Lol. :eek:

Comments

• jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    And. What is she going to do now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adverts, marketing, Sports presenter. Why not.
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »

Could be a coach for the next Olympic team I suspect.
  • Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »

Strictly Come Dancing. ;)
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    from what? whoever she is, why shouldn`t she?
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's retired from swimming, not from working. She's no longer in her prime so doesn't consider herself able to compete at the highest level. Not sure what your 'lol' is really about?
  • candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's retired from swimming, not from working. She's no longer in her prime so doesn't consider herself able to compete at the highest level. Not sure what your 'lol' is really about?

in your prime before 23? Suggests you were never in your prime if you manage two olympics and then retire. Strikes me as strange. Micheal Phelps kept going for longer and actually kept winning. It just strikes me as a cop out.
  • tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    She'll have some porpoiseful career no doubt.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    in your prime before 23? Suggests you were never in your prime if you manage two olympics and then retire. Strikes me as strange. Micheal Phelps kept going for longer and actually kept winning. It just strikes me as a cop out.
    cop out of what?
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member

I think the same. I think she actually thought after Beijing that she was going to get Gold in London and when she only managed Bronze she realised she wasn't up to the same standards as the USA or Chinese swimmers and has quit to save face.
  • candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    I think the same. I think she actually thought after Beijing that she was going to get Gold in London and when she only managed Bronze she realised she wasn't up to the same standards as the USA or Chinese swimmers and has quit to save face.

sad but true
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In most cases female swimmers reach the top earlier and fade earlier.

And anyone calling it a 'cop out' has, I suspect, absolutely no concept of the effort and dedication (to add to exceptional ability) required to compete in top level sport.

Well done Rebecca, and good luck in the future.
  • Gordon ClownGordon Clown Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If she has the money to retire, good for her.

I wish I could retire at 23.
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member

I think you probably don't know what you are talking about.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    Swimming is an incredibly tough, gruelling sport. If she feels she can't compete at the very top any more, that's her choice. Ian Thorpe retired when he had just turned 24, so there's no shame in it.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    She must have a good pension scheme!
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Frood wrote: »
    In most cases female swimmers reach the top earlier and fade earlier.

And anyone calling it a 'cop out' has, I suspect, absolutely no concept of the effort and dedication (to add to exceptional ability) required to compete in top level sport.

Well done Rebecca, and good luck in the future.

Sharron Davies was a competitive swimmer for much longer than Rebecca Addlington. Addlington in my opinion is not as good as everyone makes out.
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    Two gold medals is two more than most competitors can even dream about. She is retiring from competitive swimming not life. Anyone for instance recall Duncan Goodhew...?
  • premixxedpremixxed Posts: 3,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I peaked at eighteen too. :p

Is it physical? Or too much too fast (financially)

Shoot me down but she seemed more interested in shoes over swimming after Beijing.

Katie Ledecky will leave the real legacy.

Two golds though, brilliant, should have been more.

Think I'll look at Frankie Boyles tweets as to why she has retired.

I don't want the news spoon fed to me.
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Aka, is past her prime. She can't compete with the elite any more so rather than carry on investing a huge amount of time and effort being an also ran, retire as an Olympic medal winner rather than fail to achieve the levels reached at her peak.

Better to go out on top (albeit with a bronze rather than a gold) than desperately trying to cling onto past glories.

Alternatively she could try training harder, use a different coach, tweak her diet to try and be competitive on the world stage again, but perhaps she's already done that and realised her best isn't good enough any more.

I'd love to have been in her situation - be able to retire at only 23 being a World and Olympic champion.

I wish her success in whatever she chooses to do with the rest of her life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    Sharron Davies was a competitive swimmer for much longer than Rebecca Addlington. Addlington in my opinion is not as good as everyone makes out.

How many Olympic gold medals did Sharron Davies win?

Rebecca won 2 at the same games. Not bad, if you ask me ;)
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Davies retired in 1980 (aged 18) - then had a brief comeback a few years later.

Adlington broke one of the great world records - and still holds it. She's every but as good as experts reckon.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,422
    Forum Member

Perhaps she'd like to 'have a life' - she's got to 23 without ever having one.
  • OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought this said "dies" when I first looked at it!
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glyn W wrote: »
    Strictly Come Dancing. ;)

I can imagine she'll now be doing the rounds of reality telly for the next few years, maybe adverts too.

She seems a decent sort of person and I think bowing out now is probably the right thing for her. She was under a lot of pressure to perform in London, maybe she could make a comeback some day?

It must be lovely though to be 'secure' enough to retire at 23 though :(