)

No, Hicky on this occasion it would NOT have been ok because if (as last time)other pupils overhear idiot teachers saying (booming) your daughter is a pleasure to teach/perfect student/going to pass with distinction/wishes other students were more like her then it is NOT beneficial to your own child or others and we arrived WELL WITHIN THE APPOINTED TIME to account for this.
    We did not haphazardly wander in at any old time. The fault was with the staff and they ADMITTED IT and APOLOGISED.

I'm never sure whether Hicky winds you up on purpose or not; but I'm pretty sure he did this time, because you'd explained clearly enough what happened. I'm laughing a little bit, I admit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JoJo4 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how I can find my UID number on FB?

I always want to call it 'IUD' must be Freudian:cool:

Did it slip your memory.

Facebook is all Greek to me, I fear.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting reading last night's posts and seeing that Gemo used to be a hippy. Also surprised anyone would admit to having seen Gong. :D
  • tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    afternoon all :) lecture was fun yesterday evening and interesting
  • nowahallanowahalla Posts: 10,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hellooooo:D
    I'm back:D didn't fall off my bike either:p
    Was very virtuous and only had three glasses of bubbles, and a lot of very yummy nibbles so I'm stuffed!
    Kids are having pizza and I'm reclining on 't'sofa:D
    Himself wants to go play on the boat tomorrow so I've been trying to sort out the gear, unfortunately we appear to have lost stuff again, he's not going to be a happy bunny, all the moreso given that he's the one who left it behind.....plus, despite it being a posh yacht club, they're a bunch of lightfingered wee shites there so the chances of anything still being around are absolutely nil:( - an expensive mistake to make:(

anyhoo, nowt much happening here now, waiting for the return of the prodigal one:rolleyes: and then zzzzzz....citin way to spend a friday evening...should be off down Patpong or Soi Cowboy picking fights with the ladyboys:D
    Forum Member
    I'm never sure whether Hicky winds you up on purpose or not; but I'm pretty sure he did this time, because you'd explained clearly enough what happened. I'm laughing a little bit, I admit.
    Me, now what would give you that idea, I couldn't wind a clock up.:D
    Did it slip your memory.

Facebook is all Greek to me, I fear.
    Have you tried the English version?.:D
    I love musical chairs as well.:D
    nowahalla wrote: »
    hellooooo: D
    I'm back: D didn't fall off my bike either: p
    Was very virtuous and only had three glasses of bubbles, and a lot of very yummy nibbles so I'm stuffed!
    Kids are having pizza and I'm reclining on 't'sofa:D
    Himself wants to go play on the boat tomorrow so I've been trying to sort out the gear, unfortunately we appear to have lost stuff again, he's not going to be a happy bunny, all the moreso given that he's the one who left it behind.....plus, despite it being a posh yacht club, they're a bunch of lightfingered wee shites there so the chances of anything still being around are absolutely nil:( - an expensive mistake to make:(

anyhoo, nowt much happening here now, waiting for the return of the prodigal one:rolleyes: and then zzzzzz....citin way to spend a friday evening...should be off down Patpong or Soi Cowboy picking fights with the ladyboys:D
    Unlikely when they tied you on.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A little bit more on the red-meat-is-bad-for-you study. I found it very worrying, given how much meat I eat; but I'm feeling reassured after looking into it a bit more.

For example, apparently half of American meat consumption is hamburger meat (I know, I can hardly believe that either). A lot of that would be eaten with fries, then, wouldn't it? Or white buns. Who can say what the latter contributed to the findings. (Hamburger meat, which usually contains dubious filler, was counted as non-processed meat in the survey!)

Also, not only did the amount of unhealthy behaviour (smoking, lack of exercise, etc.) correlate with the higher levels of meat consumption, but so did higher total intake of calories. So the people who eat the most meat also eat the most food: therefore who's to say that the increased early mortality of meat eaters did not have more to do with overeating (and maybe with being overweight) than with meat in particular?

Finally, it seems that some of the headlines, such as "Meat causes 1 in 10 deaths" are misleading or inaccurate, and that the implications of the study are far less drastic. A 20% increased risk of early mortality in processed-meat eaters, for example, is not a 20% risk of early mortality overall: it is a 20% increase of risk of early death from cardiovascular disease on top of the pre-existing risk. So, for example, if we all have, say, a 5% risk of dying from cardiovascular disease, our risk would go up to 6% if we eat lots of processed red meat--an increase of 1%. The increase would be even less for cancer, and still less for cardiovascular disease and cancer in those eating red meat but not processed meat. Not so frightening after all.

I don't know what the figures are for other diseases--they didn't figure in this survey. But if we knew them we could arguably deduct percentages from our overall (as opposed to meat-related) risk of early death, according to any positive dietary and lifestyle habits we have. Say the risk of dying early for smokers was 10%--non-smokers could offset most of that against any increased risk from meat eating. And so on with the other possible causes of early mortality. My guess is that in most of us the risks would even out, giving us good odds of normal longevity. Those most likely to die early would be people who manifest a whole cluster of higher-risk behaviours--not just meat eating but high alcohol and cigarette consumption, high junk-food consumption, lack of exercise, etc.

OK, time for my chop.
    Forum Member
    Now!, you're not going to believe this.

I've just found out the the Tyres i took off to put the Winter (M&S) ones on, were already (M&S).:eek:

I took 4 off and changed them.:D

Mind you i thought they needed renewing but my lad said there was another year in them.
    The garage must have put them on when i bought the car.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me, now what would give you that idea, I couldn't wind a clock up.:D

Have you tried the English version?.:D

Unlikely when they tied you on.:D

I smell burning undercrackers....:p:D
    cheeky sod, there was no tying on involved...:D I was fully in control of the vehicle at all times...besides it's a private estate so thpbbpbpttptbpb...:D
    Forum Member
    A little bit more on the red-meat-is-bad-for-you study. I found it very worrying, given how much meat I eat; but I'm feeling reassured after looking into it a bit more.

For example, apparently half of American meat consumption is hamburger meat (I know, I can hardly believe that either). A lot of that would be eaten with fries, then, wouldn't it? Or white buns. Who can say what the latter contributed to the findings. (Hamburger meat, which usually contains dubious filler, was counted as non-processed meat in the survey!)

Also, not only did the amount of unhealthy behaviour (smoking, lack of exercise, etc.) correlate with the higher levels of meat consumption, but so did higher total intake of calories. So the people who eat the most meat also eat the most food: therefore who's to say that the increased early mortality of meat eaters did not have more to do with overeating (and maybe with being overweight) than with meat in particular.

Finally, it seems that some of the headlines, such as "Meat causes 1 in 10 deaths" are misleading or inaccurate, and that the implications of the study are far less drastic. A 20% increased risk of early mortality in processed-meat eaters, for example, is not a 20% risk of early mortality overall: it is a 20% increase of risk of early death from cardiovascular disease on top of the pre-existing risk. So, for example, if we all have, say, a 5% risk of dying from cardiovascular disease, our risk would go up to 6% if we eat lots of processed red meat--an increase of 1%. The increase would be even less for cancer, and still less for cardiovascular disease and cancer in those eating red meat but not processed meat. Not so frightening after all.

I don't know what the figures are for other diseases--they didn't figure in this survey. But if we knew them we could arguably deduct percentages from our overall (as opposed to meat-related) risk of early death, according to any positive dietary and lifestyle habits we have. Say the risk of dying early for smokers was 10%--we could offset mosty of that against any increased risk from meat eating. And so on with the other possible causes of mortality. My guess is that in most of us the risks would even out, giving us good odds of normal longevity. Those most likely to die early would be people who have a whole cluster of higher-risk behaviours--not just meat-eating but high alcohol and cigarette consumption, high junk-food consumption, lack of exercise, etc.

OK, time for my chop.
    I'm just working that out, if we don't eat everything they say not to, then we need to either keep chickens or open a fish farm.

But what's the death rate exactly if we don't eat anything?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Relieved to have you back alive and well. We never know when dark matter will strike.
    Forum Member
    nowahalla wrote: »
    I smell burning undercrackers....:p:D
    cheeky sod, there was no tying on involved...:D I was fully in control of the vehicle at all times...besides it's a private estate so thpbbpbpttptbpb...:D
    They all say that when dragged out of the ditch.:D

I'mmm flurry innnn connnntrolly ooff myy biikkkeee olificer, onist.
    Forum Member
    Relieved to have you back alive and well. We never know when dark matter will strike.
    It's ok if it strikes at night because you won't see it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just working that out, if we don't eat everything they say not to, then we need to either keep chickens or open a fish farm.

But what's the death rate exactly if we don't eat anything?

That classifies as 100%.

The way I look at it (simplistically, I know) is that everything balances out (if we're smart).

So in a meal of meat, potatoes, carrots, and cabbage, maybe I'd get two minuses and two pluses, evening out to no risk.

One day I might have a meal of fish (battered) and chips, followed by an ice cream (all minuses). But I could even this out the next day by having chicken, peas, beans, broccoli, or whatever.

I could eat a bag of crisps (minus). And later an apple (plus).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now!, you're not going to believe this.

I've just found out the the Tyres i took off to put the Winter (M&S) ones on, were already (M&S).:eek:

I took 4 off and changed them.:D

Mind you i thought they needed renewing but my lad said there was another year in them.
    The garage must have put them on when i bought the car.

ahahahahahahahahahaahahahahhaaaaaaa...

..and breathe.....:D:D

ahahaahaahahaahahahaahaaaaa:p:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That classifies as 100%.

The way I look at it (simplistically, I know) is that everything balances out (if we're smart).

So in a meal of meat, potatoes, carrots, and cabbage, maybe I'd get two minuses and two pluses, evening out to no risk.

One day I might have a meal of fish and chips, followed by an ice cream (all minuses). But I could even this out the next day by having fish, peas, beans, broccoli, or whatever.

I could eat a bag of crisps (minus). And later an apple (plus).

exactly...
    gin (minus), tonic (assume neutral), lemon (plus) ;):D
  • tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

off out again intoi the universe again tonight

going to a gig :cool:
This discussion has been closed.