Has your cat ever had a tooth taken out?

CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Were they ok after? My cat is to get a tooth out tomorrow and I'm worried as she hasn't had an op since her getting spayed about 9 years ago!

I can't help but visualise her lying there completely helpless under anaesthetic :(

Comments

• sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    Yep, a couple of mine have had to have one removed and have also been under GA for a good cleaning and scrape. They've always been fine afterwards - a bit wobbly and sleepy and occasionally a bit sicky afterwards. Swift recovery though - generally fine after 24 hours!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Yes my mums old cat only has about 4 teeth left! She was much happier when they were gone, as they were hurting her.
  • ribtickleribtickle Posts: 6,361
    Forum Member
    One of my cats, then aged 14, had to have all his remaining teeth removed, even though there was nothing wrong with them. He had a chronic gum infection which had made it painful for him to eat, and after a year of getting nowhere with steroids and antibiotics that was the vet's suggestion. I was very concerned about the op, because besides his age he was out of condition due to not eating properly.

But it all went well. He still has his canines, but everything else was whipped out, I think there were 17 extractions, and of course that all required a longer anaesthetic. He came straight home, dried blood around his mouth, and immediately demanded food, clearing a full dish, his first proper tuck-in for some time.

I wouldn't worry about the extraction, and doubtless they will clean the other teeth at the same time. It won't be a very long procedure or a big dose of anaesthetic for one tooth, but if you were very worried about the anaesthetic you could ask the vet to do a pre-op blood test, to check kidney and liver functions.
  • wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My old puss had all his teeth removed, and he was fine after a while, a big whoosy for a few hours, but he still managed to eat fine. I had to add his crunchies to the wet food to soften it a bit, but a part from that no problems. I used to call him the 'toothless wonder' :D
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had a cat which had almost all his teeth removed. I was worried about how he'd manage to eat but the vet reassured me that his gums would harden up and it wouldn't be a problem.

He lived with just a couple of teeth for many years after that and ate a whole tin of cat food in a day!
  • CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks everyone. Well Jess has had the op and my Dad is to ring soon to see how she is and hopefully collect her in a few hours time. He says she was good as gold on the journey over

I just wish I could be there to give her a massive cuddle and tummy tickle :(
  • tinmantinman Posts: 3,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope everything went ok OP,my cats gone in today to have some removed.
  • CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tinman wrote: »
    Hope everything went ok OP,my cats gone in today to have some removed.

Thanks, it went well thankfully.. I hope your cat's went OK too, give them a tickle from me (& Jess)
  • tinmantinman Posts: 3,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, it went well thankfully.. I hope your cat's went OK too, give them a tickle from me (& Jess)

Will do.
    It went well,Jasper came back with 5 less teeth and a £350 bill,thank god we have insurance.

I would all so make sure cat owners check the small print on their insurance details as a lot of company's don't cover cats teeth.
  • ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    One of mine needs a tooth taken out I think, she's got proper horrible breath despite the fact that all she gets is dry cat food.