Options

Celebrity Fitness instructor and model dies in freak accident in LA

HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
Forum Member
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/greg-plitt-dead-live-updates-4999016

Greg Plitt a kind of guru/ trailblazer to this generation of fitness fanatics has died in a freak accident in Los Angeles were he was hit by a train.

Hes worked with some big stars like Robert De Niro and Matt Damon and was a stunt double in Terminator 4.

Hes very well known in the fitness world as lots of popular uk fitness models downwards were paying tribute to him on social media yesterday.

Desperately sad ,so young and was on cusp of becoming a tv star stateside.

Condolences to his loved ones:(

Comments

• Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure i'd call it a freak accident personally. He was standing on a train track and was hit by a train.
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure i'd call it a freak accident personally. He was standing on a train track and was hit by a train.

Its all so unclear but I see your point.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    A friend of the family worked in the fitness world and used to be a body builder. She met him on several occasions and I believed that they worked together.

She's very saddened by his death.

Condolences to his family.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is a bit strange that he chose to be next to a train track when making a video. He must have been damn bloody close to it.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He had filmed at the same spot before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQpNZy_Ti50

Seems there are two tracks.. one is busy, the other isn't. So he would perform his exercise routine on the quiet track whilst big trains passed behind him on the busy track. Unfortunately it seems a train has been sent down the quiet track unexpectedly and he and the people filming him have assumed the noise was from the other track as normal. By the time they realised it was too late. One of the local news channels said the quiet track hadn't been used once the entire day they were there reporting what happened so I guess it was rare that trains were sent down it during certain hours.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Indeed.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    It is a bit strange that he chose to be next to a train track when making a video. He must have been damn bloody close to it.

Yes, very strange, but not a freak accident.
  • Options
    toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He had filmed at the same spot before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQpNZy_Ti50

Seems there are two tracks.. one is busy, the other isn't. So he would perform his exercise routine on the quiet track whilst big trains passed behind him on the busy track. Unfortunately it seems a train has been sent down the quiet track unexpectedly and he and the people filming him have assumed the noise was from the other track as normal. By the time they realised it was too late. One of the local news channels said the quiet track hadn't been used once the entire day they were there reporting what happened so I guess it was rare that trains were sent down it during certain hours.

How very odd. I read somewhere that the train was even blasting its horn. How on earth could a film crew of not see the train coming.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    toofast wrote: »
    How very odd. I read somewhere that the train was even blasting its horn. How on earth could a film crew of not see the train coming.

I think the issue with the horn is because trains passed by on a regular basis on the track next door they just didn't consider it out of the ordinary. Their attention must have been focussed on him doing press ups or whatever and not down the tracks. I'm sure they're asking themselves how they missed it too.
  • Options
    Tim_WilkesTim_Wilkes Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    Training on or near a train track. Well that was clever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tim_Wilkes wrote: »
    Training on or near a train track. Well that was clever.

It was a bit of a daft thing to do, even if the track was known for being inactive. There could have been a time in the future when one of the staff decided to send a train down it for some reason, like they did this time.
  • Options
    jxbrennajxbrenna Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I idolised Greg from the day i began training and i had the honor of meeting him around 3 years ago in Birmingham and ive got to say he was the most humble and friendlist person ive met and was a real gent, he atchually took to time to talk to me personally and was very happy to sign something id brought with me and had a photo with me. ill always carry that moment with me. :)

but on a serious note, everyone knows not to go on train tracks regardless of if they are in service :/
    my dad worked on the london line for a number of years and whist i was discussing Greg's Death with him he told me that one of the fundimetal factors is how long does it take before a person hears the train and the train hits them.
    there are reports coming out now that the driver saw Greg and was sounding his horn for him to move and Greg did try to get out the way but somehow lost his footing and was tragiclly killed :/ i think this was just a accident
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    I've seen rumours that he made it look like an accident (in that it wasn't unusual for him to film there) but was an intended suicide so that his family would be able to have his life insurance. I think they are just that though.

The eyewitness stories aren't pleasant.
  • Options
    CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel more sorry for the driver of the train.

He had no choice but to be involved in someone's death.

the other bunch of idiots did.
  • Options
    Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like suicide to me - reverse psychology stylie....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    I've seen rumours that he made it look like an accident (in that it wasn't unusual for him to film there) but was an intended suicide so that his family would be able to have his life insurance. I think they are just that though.

I'm not sure how strict life insurance payouts are but would they pay if someone was filming on a train track without permission and struck by a train? I'm not sure it would be straight forward even if they convinced themselves it wasn't intentional.

TMZ are saying he was attempting to race the train whilst being filmed and has fallen and been struck getting out of the way. I'm not sure if that means he was on the track ahead of the train or along side it and he's fallen into it's path. Either way it's still sounding like an accident.
  • Options
    matchmakermatchmaker Posts: 1,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

TMZ are saying he was attempting to race the train whilst being filmed and has fallen and been struck getting out of the way. I'm not sure if that means he was on the track ahead of the train or along side it and he's fallen into it's path. Either way it's still sounding like an accident.

Either way it's sounding like Darwin in action!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That could easily have been avoided if the above is true.
  • Options
    Tim_WilkesTim_Wilkes Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    TMZ are saying he was attempting to race the train whilst being filmed and has fallen and been struck getting out of the way.

Maybe he saw this and thought it was real:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSlTtr5NVUg&t=0m35s
  • Options
    alaninmcralaninmcr Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TMZ are saying he was attempting to race the train whilst being filmed and has fallen and been struck getting out of the way.

Even if he had succeeded, apart from being very stupid, it would have been extremely cruel to the train driver.
  • Options
    Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow he really wasnt a smart guy was he? Thinking that he could outrun a train because he'd necked a few energy drinks.
  • Options
    Fadge1968Fadge1968 Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    Bet he wished he'd eaten that burger now. What a chump.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow he really wasnt a smart guy was he? Thinking that he could outrun a train because he'd necked a few energy drinks.

Yep sounding more and more foolish now:

http://www.tmz.com/2015/01/20/greg-plitt-train-death-running-track-energy-drink-dead/

Stood on the track waiting for a train and then trying to outrun it on the track? At least that explains why it seemed no one saw the train.. they already knew it was there. Crazy. That's not energy drink.. that's something else.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,989
    Forum Member
    Sorry but what an idiot. It's not a freak accident, he was on a train track. If he got hit by a train walking down the street to Sainsbury's, that would be a freak accident.
  • Options
    jxbrennajxbrenna Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there are reports now coming out saying his film crew didnt know he was going to be standing on the tracks :/ just around them :/ they could have at least stopped him :/