Microsoft remove Kinect requirement for Xbox One

SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Yet another 180 from the PR disaster that is the Xbox one. Why not make all these changes at once in a big fanfare announcement. All these changes over time will confuse people as to what it actually does now. At the moment it still comes packaged with the Kinect which means now you are paying for something that you not only don't want, you dont actually need. (I know a few diehards will tell you they want the Kinect but they will only say that as long as MS are backing it)
In addition to reversing its used game DRM policies for Xbox One, Microsoft has revealed that the console will no longer require Kinect to function. In our latest Ask Microsoft Anything, Xbox Corporate Vice President Marc Whitten revealed that Xbox One owners will be able to use all of the console's core functions regardless of whether the new Kinect sensor is connected. Naturally, many of the tentpole features of the new Kinect, such as player identification, voice commands, etc., will be disabled as a result, but players will still be able to play games and access entertainment content.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/08/12/xbox-one-no-longer-requires-kinect-to-function

Comments

• ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As it's no longer needed then take it out of the box and drop the price of the console.....result !
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not really that confusing to keep up.
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kendoguk wrote: »
    It's not really that confusing to keep up.

Keep up, thats it exactly. By the time the thing is released how many more changes will be made?
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As it's no longer needed then take it out of the box and drop the price of the console.....result !

This is probably what they will do next and drop the price to be more competitive with the PS4.

They have so got it all wrong so far!
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keep up, thats it exactly. By the time the thing is released how many more changes will be made?

What else has changed apart from DRM and self-publishing?

I'm loving the comments on the DS article about people complaining about MS doing a 180 again. I really don't see what people are moaning about to be honest. The main thing MS did wrong was their market research, but then again it only takes a few people to moan on the Internet about something to get the ball rolling.

People complained about the DRM and having Kinect "spy on them" so MS have removed it. People now complain about MS doing a 180. Jeez.:p

MS years ago never listened to customer feedback for anything, now they are and are getting slatted for it. :rolleyes:
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing really just more MS bashing as it seems the in thing at the moment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With all the 180's MS have done, their heads must be spinning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With all the 180's MS have done, their heads must be spinning.

Again, what other 180's apart from DRM and self-publishing have they done?
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    MS years ago never listened to customer feedback for anything, now they are and are getting slatted for it. :rolleyes:

I never really understood this mentality, if you complain about a company (Or Government for that matter) not listening to feedback you cannot then turn around and throw U-Turn or 180 in their face when they do listen and change things.

Family share
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    Family share

Does that not fall under the DRM change or is that the Family Live accounts?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does that not fall under the DRM change or is that the Family Live accounts?

Possibly.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    What else has changed apart from DRM and self-publishing?

I'm loving the comments on the DS article about people complaining about MS doing a 180 again. I really don't see what people are moaning about to be honest. The main thing MS did wrong was their market research, but then again it only takes a few people to moan on the Internet about something to get the ball rolling.

People complained about the DRM and having Kinect "spy on them" so MS have removed it. People now complain about MS doing a 180. Jeez.:p

Hang on a minute didn't MS say at E3 that the Kinect was integral to the operation of the Xbox1 and that the planet would burt into flames should you try to use it without. Now it's not integral, so does that mean your only getting half the user experience, with a rushed new OS.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hang on a minute didn't MS say at E3 that the Kinect was integral to the operation of the Xbox1 and that the planet would burt into flames should you try to use it without. Now it's not integral, so does that mean your only getting half the user experience, with a rushed new OS.

Just like online if you don't connect the Kinect you will get a lesser experience, but you might actually want that lesser experience. MS are just giving people the choice they should have done from the start.

Now its up to MS to create the software and experiences to make people want to connect up their Kinect unit. They have certainly achieved this with online, I doubt many people serious about gaming would have their console offline. Sadly they have yet to really demonstrate why I should connect up my Kinect, there are no compelling games and no compelling features.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

First I've heard about them rushing the OS. Can you give more info?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not how many they have done, it's the fact that they keep changing things that's pissing people off but at least they are listening. And what about the inclusion of a headset with the new console, first it was no then maybe.....make up yer mind ffs and stop ****ing around.
  • muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

DRM (used game sales + Regional Locks + Playing without disk)
    Self-Publishing
    Always On-line
    Family Sharing (Game sharing + Game roaming)
    Mandatory Kinect
    Headset
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To hear one has only to listen. Well known quote that Microsoft has being doing a lot of and I for one dont see what the problem is.

Maybe its upsetting a few ps4 people I honestly don't know, but ms got it so wrong out of the gate, what we're seeing now is them putting a few things right.

It's all good as far as I can see.
  • gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member

So now if you use an Xbox1 without Kinect it will be like using Windows 8 on a desktop PC. At least they're consistent :rolleyes:
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    munta wrote: »
    DRM
    Self-Publishing
    Always On-line
    Family Sharing
    Mandatory Kinect

Headset.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Headset.....

Thanks - I'll edit :)
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    First I've heard about them rushing the OS. Can you give more info?

That was speculation on my part, but I would imagine it's like writing a desk top OS that uses a mouse, then being told actually there is no mouse, so can you please re-write the os, only they have less than 2 months to get it sorted.

Has the Xbox made it to FCC yet?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The point is this could all have been avoided.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    munta wrote: »
    DRM (used game sales + Regional Locks + Playing without disk)
    Always On-line
    Family Sharing (Game sharing + Game roaming)

All of this was part of the DRM changes.

And the headset? Really come on?! People are classing them including one as a 180 change too?
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its a "thing" because we all said from Day 1 what they were doing was wrong. They told us we were wrong and they told us this is what we wanted. Then they backtrack when they realise they were wrong, so yes they will be bashed. For every change they make that gamers have said from the start "Don't do that/we don't want that" they will be bashed. And they deserve it. It could have easily been avoided and if they had all these changes in one go it wouldn't be nearly as bad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All of this was part of the DRM changes.

And the headset? Really come on?! People are classing them including one as a 180 change too?

No it wasn't. It was all announced at the same time but they all offered very different functionality.

And yes, the headset was a 180. Initially they said one wasn't going to be included and now one is.