Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robspace54 wrote: »
    Watching DM E3-S6 "the Two of Us." About 9 minutes in - after Martin and Louisa have officially become a couple...

I was watching parts of S3E5 (working on another one of my projects! ;)) and noticed something that I don't think we have discussed. Or maybe we did and I don't remember.

When Martin is leaving Louisa's house after being "smarmy" to Holly, Martin asks, "Why do you always find fault?" Louisa responds, "There's no good acting nice Martin, you've got to want to." And Martin shouts, "Why?".

While the scene was played for laughs, I can see Martin's point. Louisa has been after him about improving his bedside manner, and when he does attempt to do this she goes after him. Why does he have to "want to"? Many times in my career dealing with the public I acted nice to people when I didn't want to. Most of the time I DID want to or I would have hated my job, but Martin "acting" nice could be just a first step for him. Unfortunately, Louisa's reaction shut that down.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    You just wanted to watch the kiss on the balcony a few times (or a few dozen times - oops! :rolleyes:)

But is anybody happy - together or apart? At least prior to the scene at the castle......

I'm with you regarding the kiss on the balcony - so romantic and the Doc actually took the initiative!

But, as I've said before, the Castle scene didn't resolve everything IMO. Despite the fact that the Doc then said he loved Louisa, he looked unhappy and even pained - not relaxed, finally at peace. His words and facial expressions did not match. So, like someone here on the forum, in S6 I vote for them waking up together in bed, VERY comfortable, then having a long, difficult conversation. I want them to both really talk AND share some great sex. :)
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dunno. I spent summers either there or up at our cabin on Lake Vermillion as a child. Everyone in my family were teachers or musicians, the males that is. My grandmothers and aunts barely spoke English-they were all traditional Italian housewives. They were all born in Italy and moved to the US as teenagers/young adults.

Having grown up there it is easy to understand the Finns living there-it is just like Finland climate and topography wise.

A good rule of thumb for where the Nordic peoples are in the northern plains is: UP of Michigan and Arrowhead of Minnesota=Mostly Finns. Red River Valley of Minnesota and North Dakota=Mostly Norwegians. Rest of Minnesota=Mostly Swedes with some Danes. Nortwestern North Dakota=So Norwegian that most of the old folks still spoke Norwegian in the home. South Central North Dakota=So German that the old folks spoke german in the home and sounded like Lawrence Welk when they were speaking English (the captial is named after Otto von Bismarck, after all). The only purpose Iowa and Wisconsin really serve is to grow Corn, make cheese and Leinenkugel's beer and act as a buffer to keep people from Illinois out. :p

Oh, Adelie and all the rest of you, OMG,
    You have just taken me on a trip through my childhood and right up to tying together that all with my trip to Cornwall last year!! I grew up in Wisconsin of Polish ancestry and was raised on pasties as much as Polish and American foods. I still make them and indeed, have sitting near me the postcard from the UP of Michigan that my friends sent me last year on their way to Quebec that has a pasty recipe on it. Having pasties in Cornwall was heaven to me.
    I have always known of the mining in the UP for some reason but never connected it to Cornwall until I was there.

I know the UP (Ironwood, MI), as we went there often for a while for my Dad to get treatments of some sort for a back problem. It was a little further than just our yearly trips "up north" fishing and one of only 2 places we ever went outside the state (the other being East Grand Forks, Minn. for an uncle's funeral.) But I did escape into the UP one time with a boyfriend on a day trip my parents never found out about all the way to Keweenaw Bay--shocking!

And after high school I worked at a little restaurant right on the main highway from Chicago to "up north" and we really did have a thing about those "Chicago" or "Illinois" people. Don't know why. Seems so silly to me now. My college boyfriend introduced me to Leinenkugel's as he was from western Wisconsin. I impressed my first principal here when I brought him two cans back for his beer can collection. And yes, don't forget to put cheddar cheese on top of your next piece of apple pie--so nice!

Connections, connections, connections! Fascinating to the little Wisconsin farm girl inside me that only dreamed of seeing the UK since reading "How Green was My Valley" in fifth grade and never thought she'd get anywhere. And now I have Martin and all of you wonderful souls who share the passion! Thanks for indulging me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was watching parts of S3E5 (working on another one of my projects! ;)) and noticed something that I don't think we have discussed. Or maybe we did and I don't remember.

When Martin is leaving Louisa's house after being "smarmy" to Holly, Martin asks, "Why do you always find fault?" Louisa responds, "There's no good acting nice Martin, you've got to want to." And Martin shouts, "Why?".

While the scene was played for laughs, I can see Martin's point. Louisa has been after him about improving his bedside manner, and when he does attempt to do this she goes after him. Why does he have to "want to"? Many times in my career dealing with the public I acted nice to people when I didn't want to. Most of the time I DID want to or I would have hated my job, but Martin "acting" nice could be just a first step for him. Unfortunately, Louisa's reaction shut that down.

I quite agree, ShopGirl! My evangelical Christian upbringing told me that I had to "feel the Spirit" and that would produce the right behavior. Years ago I came to the conclusion - not in a religious sense - that it is more important to just do the things you know you need to do and the feelings will flow. Just do the right thing. I, too, am sorry that Louisa shut Martin down for his Herculean efforts at niceness and civility.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me, too. I thought this snippet was particularly interesting if we apply it to the DM characters we know. "Create a journey for your character(s). Here's a basic technique. Take a character. Give her one desire, one thing that she wants. Find a way to say, in a sequence of pictures, what that desire is. Now put something in the way of the character and the desire. She wants a cup of tea? But there's no tea in the jar. How does she make the tea? Let's see her try. Make sure the viewer is going to care whether she succeeds or not. Then they will enjoy the trying. Then they will feel the frustration of failure. When your character finally fails or succeeds – or, as these things often go, she settles on a secondary goal (a cup of fine coffee?) – we should feel that she has learned something. At the least, your character should change in the story. She must not end as she began."

Yes, what a simple yet effective way of thinking about constructing a story. I find I soon give up on stories of any kind where the characters are too static or one-dimensional, as though nothing ever affects them.

I would love to hear from robspace how he manages the delightful fanfiction he's done. How does his mind concoct the frame of it, and the fleshing out of the whole thing. I know my process, but am always interested in others.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know the UP (Ironwood, MI), as we went there often for a while

My sister works in Ironwood. That's the "big city" for those people!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite agree, ShopGirl! My evangelical Christian upbringing told me that I had to "feel the Spirit" and that would produce the right behavior. Years ago I came to the conclusion - not in a religious sense - that it is more important to just do the things you know you need to do and the feelings will flow. Just do the right thing. I, too, am sorry that Louisa shut Martin down for his Herculean efforts at niceness and civility.

Is it behavioral psychology that says a person's behavior can change their thinking and feelings? So "acting" kind will actually result in you feeling and/or thinking in kinder ways and thus your behavior changes.

It seemed as though Louisa wanted Doc to make a big leap from one way of being to the other and forgot there might be some baby steps in between or that he was at least trying to do what she asked. I didn't blame him for getting frustrated with her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member

Yes, that was one of the many times I got aggravated with Louisa. Give the man some credit for trying, for corn's sake! You know, sometimes you make the decision to do something only because someone you love wants you to, even when you have absolutely no desire to do it. This was a big step for the Doc, in my opinion, showing just how much he is willing to make Louisa happy. And then she shoots him down. I wanted to reach through the screen and shake her. :mad::cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Great Re-watch

S4 ep 8 The Wrong Goodbye
    I
    Writer: Jack Lothian
    Director: Ben Bolt

Dr. Martin Ellingham and Pauline are surprised by the number of patients coming to see him on the last day before his Surgery closes and he moves to London, but after a series of mishaps, including the taxi driver crashing his car with Louisa inside it, Louisa goes into labour and the Doc is facing a dilemma; should he move away or stick around to support Louisa and their newborn child?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    Visited Port Isaac last week. The locals are preparing for the filming which starts next week :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm with you regarding the kiss on the balcony - so romantic and the Doc actually took the initiative!

But, as I've said before, the Castle scene didn't resolve everything IMO. Despite the fact that the Doc then said he loved Louisa, he looked unhappy and even pained - not relaxed, finally at peace. His words and facial expressions did not match. So, like someone here on the forum, in S6 I vote for them waking up together in bed, VERY comfortable, then having a long, difficult conversation. I want them to both really talk AND share some great sex. :)

I can't help but think that all or most of s6 is going to be a "long, difficult conversation" of how two people learn to adjust to each other and try to have a loving relationship. Though I do believe that we've already seen bits and pieces of it in s5--it's just that all the baby-related stuff kept getting in the way. I can't see anywhere else to go except for them to get back to living together but the focus is no longer the baby postpartum time issues so much. And working out the rest of their work and personal lives, like we all had to find our new normal after baby arrives. But I can't wait to see how clever the story lines are to do so. That's the magic of the series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sister works in Ironwood. That's the "big city" for those people!

Ahhh, small world....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    strewth wrote: »
    Visited Port Isaac last week. The locals are preparing for the filming which starts next week :)

Welcome!
    Any more details you can share? I'm seeing PI in my mind and wondering what it might be like. Takes me back to sitting in the Slipway having a drink last year. Wonder what the talk might be now?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That 'full English Breakfast' is generally known as a 'fry up'.

Sorry

But having lived my whole life in the UK I beg to differ

A ' Full English/Irish ' or an ' All Day Breakfast ' is as described in earlier posts and all protein items are not necessarily fried; may be grilled or oven baked.

A ' Full Irish ' is sometimes referred to as an ' Ulster Fry ' in parts of Northern Ireland.

A request for a ' Big Fry Up ' would elicit the question ' What would you like fried ? '

Not the same thing at all...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, that was one of the many times I got aggravated with Louisa. Give the man some credit for trying, for corn's sake! You know, sometimes you make the decision to do something only because someone you love wants you to, even when you have absolutely no desire to do it. This was a big step for the Doc, in my opinion, showing just how much he is willing to make Louisa happy. And then she shoots him down. I wanted to reach through the screen and shake her. :mad::cry:

And he even started practicing on Pauline's mother. Louisa didn't even know about that.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, Adelie and all the rest of you, OMG,
    You have just taken me on a trip through my childhood and right up to tying together that all with my trip to Cornwall last year!! I grew up in Wisconsin of Polish ancestry and was raised on pasties as much as Polish and American foods. I still make them and indeed, have sitting near me the postcard from the UP of Michigan that my friends sent me last year on their way to Quebec that has a pasty recipe on it. Having pasties in Cornwall was heaven to me.
    I have always known of the mining in the UP for some reason but never connected it to Cornwall until I was there.

I know the UP (Ironwood, MI), as we went there often for a while for my Dad to get treatments of some sort for a back problem. It was a little further than just our yearly trips "up north" fishing and one of only 2 places we ever went outside the state (the other being East Grand Forks, Minn. for an uncle's funeral.) But I did escape into the UP one time with a boyfriend on a day trip my parents never found out about all the way to Keweenaw Bay--shocking!

And after high school I worked at a little restaurant right on the main highway from Chicago to "up north" and we really did have a thing about those "Chicago" or "Illinois" people. Don't know why. Seems so silly to me now. My college boyfriend introduced me to Leinenkugel's as he was from western Wisconsin. I impressed my first principal here when I brought him two cans back for his beer can collection. And yes, don't forget to put cheddar cheese on top of your next piece of apple pie--so nice!

Connections, connections, connections! Fascinating to the little Wisconsin farm girl inside me that only dreamed of seeing the UK since reading "How Green was My Valley" in fifth grade and never thought she'd get anywhere. And now I have Martin and all of you wonderful souls who share the passion! Thanks for indulging me.

Hi Susie -- I was born and raised in Oconomowoc, a little farming town of about 6000, near Madison. Lots of Norwegians and Germans there. And I haven't heard of anybody else putting cheddar cheese on their apple pie since my father did it (although he was raised in Illinois!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it behavioral psychology that says a person's behavior can change their thinking and feelings? So "acting" kind will actually result in you feeling and/or thinking in kinder ways and thus your behavior changes.

I totally believe in this. I think actually there are studies that show, e.g., that moving your facial muscles into a smile improves your mood!

As they say in some 12-step groups, "fake it until you make it."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And he even started practicing on Pauline's mother. Louisa didn't even know about that.

Ahh, yes, that's why I was so frustrated with LG then. Because I had seen that as well. Thank you!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Hi Susie -- I was born and raised in Oconomowoc, a little farming town of about 6000, near Madison. Lots of Norwegians and Germans there. And I haven't heard of anybody else putting cheddar cheese on their apple pie since my father did it (although he was raised in Illinois!)

Northwest of you then in Stevens Point (about 25,000 then). Predominantly Polish with Scandahoovians all around. The hot lunch program at school seemed to require that if a dessert had apple in it, it always had cheese on it, too. As a kid, I figured it must have been a state law! (America's Dairyland after all). Sometimes we complained about the cheese.

Haven't I read that MC really likes his cheese? And so he should, as we had truly wonderful cheeses in England. It was hard not to eat too much of them.

Uh, uh. Didn't Doc have cheese and apple for dessert with the "enough sodium potatoes" meal with Louisa? Another connection!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »
    Sorry

But having lived my whole life in the UK I beg to differ

A ' Full English/Irish ' or an ' All Day Breakfast ' is as described in earlier posts and all protein items are not necessarily fried; may be grilled or oven baked.

A ' Full Irish ' is sometimes referred to as an ' Ulster Fry ' in parts of Northern Ireland.

A request for a ' Big Fry Up ' would elicit the question ' What would you like fried ? '

Not the same thing at all...

Just going by what it was called in our little bit of London.

Interesting that the Daily Mail calls it the same thing, too.

Why the British fry-up is the healthiest breakfast of all...
    Forum Member
    :eek::DOMG! We are surrounded by cheeseheads!
    Forum Member

It seemed as though Louisa wanted Doc to make a big leap from one way of being to the other and forgot there might be some baby steps in between or that he was at least trying to do what she asked. I didn't blame him for getting frustrated with her.

Reason #684626486 why it will be Louisa, not Martin, who makes or breaks the relationship in series 6.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reason #684626486 why it will be Louisa, not Martin, who makes or breaks the relationship in series 6.

deleted -- silly question.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    Am watching some idiotic new show where has-been celebrities and attention seeking bafoons have to participate in a diving competition :eek:

Just turning on my Netflix now what series are we watching?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    As they say in some 12-step groups, "fake it until you make it."

I've heard of this before. :rolleyes:;):cool::)
This discussion has been closed.