List of Best Selling Boy Group of All Time

2»

Comments

• Zeus555Zeus555 Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If One Direction have sold 12 Million Albums, then to have
    39 Million Sales they must have sold 27 Million Singles.

That is clearly far too high. Most of their Singles only
    spend 1 or 2 Weeks in the Top 10's of most Countries. In
    the Singles Charts of most Countries they enter high & nearly
    always drop in Week 2.

'What Makes You Beautiful' is their only Hit to have a decent
    Top 10 run across the World. The only one to have several Top 10
    Weeks in a lot of Countries. It sold over 5 Million. Their other
    Hits have sold no-where near as many.

No way can you sell 27 Million Singles with such Chart places.

You simply can't. You can pretend to have done so, however!

You will be believed by Journalists, who never check anything,
    & Fans who believe any hype.....
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zeus555 wrote: »

always drop in Week 2.

Do you feel better now?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    andi84 wrote: »
    The list is only about the album sales, and they are pretty much correct right now, standing at 12 million. They've sold a little over 5 million of each of their first two albums and the latest (Midnight Memories) will probably stand at about 2 million by now.

I think they incorrectly put last year's number (12 million records sold in 1 year) in the list of the album sales. Their total record sales as of now are 39 million.

Regardless of what the column title says, I'm inclined to believe the records total is calculated by adding various album sales with that of singles. Even with their compilation album sales, the Backstreet Boys are sitting at about 100 million albums sold.
  • coun3spicecoun3spice Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Coun3spice you say Take That weren't big in Asia but the fact is in multiple biographies and reports from US Billboard it states they were superstars in both Europe and Asia from 1994.

Just because you live in Asia doesn't necessarily mean you know/were aware of every single movement or every group across each country i'd be impressed if you did. Oasis were absolutely huge when I was growing up but that doesn't mean I was completely aware of them and every little fact.

The fact is Westlife have released more albums actually a good 4 more albums but are still close in sales as someone pointed out. So what does that say? Worldwide means regardless of selling loads in Europe and less other continents it's still Worldwide sales overall regardless. Doesn't matter if it's trillions in one continent and low to moderate in another continent it all counts. You have to sell to be on the list regardless of where you do it and if you sell big in a particular place so be it.

When you started this thread I knew the minute someone innocently mentions Take That you and potentially a handful of other Westlife fans would take issue. I don't see any replies to other groups that have been mentioned.

Why? Is it because they are British and for example an American boyband is less of a threat to Westlife's standing and legacy as they are foreign in a sense and so they don't provoke such a reaction. Is it because they are so close a comparison being that both came from different times in the 90's and are fairly close areas Ireland and Britain. If someone argued a Japanese/American group had sold more or close than Westlife and were 'Worldwide' yet only sold in America or Japan would you be so passionate about it and quick to the mark?

I like Westlife or rather the 1999 to 2002 years and am glad they are a success like i'm sure many Take That fans do but they don't bother commenting or getting involved as people don't actually care about things like this you know having much more important daily challenges going on. However it's a fact though that TT were global regardless of the length of time and well documented they had success in Asia that's a fact.

Was this a genuine thread of interest or a chance to big up Westlife? What do you feel about the other groups on the list aside from Westlife? Any favourites?

musicjukebox123, i am referring to take that's popularity or being known AS OF TODAY, of course i am fully aware that they were big enough during BACK FOR GOOD DAYS as you have mentioned in 1984.. and you can read that on my previous replies.

i am referring to TODAY'S time, where AS IF they were unknown in my continent, OF COURSE THAT IS A PERSONAL AND SUBJECTIVE point of view based on my PERSONAL AND SUBJECTIVE observation, and i believe i am entitled to that personal opinion based on personal observation..

i never discredit that they were very much popular DURING BACK FOR GOOD DAYS.. i am referring to today's time.

i am to admit, being a fan of westlife led me to the wikipedia article to the extent of creating the thread ( as i am very much fond of seeing sales figures).. and i find it very very interesting because the listing is quite complete and accurate..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    each person here has their own favorite boy group which became the reason or basis of their replies...
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodger0703 wrote: »
    Is the reason 'cos they are good'?

ha ha! could be!
    coun3spice wrote: »
    each person here has their own favorite boy group which became the reason or basis of their replies...

i dont, i dislike every act on that list.
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reason why BSB are no1 is that they were a boyband who appealed to everyone, even olders and guys, which is why they are no1 and deserve it, I wished we had more groups like them who focus more on music than looks & coolness, (they made idoits of themselves all the time and didn't care whereas 1D seem to try to act cool all the time when on stage resulting in them looming dull as the grey cloudy sky
  • siriusrosesiriusrose Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad to see TVXQ make the list, I'm surprised they never got a proper push outside of Asia considering their sales are so massive in South Korea and Japan. Very happy to see Westlife so high, they really did great worldwide, quite impressive that Ireland has two boybands in the top 20 actually. With the Japanese market getting bigger I believe, hopefully more Eastern boybands will climb this list.
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    siriusrose wrote: »
    Glad to see TVXQ make the list, I'm surprised they never got a proper push outside of Asia considering their sales are so massive in South Korea and Japan. Very happy to see Westlife so high, they really did great worldwide, quite impressive that Ireland has two boybands in the top 20 actually. With the Japanese market getting bigger I believe, hopefully more Eastern boybands will climb this list.

According to the article they're tied with NSync on sales, never expected that!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    musicjukebox123, i am referring to take that's popularity or being known AS OF TODAY, of course i am fully aware that they were big enough during BACK FOR GOOD DAYS as you have mentioned in 1984.. and you can read that on my previous replies.

i am referring to TODAY'S time, where AS IF they were unknown in my continent, OF COURSE THAT IS A PERSONAL AND SUBJECTIVE point of view based on my PERSONAL AND SUBJECTIVE observation, and i believe i am entitled to that personal opinion based on personal observation..

i never discredit that they were very much popular DURING BACK FOR GOOD DAYS.. i am referring to today's time.

i am to admit, being a fan of westlife led me to the wikipedia article to the extent of creating the thread ( as i am very much fond of seeing sales figures).. and i find it very very interesting because the listing is quite complete and accurate..

firgive me it's 1994 :)
  • andi84andi84 Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zeus555 wrote: »

always drop in Week 2.

Well, they also count the concert DVDs they sold, which stand at about 2 million, I'd say.
    Album sales are now probably closer to 14-15 million, which leaves a little over 20 million singles.

That is very well possible, as in the US alone, they've sold over 15 million singles, according to an official Billboard report (and they must know!): http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop-shop/5800541/one-direction-talk-midnight-memories-fans-the-future-Billboard-Cover-Story-q-and-a#3M99mEQ1gFdTkH0Q.99
    The band has also sold 15.6 million singles in the U.S., led by debut hit "What Makes You Beautiful" (4.4 million copies) as well as "One Thing" (1.5 million), "Live While We're Young" (1.2 million) and Midnight Memories' lead single "Best Song Ever" (1 million.)

In Australia, they had 18 platinum certifications (70k copies each) for their singles, which gives them at least 1.26 million singles sold over there. Probably over 1.5 million, as they have several gold certs and each song has most likely sold more than the certifications say (i.e. "Best Song Ever" has been certified Platinum a fews weeks/months ago, so it will have sold thousands of copies more than 70k, just not 140k which would give it a 2x Platinum certification).

In the UK, they have 1 platinum, 2 gold and 5 silver certifications, adding up to 2 million singles sold at least. However, it was reported back in August (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/s103/the-x-factor/news/a509119/leona-lewis-named-biggest-selling-x-factor-star-in-uk.html) that they have already sold 3.2 million singles in the UK. That's when Best Song Ever was just released and SOML hadn't even been released. So you can add another 500k to that number at least.

In Canada, they have at least 9 Platinum certifications (9 x 80k = 720k), leading to sales of over 1 million as well.

If you add these 4 countries up (the offical numbers, not made up by fans!), you have 15.6m + 1.5m + 3.7m + 1m = 21.8m!
    That doesn't even include Ireland, the rest of Europe, Latin America (where they are huge) and Japan.

So argue all you like, but that number certainly isn't too high! And you might have to reconsider your idea of them spending only 1-2 weeks in the top 10 in the charts. Certainly that's not true either, especially right now with Story Of My Life which has had an amazing chart run around the world and was still the 6th most sold track worldwide last week (in its 7th week!).
    So please stick to the facts!
  • MarcusjllMarcusjll Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, with digital downloads I can see One Direction selling around 25 million singles. I was shocked to see they have sold 35 million in 3 years though. I wonder when their popularity will inevitably wane...
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.statisticbrain.com/the-beatles-total-album-sales/

Going back in time to The Beatles and of course no downloads!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bee_Gees

And the Bee Gees
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andi84 wrote: »
    Well, they also count the concert DVDs they sold, which stand at about 2 million, I'd say.
    Album sales are now probably closer to 14-15 million, which leaves a little over 20 million singles.

That is very well possible, as in the US alone, they've sold over 15 million singles, according to an official Billboard report (and they must know!): http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop-shop/5800541/one-direction-talk-midnight-memories-fans-the-future-Billboard-Cover-Story-q-and-a#3M99mEQ1gFdTkH0Q.99

In Australia, they had 18 platinum certifications (70k copies each) for their singles, which gives them at least 1.26 million singles sold over there. Probably over 1.5 million, as they have several gold certs and each song has most likely sold more than the certifications say (i.e. "Best Song Ever" has been certified Platinum a fews weeks/months ago, so it will have sold thousands of copies more than 70k, just not 140k which would give it a 2x Platinum certification).

In the UK, they have 1 platinum, 2 gold and 5 silver certifications, adding up to 2 million singles sold at least. However, it was reported back in August (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/s103/the-x-factor/news/a509119/leona-lewis-named-biggest-selling-x-factor-star-in-uk.html) that they have already sold 3.2 million singles in the UK. That's when Best Song Ever was just released and SOML hadn't even been released. So you can add another 500k to that number at least.

In Canada, they have at least 9 Platinum certifications (9 x 80k = 720k), leading to sales of over 1 million as well.

If you add these 4 countries up (the offical numbers, not made up by fans!), you have 15.6m + 1.5m + 3.7m + 1m = 21.8m!
    That doesn't even include Ireland, the rest of Europe, Latin America (where they are huge) and Japan.

So argue all you like, but that number certainly isn't too high! And you might have to reconsider your idea of them spending only 1-2 weeks in the top 10 in the charts. Certainly that's not true either, especially right now with Story Of My Life which has had an amazing chart run around the world and was still the 6th most sold track worldwide last week (in its 7th week!).
    So please stick to the facts!

these are pretty huge figures
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    these are pretty huge figures

... and currently growing by about 700k to 1 million (albums and singles) each week :)
  • musicjukebox123musicjukebox123 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know how much The Wanted and 3T have sold worldwide with reliable sources?
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Several things on that list surprised me

1 - Westlife have outsold Take That. While I'm no fan of either, I can understand why people would be fans of TT but can not begin to understand the love for Westlife who are one of the blandest, dullest acts ever to trouble the charts. Music for people who don't really like music

2 - BSB have sold 130 million but I've sat here for 20 minutes and can only think of 2 of their songs. Ditto NKOTB except I can't think of a single one of their songs. Amazing how acts can be so huge and yet pass many of us by completely.

3 - 1D. How can 5 such mediocre, average boys be so successful?
  • musicjukebox123musicjukebox123 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think in the UK BSB and NKOTB were far eclipsed by British and Irish groups. However both had one album go double platinum which is more than any of the other overseas boyband acts have achieved. This is probably why you can only remember a few singles.

The list is interesting however I would have started it with New Kids and New Edition so mid to late 80's when the term first came into effect. Jackson 5 and The Osmonds stick out for me as I can see where there are similarities but neither were called boybands during their time, not sure about Menudo either as don't know a lot about them.

As pointed out it's ridiculous that Beastie Boys are on there but the person who created the page seems adamant they are a boyband despite constant suggestions by others that they clearly aren't.

Despite certification levels slightly dropping in some countries you can see One Direction are selling the same as others have done aside from America where these acts could rack up 10 million plus album sales in the 80's and 90's but that's the state for all acts in America. They still have two albums that will eventually pass two million sales in America and the third also in time but none will pass 4 or 5 million in current climate I don't think.
    I think if you look at the countries 1D have done well in, there was a long gap for a new young boyband and this could explain why they have been so successful they also don't have any boyband rivals to split sales.

This is why i'm curious to find out how much The Wanted have sold worldwide as a comparison. I know The Wanted have sold 9 million singles but not sure about albums.
  • zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Several things on that list surprised me

1 - Westlife have outsold Take That. While I'm no fan of either, I can understand why people would be fans of TT but can not begin to understand the love for Westlife who are one of the blandest, dullest acts ever to trouble the charts. Music for people who don't really like music

I'm sorry, but who are you to say people who listen to Westlife don't like music? That is very rude to say - Westlife are just one act I like, I listen to plenty of others, so what? I presume you hate boybands in general since you dissed BSB and 1D as well. Just because you can't remember any of BSB hits doesn't mean they aren't relevant in music industry. Boybands attract millions of people - if you hate them, no wonder you can't remember any of the songs.

That is your opinion - but it is not fair to diss people who do like these boybands, including westlife. No one can't deny they are great singers, even if some people don't like their music. Plus, the success speaks for itself - they have obviously done something right to have such long and successful career. Everyone has different taste in music, it is ridiculous to judge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is why i'm curious to find out how much The Wanted have sold worldwide as a comparison. I know The Wanted have sold 9 million singles but not sure about albums.

I think that number could be about right for the singles, as Glad You Came alone sold about 5 million (3.6m+ in the US, 400k+ in the UK, 400k+ in Canada, 70k+ in Australia) and is BY FAR their best selling song. Judging from the certifications, I'd say Chasing The Sun sold about 1 million (200k UK, 70k Aus, 500k US, 80k Canada), so 9 million seems reasonable to me. None of their 2013 singles have received any certification anywhere in the world.

Their album sales however are terrible... Their debut album has only been certified Platinum in the UK this summer (300k); the second one was certified Platinum in April 2012, so I'd give them 400-500k for that one in the UK. Then they've got a Gold certification for their second album in Ireland (7.500 copies...) and a Platinum cert for the most recent album in Mexico (60k copies SHIPPED, not sold!). According to wikipedia, there's no other country they've earned a certification. So I doubt their album sales are a lot over 1 million, if at all...