is the hype starting to fade for One Direction?

coun3spicecoun3spice Posts: 671
Forum Member
✭✭
live while we're young single did not chart impressively the way it was predicted to be.. based on the pre order charts, youtube hits and twitter trending topic about it.

it hits a career high debut in usa at #3 but dramatically went down to #21 the next week

in uk 1D failed to score their 2nd number 1 after what makes you beautiful as it only went to #3 and after 3 weeks, it's now at #16

based alone to these figures and trend, is it fair to say or to have an opinion that 1D is slowly getting over to the hype that they've got? same with any other boybands in the past years

Comments

• CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe. But they've had a good run, and they've probably got some life left in them yet. Take That are the only boyband who've managed to make a long career out of it, but even they had to take a break, and their success is mainly down to the fact one of their members actually writes most of their songs.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's just a case in point their biggest fanbase is outside of the UK. And TBH look at JLs huge first two albums now the momentum has slowed and their latest single is struggling for a #1.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    coun3spice wrote: »
    live while we're young single did not chart impressively the way it was predicted to be.. based on the pre order charts, youtube hits and twitter trending topic about it.

it hits a career high debut in usa at #3 but dramatically went down to #21 the next week

in uk 1D failed to score their 2nd number 1 after what makes you beautiful as it only went to #3 and after 3 weeks, it's now at #16

based alone to these figures and trend, is it fair to say or to have an opinion that 1D is slowly getting over to the hype that they've got? same with any other boybands in the past years

It's always hard to have a world wide release and expect it to do well. They can't promote everywhere at the same time. I don't think they sang that song live apart from the tean awards which wasn't shown or one radio snip singing live. Plus the single had no new b side just rehashed singles off the last album. It will be interesting to see if the new single has a b side and of course the album is out the next week and again it will be interesting to se ehow that does. I wouldn't write them off just yet but to be fair with hype like they had it is very hard to keep that momentum going over time.

ETA thought the radio charts in USA were different and it slipped because of the radio play adds and is possible to climb back up when the radio spins increase?
  • zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking the same thing just the other day... Maybe the hype has finally calmed down a little. I mean, Simon did everything to get them to no.1 in UK: The Fabulous magazine, entire week on Radio 1 show, all the news in the media, not to mention that little stint on The X Factor... but they still sold 84k which is disappointing.

It will be interesting to see how well is album going to sell though... but judging by the Itunes at the moment, people are not that interested:

#63 USA
    #356 UK

Of course, the positions will be probably higher once the album gets released, but it still shows that the interest for them has faded a little.
  • Chris_WaltonChris_Walton Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    it's clear that the hype is dying down... they came back with a song that could have easily been on their last album, no step forward, no progression... but they feel even more stuck in their sound than other boybands...

Take The Wanted for example (quite like their music, hate the band)... they managed to step up a gear on their second album with Glad You Came as the lead single. A continuation of their sound, but with new elements to it... and it obviously did the trick by flying into the US top 5...

1D need to update their sound. If they do that with this second album, and release the right singles... well it might not matter cos they'll have picked a weak lead single in Live While We're Young and that might damage the whole campaign
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    I doubt they're too worried. Themselves and Cowell have all made millions out of it.
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt they're too worried. Themselves and Cowell have all made millions out of it.

the question didn't ask how healthy their bank balances were

they're doing ok, though there is a case for saying they're still one-hit wonders ;):D

but, i agree with a post above, they need to show a bit more progress with the music...even young people won't buy the same thing over & over. BUt their biggest potential problem is when this yrs XF boybands (yes plural:rolleyes:) get let out of the traps
    Forum Member
    the question didn't ask how healthy their bank balances were

they're doing ok, though there is a case for saying they're still one-hit wonders ;):D

but, i agree with a post above, they need to show a bit more progress with the music...even young people won't buy the same thing over & over. BUt their biggest potential problem is when this yrs XF boybands (yes plural:rolleyes:) get let out of the traps

Cowell was out to make money from them. He has clearly made far more than he ever expected he would, plus they have probably made far more than they ever thought. The incentive goes out of it for the management and the band once their bank balances start showing millions.
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cowell was out to make money from them. He has clearly made far more than he ever expected he would, plus they have probably made far more than they ever thought. The incentive goes out of it for the management and the band once their bank balances start showing millions.

yes i know all of that, it still wasn't the question:p
  • DynopiaDynopia Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are you purposefully being dense? That isn't what the thread is about.

Yes I do think they're fading, i don't see either XF Boyband this year taking their place though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are definitely not worried, but I'm sure Cowell cares about that A LOT:D I mean, he is always pushing them everywhere he can so I'm pretty sure he is thinking what else can he do for them.

I agree, 1D definitely need to make a step forward with their sound - I mean, I don't like Bieber at all but even I noticed he matured his sound. It's normal that every artist progresses with each new release but I'm afraid 1D are not doing that.Live While We're Young to me is actually a step backwards.
    Forum Member
    Dynopia wrote: »
    Are you purposefully being dense? That isn't what the thread is about.

Yes I do think they're fading, i don't see either XF Boyband this year taking their place though.

Of course it's what the thread is about. They are only becoming less popular because Cowell is taking less interest in them because of the MONEY.:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zeze88 wrote: »
    They are definitely not worried, but I'm sure Cowell cares about that A LOT:D I mean, he is always pushing them everywhere he can so I'm pretty sure he is thinking what else can he do for them.

I agree, 1D definitely need to make a step forward with their sound - I mean, I don't like Bieber at all but even I noticed he matured his sound. It's normal that every artist progresses with each new release but I'm afraid 1D are not doing that.Live While We're Young to me is actually a step backwards.

In interviews they said that the lead off the album was deliberately not too far away from their first so as not to alienate the fan base. They are still young and I don't think second album is the time to make a drastic change. GA, McFly and TT didn't make drastic changes from album one to two. Of course if they had and it had bombed there would have been loads of posts saying it's coz they changed tempo!
  • DynopiaDynopia Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course it's what the thread is about. They are only becoming less popular because Cowell is taking less interest in them because of the MONEY.:rolleyes:

Er no, they've been everywhere in America lately, it has nothing to do with cowell and money, yet.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were never that huge in the UK. They did really well with their debut and particularly WMYB but the reason they are so hyped is because they're huge worldwide and in the UK we (or at least the media) tend to get quite excited when one of our own do well around the world. IIRC their second single didn't do too well either although the album still cleared 700,000.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    They were never that huge in the UK. They did really well with their debut and particularly WMYB but the reason they are so hyped is because they're huge worldwide and in the UK we (or at least the media) tend to get quite excited when one of our own do well around the world. IIRC their second single didn't do too well either although the album still cleared 700,000.

OK I had to look up IIRC to find what it meant, so....

Interactive Illinois Report Card

Hmmm...
  • Andrew_DuncanAndrew_Duncan Posts: 1,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes the hype is starting to fade. Regarding the single, that's what happens when you hype a song up to be the best thing since sliced bread and it turns out to be a rubbish version of your debut single which wasn't all that great either. It was good but not great and the new song is generic and just rubbish quite frankly. Their image on the single/album covers haven't changed style at all and neither has their music so people will be getting bored. If they want to keep the hype they need to progress their sound and image or they will fall like a rock because this new era would has well have been a re-release of their first album for the lack of difference between them.
  • MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hype is always going to fade over time if you're main attribute is your looks. Their main fanbase is young girls - a notoriously fickle market. They change their fads as often as the seasons...
    I never really rated them on the X Factor - I always thought they got an easy ride as they just sang in unison the whole time and never really showed any talent as a band.
    However if they can change this, and do what JLS are trying to accomplish at the moment - which is sustaining a more mature audience, then they will stay around for a while. But teenage girls move on so quickly they'd be silly to try and keep to this one market.
  • LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think they've ever been that big. They've had a fair amount of success but much like Justin Beiber, I think their success has been overexaggerated because of an extremely vocal fanbase on Twitter. Their discography, chart positions and certifications aren't that impressive either in comparison to their hype.

The exact same is happening with one of the boybands on X Factor. They're constantly trending on Twitter so it looks like they're popular but they were in the bottom 2 the other week.
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    twingle wrote: »
    It's always hard to have a world wide release and expect it to do well. They can't promote everywhere at the same time. I don't think they sang that song live apart from the tean awards which wasn't shown or one radio snip singing live. Plus the single had no new b side just rehashed singles off the last album. It will be interesting to see if the new single has a b side and of course the album is out the next week and again it will be interesting to se ehow that does. I wouldn't write them off just yet but to be fair with hype like they had it is very hard to keep that momentum going over time.

ETA thought the radio charts in USA were different and it slipped because of the radio play adds and is possible to climb back up when the radio spins increase?

this. In the US they had huge digital sales which dropped 2nd week which is normal. Their airplay will increase.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LW09 wrote: »
    I don't think they've ever been that big. They've had a fair amount of success but much like Justin Beiber, I think their success has been overexaggerated because of an extremely vocal fanbase on Twitter. Their discography, chart positions and certifications aren't that impressive either in comparison to their hype.

The exact same is happening with one of the boybands on X Factor. They're constantly trending on Twitter so it looks like they're popular but they were in the bottom 2 the other week.

I completely agree with this. I think that media and social networks are creating this hype. If you look at the sales - there are rather low considering all of that hype around them. I mean, 3 million album sales worldwide is not that impressive and 700 000 in UK is just a solid amount.
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've never been big over here in the UK and I'm sure Simon etc don't really care about that seeing as they're raking in the money from bigger music markets such as the U.S.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Casual wrote: »
    Maybe. But they've had a good run, and they've probably got some life left in them yet. Take That are the only boyband who've managed to make a long career out of it, but even they had to take a break, and their success is mainly down to the fact one of their members actually writes most of their songs.

Westlife (or Coverlife as I like to call them) had a long career too, but I don't know how they managed to keep singing dull ballads and covers for 14 years :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westlife (or Coverlife as I like to call them) had a long career too, but I don't know how they managed to keep singing dull ballads and covers for 14 years :confused:

They managed that thanks to loyal fan base who loved their work and also the fact that they always managed to progress, even for just a little bit, with each new release. Covers thing is 90% Cowell/Walsh fault (10% is themselves because they didn't have the balls to stand up more against the covers) because they kept pushing them to release covers. I'm actually very surprised that 1D doesn't have 1 cover on the album since Simon is crazy about them.

It is sad that people who weren't WL's fans, like yourself, couldn't hear other songs that were much better than covers. Again, that's mostly Simon's fault.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zeze88 wrote: »
    I completely agree with this. I think that media and social networks are creating this hype. If you look at the sales - there are rather low considering all of that hype around them. I mean, 3 million album sales worldwide is not that impressive and 700 000 in UK is just a solid amount.

They might be low considering their YT hits and twitter fans BUT they are pretty impressive in today's market which sales wise is the pits!