New Kindle now for £109/149. Absolute bargain.

cribologycribology Posts: 1,992
Forum Member
✭✭✭
£109 for a 4gb wifi only kindle has my name written all over it. At least I'll be able to read all my pdf books/magazines.

Features:

All-New, High-Contrast E-Ink Screen - 50% better contrast than any other e-reader
Read in Bright Sunlight - No glare
New and Improved Fonts - New crisper, darker fonts
New Sleek Design – 21% smaller body while keeping the same 6" size reading area
17% Lighter - Only 241 grams, weighs less than a paperback
Battery Life of One Month - A single charge lasts up to one month with wireless off
Double the Storage - Up to 3,500 books
Built-In Wi-Fi - Connect at home or on the road
Books in 60 Seconds - Download books anytime, anywhere
20% Faster Page Turns - Seamless reading
Enhanced PDF Reader - With dictionary lookup, notes, and highlights
New WebKit-Based Browser - Browse the web over Wi-Fi (experimental)

Comments

• IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it on Amazon, it looks nice and the price is good. If this model had been available when I was deciding which book reader I wanted I would have given it a thought.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    cribology wrote: »
    £109 for a 4gb wifi only kindle has my name written all over it. At least I'll be able to read all my pdf books/magazines.

Features:

All-New, High-Contrast E-Ink Screen - 50% better contrast than any other e-reader
    Read in Bright Sunlight - No glare
    New and Improved Fonts - New crisper, darker fonts
    New Sleek Design – 21% smaller body while keeping the same 6" size reading area
    17% Lighter - Only 241 grams, weighs less than a paperback
    Battery Life of One Month - A single charge lasts up to one month with wireless off
    Double the Storage - Up to 3,500 books
    Built-In Wi-Fi - Connect at home or on the road
    Books in 60 Seconds - Download books anytime, anywhere
    20% Faster Page Turns - Seamless reading
    Enhanced PDF Reader - With dictionary lookup, notes, and highlights
    New WebKit-Based Browser - Browse the web over Wi-Fi (experimental)

I already have a Kindle 2 and am looking at the 3G+WiFi version, I could use the extra space for Audible content. I would never give up 3G on the Kindle willingly as I means I can download stuff no matter where I am.

A note for other Kindle users in the UK :
    The existing Kindle will be able to use the new UK store and Amazon will send a letter to your Kindle with details of how to switch if you are eligible (UK billing address). Existing purchases will still be available though the new store.

I was told the above by Amazon CS so it should be accurate.
  • weateallthepiesweateallthepies Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be warned that pdfs on a 6" device are bit hit and miss even with reflowing.

Great price though, glad to see they are all dropping. The wifi nook looks great at $149 if they ever release it here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have 5'' Sony and PDFs are OK, I can zoom the text. It's not very good with pictures, but then books I read don't have more than just a cover picture. I think 9.7'' is too big for comfortable reading and carrying the reader around.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No ePub support so you can pretty much only buy books from the Amazon store puts me off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    I have 5'' Sony and PDFs are OK, I can zoom the text. It's not very good with pictures, but then books I read don't have more than just a cover picture. I think 9.7'' is too big for comfortable reading and carrying the reader around.

Yeah it depends on the pdf, novels tend to be fine. Things that use page layout a lot like magazines and technical manuals are less successful.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant prices.
    Wifi version can of course work with a MiFI.

How bad is the webkit browser?

edit - To compete with the Iriver Wifi Story?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Brilliant prices.
    Wifi version can of course work with a MiFI.

How bad is the webkit browser?

Webkit is a damn good engine so it can't be that bad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But then should a book be able to browse the Internet? It's back to bells and whistles and possible compromises. It's there to attract the buyers, that they are getting more than just a book reader :confused: I'd rather they added an epub support than the web browser.
  • cribologycribology Posts: 1,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah it depends on the pdf, novels tend to be fine. Things that use page layout a lot like magazines and technical manuals are less successful.

Thats not what I wanted to hear. If I bought one I would expect to use it for pdfs/manuals 90% of the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cribology wrote: »
    Thats not what I wanted to hear. If I bought one I would expect to use it for pdfs/manuals 90% of the time.

You might be fine, I couldn't make it work for me so I now have a tablet pc for PDFs and keep my eink reader for fiction.

PDF is a print format so squeezing it onto a screen that is a different size to the printed page is always going to be difficult. You'll either not be able to read the text, or reflowing it changes the layout so some stuff just doesn't work as well. Some people get along with zooming in and moving around the page but the eink refresh is a bit annoying if you want to do that quickly.

Head over to mobileread and ask some Kindle users, I've used lots of eink devices apart from the Kindle so there may be some differences.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had a look on Amazon and it says:
    Native PDF support allows you to carry and read all of your personal and professional documents on the go. With Amazon's Whispernet service, you can send your documents directly to your Kindle and read them anytime, anywhere. Now you can add notes and highlights, use the dictionary look-up, and read password-protected PDFs. You can also magnify PDFs by viewing them in landscape mode, and zoom into any area of a PDF up to 300% and pan to easily view small print and detailed tables and graphics. You also have the option to have your PDF document converted to the Kindle format so that it reflows

So it doesn't natively reflow pdfs, they would need conversion for that. You'd probably be reading it Horizontal and zooming in for small text and panning around. I found much text was too small even horizontal on 6" and I didn't enjoy panning backwards and forwards constantly. You may find it is ok though.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I saw this on amazon this morning. It's a cracking price. However I've recently invested in a Sony e-reader so I wont be buying this. It would have been tempting but I wasnt keen on being tied into only being able to buy books from Amazon.com so I'm glad I went for the Sony.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps the big Kindle (9.7'') would be better for manuals with pictures. Or something like netbook or ipad, sans eInk display then, of course.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Webkit is a damn good engine so it can't be that bad.

PS3 browser also uses Webkit and it's pants. Just because they are using a good rendering engine doesn't mean the browser will be any good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I saw this on amazon this morning. It's a cracking price. However I've recently invested in a Sony e-reader so I wont be buying this. It would have been tempting but I wasnt keen on being tied into only being able to buy books from Amazon.com so I'm glad I went for the Sony.

I agree, I use an old Sony PRS-505 and atleast I can buy books from lots of different places, if Amazon added ePub support I would have bought a Kindle.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you add your own pdf etc books or only those bought through Amazon?

Can you add other formats like text files, html and word docs?

Can it be used to read comics in .cbr or .cbz format?

Cheers
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    Can you add your own pdf etc books or only those bought through Amazon?

Can you add other formats like text files, html and word docs?

Can it be used to read comics in .cbr or .cbz format?

Cheers

Yeah you can transfer your own files to the device.

According to the official website the supported files are:

Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, Audible (Audible Enhanced (AA, AAX)), MP3, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively; HTML, DOC, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP through conversion.

So no ePub which is what every other eBook reader uses.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Yeah you can transfer your own files to the device.

According to the official website the supported files are:

Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, Audible (Audible Enhanced (AA, AAX)), MP3, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively; HTML, DOC, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP through conversion.

So no ePub which is what every other eBook reader uses.

Cheers, looks very very tempting as I was considering an ipad for book, comic and magazine reading but this looks a better (and cheaper option) for what I want as I already have loads of ebooks that I read on a laptop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    Cheers, looks very very tempting as I was considering an ipad for book, comic and magazine reading but this looks a better (and cheaper option) for what I want as I already have loads of ebooks that I read on a laptop.

The battery life on the kindle or any dedicated e-book reader will be much better. Plus the e-ink screen is better than a back lit screen for reading from my experience. If you only want it for reading and are not interested in the other features the kindle is a better option than the ipad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The battery life on the kindle or any dedicated e-book reader will be much better. Plus the e-ink screen is better than a back lit screen for reading from my experience. If you only want it for reading and are not interested in the other features the kindle is a better option than the ipad.

I will add that you can't play Plants vs Zombies on the Kindle though lol :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    I will add that you can't play Plants vs Zombies on the Kindle though lol :D

But do you get to reading at all if you can play games, browse the Internet, etc? :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a few questions about this kindle. I know you can read newspapers and magazines on it, but do these have to be read online or can you download them for offline reading??

Plus now that the kindle is launching in the uk, will there be a uk book store or will you have to continue to buy from the US store??

Also what is the availability of books like in the amazon store as compared to say wh smiths, waterstones, the book depository etc?? Is it mostly the same books or do amazon have more or less??
  • fifilapewfifilapew Posts: 4,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    But do you get to reading at all if you can play games, browse the Internet, etc? :p[/

I find it really hard to concentrate on reading a book on the iPad, I always think, I'll just check Facebook or I'll try another level on plants v zombies lol! I also can't read in the bath or outside, although it's nice to not need a light on to read in bed.

I think if you want a device to read books on avoid the iPad, as marvellous as I think it is, it's too distracting for avid readers. I shall be sticking to real books from Now on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    Just a few questions about this kindle. I know you can read newspapers and magazines on it, but do these have to be read online or can you download them for offline reading??

Plus now that the kindle is launching in the uk, will there be a uk book store or will you have to continue to buy from the US store??

Also what is the availability of books like in the amazon store as compared to say wh smiths, waterstones, the book depository etc?? Is it mostly the same books or do amazon have more or less??

Newspapers and Magazines are automatically downloaded to your Kindle so you can read them offline.

They are launching a new UK Kindle store alongside the new Kindle. Given the number of books they have given I suspect this will have the same content the current store has but charged in GBP not USD and with more UK specific content.

They currently have 409,268 books available in the UK thought the US based store and I would expect this will increase with the creation of a dedicated UK store.

You can look at the current store here, make sure to set the country to United Kingdom as some books aren't available here and we have some books the US doesn't have yet. Looking at the Waterstones site Amazon have substantially more content available and seem to be cheaper (converting from USD).