O2....anybody lost signal just now?

sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm on my wifi....

No service on signal so can't get texts/calls. It's been dodgy all weekend. Anybody got issues..?!

Comments

• Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing on the status page. Must be either your phone or a local mast area. Try restarting your phone.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im having probs on Vodafone, everytime i send a text, it comes up error, so i retry, then it says message sent, but im not getting any replies, so putting it down to the weather, as its pretty bad here in the Nth East.
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That happened to be one morning last week, I lost 02 signal for a good 10mins while at work. Yet a guy at work also on 02 had 3 bars out of 4. Work usally had 4 bars out of 4 for signal.

Darrenh
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With o2 I'm CONSTANTLY losing signal.
  • Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I and several others are absolutely convinced that the signal in our area has not been as good since that major outage in the middle of last year.

However, no scientific evidence to back up such a theory, but who knows. O2 would never admit to such a thing.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Like EE they are in Urban areas upgrading a lot of sites in the next few months. Reduced power or complete switch offs will occur. Usually on the status page though unless for a short period ie 10 mins or so. However taking one mast out generally takes an hour to calm down as all the phones switchback and the nearby sites see a reduction in traffic.
  • dontpannicdontpannic Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I and several others are absolutely convinced that the signal in our area has not been as good since that major outage in the middle of last year.

However, no scientific evidence to back up such a theory, but who knows. O2 would never admit to such a thing.

You're just trying to make a link between the two when in all likelihood there is no link at all.

The outage last year was caused by a network registration server going down. Whenever a phone would try to connect to the network it would normally communicate with this server and the server would confirm if the handset was allowed on the network. It would have nothing to do with signal strength or quality, and even if the server were still dodgy it would be thousands more than just you and several others. It would be all or nothing, not a degraded signal.

O2 have been just as good as always for me. Very rarely lose signal, and when I do it is in various parts of the country where I wouldn't expect a fantastic signal anyway.
    Forum Member
    Yeah absolutely no link between coverage or lack of due to last years outage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I may not have the best of mobiles an HTC Desire S but im starting to think 02 are getting worse. My signals been coming and going at times this afternoon while I was at work. Like it did one morning last week. Yet the 02 service status page says all is ok in my area.
    My mobile seems to be ok again now since I got home at 1 or 2 bars out of the 4 and text seems fine. I used to think 02 was a fine network but im slowly starting to think they are getting worse.

Darren
  • Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dontpannic wrote: »
    You're just trying to make a link between the two when in all likelihood there is no link at all.

The outage last year was caused by a network registration server going down. Whenever a phone would try to connect to the network it would normally communicate with this server and the server would confirm if the handset was allowed on the network. It would have nothing to do with signal strength or quality, and even if the server were still dodgy it would be thousands more than just you and several others. It would be all or nothing, not a degraded signal.

O2 have been just as good as always for me. Very rarely lose signal, and when I do it is in various parts of the country where I wouldn't expect a fantastic signal anyway.

I'm obviously not as well versed as you on the technicalities of the workings of the mobile network and therefore have to bow to your superior knowledge in these matters.

Slap my wrist for such conspiratorial suggestions! :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    As a network gets busier (more people are buying/using smartphones/tablets) the area that a 3G mast shrinks as it tries to manage the traffic on it. This you notice as reduced coverage especially at peak time. Depends if O2 have been investing in new masts or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My sister just popped in and said she was having 02 signal problems as well as this afternoon and she's got an IPhone.

Darren
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pop your postcode address into their website:
    http://status.o2.co.uk/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pop your postcode address into their website:
    http://status.o2.co.uk/

All it says is we maybe carrying out some maintenance on our phone masts in this area on 23th and 24th January. Nothing about any 02 prolems this afternoon.

Darren
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ney wrote: »
    All it says is we maybe carrying out some maintenance on our phone masts in this area on 23th and 24th January. Nothing about any 02 prolems this afternoon.

Darren

The website only shows ongoing or upcoming events. Doesn't show previous/resolved issues.

Last Friday when we first had snow O2 were having problems, noticed some people were tweeting about it.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    That status page is quite good. EE need one of those.
    Only problem is every postcode I put in around here said no 3G, no 3G and no 3G. I had to put in a code from my local Town to get a result. O2 really need to get thier backsides in gear. Apparenlty they are though, like headless chickens as one person put it. :)