Why Freeview Boxes do not have a DAB Tuner inside them?

joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,025
Forum Member
I know that a Few Freeview boxes like the Goodmans GBD5 and the Matsui Boxes have Dab Tuners inside them, but why cannot all Freeview Boxes have two tuners inside?

I thought it would be better if all Freview Boxes have DAB Tuners inside, so if you want to listen to the radio you can,
even your local ones all through your TV

I know that the Humax Freview HD boxes have the Internet Radio App, so you can select any Radio station you want via the Internet

What do you think, do you agree with me that Freeview or Freeview HD boxes should come with DAB Tuners inside them?

Comments

• DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would make sense as it'd free a bit of space on the DTT muxes.

DAB sucks though, we need to move to DAB+. And by the time we do, everything will be internet-delivered anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    i do like my Goodmans GBD5, maybe it is just a software issue as these boxes just have one aerial input, or do these boxes have other special chips inside ?
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe DAB tuners in Freeview boxes are so rare because of cost issues, lack of suitable chipsets, as well as lack or demand for DAB.
  • N.DeanN.Dean Posts: 1,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A TV aerial is not ideal for DAB, so you would need another aerial connection.
    The Freeview box would have to have a display so that you could see what you are tuning to.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do you think, do you agree with me that Freeview or Freeview HD boxes should come with DAB Tuners inside them?
    No, because without everyone having a suitable Band III aerial, it would be pointless.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,252
    Forum Member
    It's also a horrible waste of energy.

Instead of using a normal radio, you want people to power up a TV (most likely large format), and a freeview box too? You're talking about a few hundred Watts instead of just a few Watts.

TV and Radio should never have been paired together.
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lstar337 wrote: »

Instead of using a normal radio, you want people to power up a TV (most likely large format), and a freeview box too? You're talking about a few hundred Watts instead of just a few Watts.

Well they are powering up TVs to listen to radio stations via DVB-T. A DAB tuner probably consumes less power than a DVB-T tuner in the same box (less complex decoding).

The problem is the aerial system. You can pick up DAB off the down lead of UHF tv aerials but it's definitely sub-optimal. People in general are not going to understand or go to the trouble of fitting a Band III aerial. So to avoid lots of complaints about poor performance it's probably not worth the hassle.
    Forum Member
    Well they are powering up TVs to listen to radio stations via DVB-T. A DAB tuner probably consumes less power than a DVB-T tuner in the same box (less complex decoding).
    Which is why I said that TV and radio should never have been paired together, including DVB-T.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My LG KP350 has an option to turn the screen off when listening to music.
    Many new TVs do this now.
    But yes the sound might suck a little though.
    I never use my TV for this and use my N900 or Pure Evoke Flow most the time connected to my amps.
    Forum Member
    My LG KP350 has an option to turn the screen off when listening to music.
    Many new TVs do this now.
    Yes, I have seen this feature. It is better, but even with the screen and back light off, a TV is going to use more power.

I am guessing people who bother to turn the screen off, and users with A/V amps, are going to be in the minority.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    N.Dean wrote: »
    A TV aerial is not ideal for DAB, so you would need another aerial connection.
    Not necessarily. I run a feed from my TV aerial to my DAB radio with a marked improvement to reception over the inbuilt whip aerial it replaced.
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which is why I said that TV and radio should never have been paired together, including DVB-T.
    Using the TV to listen to radio is generally a rather bad idea. But I use a separate AV amplifier anyway, and my Freeview PVR has a button that puts it into radio mode and lets you select the required channel using the front panel display, so the TV doesn't have to be switched on at any point.

Much better than DAB!
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    I can select and play a radio recording from my PVR just by knowing which buttons to press and do not need to turn the TV on. Helps if it is an active recording or if it is the last thing recorded otherwise need to remember what else has been recorded since to be able to pick off the right thing from the Archive. Can playback either through my AV amp (for speech) or my hi-fi amp (for music).
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shame Freeview doesn't have the choice that DAB has in most areas. Absolute 80s should be on Freeview, yet we get a mix of BBC, Bauer (The Hits/Smash Hits), Global (Capital/Heart) and the low bitrate Smooth Radio.
  • N.DeanN.Dean Posts: 1,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Not necessarily. I run a feed from my TV aerial to my DAB radio with a marked improvement to reception over the inbuilt whip aerial it replaced.

I'm not sure that would work everywhere.
  • cdon77cdon77 Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    There was a big promotional push of DAB a couple of years ago. They should have banned it instead. We now have a situation where hundreds of thousands of DAB sets are now in existence in homes which would become redundant if we ever move to DAB+. Therefore there won't be a move to DAB+. Arrogance and stupidity rules for those making these decisions.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    There were big promotional pushes of DVB-T and DVB-S a couple of years ago. They should have banned them instead. We now have a situation where millions of DVB-T and DVB-S receivers are now in existence in homes which would have become redundant if we had ever moved to DVB-T2 and DVB-S2. Therefore there cannot have been moves to DVB-T2 and DVB-S2 and HD on Freeview and satellite is a figment of everyone's imagination. :)
  • cdon77cdon77 Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    drgeoff wrote: »
    There were big promotional pushes of DVB-T and DVB-S a couple of years ago. They should have banned them instead. We now have a situation where millions of DVB-T and DVB-S receivers are now in existence in homes which would have become redundant if we had ever moved to DVB-T2 and DVB-S2. Therefore there cannot have been moves to DVB-T2 and DVB-S2 and HD on Freeview and satellite is a figment of everyone's imagination. :)

DVB-T was pushed 10 years ago with the launch of Freeview, DAB has been going for a few years without success and there was lots of offers made available about 2 years ago, trade-in, DAB radio's sold below £20, etc.

There is quite a bit of difference where a mature technology Used in large parts of the world is superseded by a newer one which brings other benefits, such as better compression, HD, etc as in the case of DVB-T2 compared to pushing a technology which had already been rejected by most of the world and superseded by DAB+ as in the case of DAB.

It was wrong to continue to promote DAB and put more sets in homes when a better option should have been taken of moving to DAB+. Any move to DAB+ has been delayed for at least 10 years as a result of continuing to promote a obsolete technology.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    cdon77 wrote: »
    There was a big promotional push of DAB a couple of years ago. They should have banned it instead. We now have a situation where hundreds of thousands of DAB sets are now in existence in homes which would become redundant if we ever move to DAB+. Therefore there won't be a move to DAB+. Arrogance and stupidity rules for those making these decisions.

I have a DAB radio. It cost me a hundred quid several years ago.

I wouldn't mind in the least if it became obsolete and I had to buy a DAB+ radio. I've definitely had my money's worth and moving to DAB+ would be more than worth it.

Interstingly, while searching for a new mini-stereo, I noticed virtually all of them came with DAB+ (DAB compatible) recievers, so maybe the move to DAB+ won't be so far away.
  • lbearlbear Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Despite your niggles, radio listenership has gone up in the UK, a fairly unique situation worldwide, and is down almost entirely to people listening via Freeview and their tv rather than a portable radio.

While the sound quality from television speakers is far from idea, it is considerably better than that from tinny portable radios which is the yardstick against which most people measure.
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lbear wrote: »
    Despite your niggles, radio listenership has gone up in the UK, a fairly unique situation worldwide, and is down almost entirely to people listening via Freeview and their tv rather than a portable radio.
    Evidence?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,768
    Forum Member
    lbear wrote: »

While the sound quality from television speakers is far from idea, it is considerably better than that from tinny portable radios which is the yardstick against which most people measure.
    ...I would suggest that the vast majority of us still listen to radio daily using tinny portables (a 'frog' in the bathroom), clock radios (in the bedroom) and car radios - in our case all still stubbornly FM. We sometimes listen to Radio on the bedroom TV because it is easier than resetting the clock-radio. I also annoy the wife by using the TV red-button whilst listening to the radio - being able to access the TV red button services but listening to a (BBC) radio channel (DVB on the TV) would be useful for me!

It would be interesting to get figures for those listeners that actually listen to DAB radio by preference (rather than the usually available FM alternative provided on DAB radios).
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...I would suggest that the vast majority of us still listen to radio daily using tinny portables (a 'frog' in the bathroom), clock radios (in the bedroom) and car radios - in our case all still stubbornly FM. We sometimes listen to Radio on the bedroom TV because it is easier than resetting the clock-radio. I also annoy the wife by using the TV red-button whilst listening to the radio - being able to access the TV red button services but listening to a (BBC) radio channel (DVB on the TV) would be useful for me!

It would be interesting to get figures for those listeners that actually listen to DAB radio by preference (rather than the usually available FM alternative provided on DAB radios).

This thread is going a bit OT and straying into Radio forum territory. We were talking about putting DAB tuners into DVB-T receivers....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    This thread is going a bit OT and straying into Radio forum territory. We were talking about putting DAB tuners into DVB-T receivers....

Yes - but DAB tuners or DAB+ tuners? :p
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eston Bleu wrote: »
    Interstingly, while searching for a new mini-stereo, I noticed virtually all of them came with DAB+ (DAB compatible) recievers, so maybe the move to DAB+ won't be so far away.
    Don't count on it. That'll be so the same device can be sold across Europe. The UK radio industry has ruled out any introduction of DAB+. Ever. I don't think we will see another DVB-T(2)/DAB hybrid receiver either.