How Old is too Old?

dvirgodvirgo Posts: 400
Forum Member
Having grown up watching the show with Older actors I wonder whether after Matt Smith's Doctor, would they go back to a actor in his 40's or 50's?

The success and focus that Matt Smith has brought to the show especially around the world makes me wonder whether fans would accept a Pertwee/Hartnell aged actor?

Personally I'd prefer an older actor but wonder in these times of everyone having to be physically perfect. Would it be accepted?

Comments

• sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dvirgo wrote: »
    Having grown up watching the show with Older actors I wonder whether after Matt Smith's Doctor, would they go back to a actor in his 40's or 50's?

The success and focus that Matt Smith has brought to the show especially around the world makes me wonder whether fans would accept a Pertwee/Hartnell aged actor?

Personally I'd prefer an older actor but wonder in these times of everyone having to be physically perfect. Would it be accepted?

It would only work if The Doctor was to wear a cunning disguise:D
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    It's often argued that younger viewers will not be able to relate to an older actor these days, but I'm not entirely convinced by this argument. Lis Sladen was in her late 50s when she started on SJA, a show aimed at younger viewers, so it could work. It depends on how it's implemented I guess.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No older than 1200.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In an era of sneeringly calling someone an "old man", even if they are no older than 25, I fear not.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No older than 1200.

I think 950 was too old — that's why we skipped back to 900.

There probably is no too old for the actor, as long as they can run around and so on, and lots of people seem to continue doing that far into old age.

He's not in old age yet but ask yourself why Bruce Willis wouldn't be a good Doctor. I'm willing to bet his age doesn't come into it but he's 58 now, so would be the oldest person yet to take the part.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    The production team have made it clear that their preference for younger actors mostly isn't to do with attractiveness to the audience, but the physical rigours required for the role. That's not to say an older actor couldn't work, but it would be harder.
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A fit 55 probably. I can see anyone older being able to keep up with the physicality. As for the audience - a crazy uncle type might well appeal, if he had a younger sexy male companion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With Doctors 1 through 10, whenever they mentioned how terribly 'old' they were - it always felt like they were just showing off - as opposed to conveying any real semblance of longevity.

But when 11 says it, even despite his baby face & usual joyful buffoonery - he actually conveys a tangible sense of the countless years weighing heavily upon him. He's not just showing off when he says it. He's reminding you, he is genuinely ancient.

His face seems to physically change.

Ergo, the next Doctor's actor age is fairly irrelevant to me. If he can make me FEEL he's old, his actual age becomes nothing more than a mask the Doctor's wearing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sh'boobie wrote: »
    But when 11 says it, even despite his baby face & usual joyful buffoonery - he actually conveys a tangible sense of the countless years weighing heavily upon him. He's not just showing off when he says it. He's reminding you, he is genuinely ancient.

I see the Eleventh Doctor as a man who has lived and has run a long way to find the one thing that he needs to keep him going but he is still searching even though it was right in front of him, in plain sight.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »
    He's not in old age yet but ask yourself why Bruce Willis wouldn't be a good Doctor. I'm willing to bet his age doesn't come into it but he's 58 now, so would be the oldest person yet to take the part.

I don't need to ask myself. :p
    A fit 55 probably. I can see anyone older being able to keep up with the physicality. As for the audience - a crazy uncle type might well appeal, if he had a younger sexy male companion.

I wish they would try it that way, but to a lot of people (including the actor) it might seem like a 'demotion' for the Doctor, so it probably won't happen. :(
    Sh'boobie wrote: »
    With Doctors 1 through 10, whenever they mentioned how terribly 'old' they were - it always felt like they were just showing off - as opposed to conveying any real semblance of longevity.

Ergo, the next Doctor's actor age is fairly irrelevant to me. If he can make me FEEL he's old, his actual age becomes nothing more than a mask the Doctor's wearing.

All this and more. :cool:
    sandydune wrote: »
    I see the Eleventh Doctor as a man who has lived and has run a long way to find the one thing that he needs to keep him going but he is still searching even though it was right in front of him, in plain sight.:D

And what is that thing?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »

And what is that thing?

I don't know :D Maybe his own reflection within a camera, the static doctor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :)hm tom baker 40s now mature , excellenttt dr
    matt smith 20 odd not that good i feel at times as the dr
    young age dont mean good ax
  • dvirgodvirgo Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    I think 950 was too old — that's why we skipped back to 900.

There probably is no too old for the actor, as long as they can run around and so on, and lots of people seem to continue doing that far into old age.

I think because its international movie actor Bruce willis would be carrying more weight than his age. The Doctor is usually cast from the relatively unknown actor pool. I don't know which actors of a similar age to Bruce Willis in the UK they could got for.

I also think that physical attractiveness is more of an issue, probably not for younger kids but for teens and up its definitely a factor. Do you think that Tom Baker or Jon Pertwee would be cast these days
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Although I would not have a problem with an appropriate actor in the role, Derek Jacobi (born 1938) and David Warner (born 1941) having made memorable contributions to the show, with John Hurt (born 1940) scheduled to make an appearance, and older actors can demonstrate their superior capabilities, I am not sure whether the Producer would opt for someone older than themselves....unfortunately, in the case of the recent James Bond movie, the role of Q was assigned to some pleb with acne who appeared to have graduated from Junior High.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    DariaM wrote: »
    ....unfortunately, in the case of the recent James Bond movie, the role of Q was assigned to some pleb with acne who appeared to have graduated from Junior High.

Which was entirely the point. Bond is supposed to feel old and threatened by this young-looking upstart who understands the new way of the world.

Daniel Craig is 45, Ben Whishaw is 32.
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bruce Willis would be an appalling choice to play the Doctor for a number of reasons (imo), but his age wouldn't be one of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bruce Willis would be an appalling choice to play the Doctor for a number of reasons (imo), but his age wouldn't be one of them.

For one thing, he should be able to convey intelligence.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ..unfortunately, in the case of the recent James Bond movie, the role of Q was assigned to some pleb with acne who appeared to have graduated from Junior High.

I take it you didn't see Whishaw's Richard II then? It was sublime.

I'd love Whishaw for 12, personally, but I don't think he'd want to do it.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member
    Although I would not have a problem with an appropriate actor in the role, Derek Jacobi (born 1938) and David Warner (born 1941) having made memorable contributions to the show, with John Hurt (born 1940) scheduled to make an appearance, and older actors can demonstrate their superior capabilities, I am not sure whether the Producer would opt for someone older than themselves....unfortunately, in the case of the recent James Bond movie, the role of Q was assigned to some pleb with acne who appeared to have graduated from Junior High.

I take it you are referring to Bafta award winning actor Ben Wishaw, who happens to be one of this country's leading actors. He's 32 for crying out loud, so far from being covered in acne and just graduated from school. Why does ageism only apply to people insulting the older generation!?
  • dvirgodvirgo Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    I think Ben Wishaw has already said he's not up for it. Being 32 would be good age i guess.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....unfortunately, in the case of the recent James Bond movie, the role of Q was assigned to some pleb with acne who appeared to have graduated from Junior High.

You've been informed several times on these boards that Ben Whishaw is in fact 32 and a highly regarded, award winning actor. It is easily verifiable. I cannot understand why you repeatedly post such crap. Really, why?:confused:

Edited to add: Just glanced at some of your other posts. You believe J K Rowling was a waitress, and everything post-2005 Who is non-canon. I no longer need an answer to my question, as it is clearly and simply that you are a complete prat.

Carry on.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kaybee15 wrote: »
    You've been informed several times on these boards that Ben Whishaw is in fact 32 and a highly regarded, award winning actor. It is easily verifiable. I cannot understand why you repeatedly post such crap. Really, why?:confused:

Edited to add: Just glanced at some of your other posts. You believe J K Rowling was a waitress, and everything post-2005 Who is non-canon. I no longer need an answer to my question, as it is clearly and simply that you are a complete prat.

Carry on.
    Don't bother. DariaM repeatedly posts the same rubbish without any intention of ever discussing her strange claims with other people. She just pops up, spouts her drivel and then disappears until the next time.

Her persistent and repetitive trolling has reached the point where it's not even entertaining anymore. Now it's just disturbing.
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Moffat and Davies both said they wouldn't go much over 40 for the actor playing the Doctor. They've both said the intense schedule is one of the main reasons - it was apparently hard work for a super-fit David Tennant in his 30s and Matt Smith said a while back that he couldn't have contemplated going for Tom's seven-year record because "I'd be run into the ground".

An actor of the age Hartnell or Pertwee were is absolutely out of the question - and was actually out of the question towards the end of the classic series too IMHO. There was a trend that developed:

Hartnell - mid late 50s

Troughton - late 40s

Pertwee - early 50s

Tom Baker - early mid 40s

Davison - early 30s

Colin Baker - early 40s

McCoy - mid 40s

McGann - 30s

Eccleston - early 40s

Tennant - 30s

Smith - 20s

You can see there's been a general trend.
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    How old is that guy who plays M in James Bond that's been rumoured for The Doctor?

That old is too old....
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How old is that guy who plays M in James Bond that's been rumoured for The Doctor?

That old is too old....

Is there an actor who hasn't been rumoured for it? :rolleyes:

I think you mean Ralph Fiennes, who is 50 and not only too old but also too big a film star to consider it. A bit like when Aled Jones asked Helen Mirren and she said "I absolutely wouldn't contemplate that".