Is 1080P 60FPS going to be the defining features of next gen console?

Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I did a little comparison tonight, here are the details..

Tomb Raider / Xbox 360 probably running 720@30fps

Tomb Raider / PC running 1080@60fps

The biggest and most obvious difference was the frame rate, without question, if the 360 version was also running @ 60fps I think the visual difference between the 2 versions would far less.

Yes, 1080P does give sharper, better defined images, but its not a stark difference IMHO.

Which leads me to the thread title, will folk be slightly underwhelmed with the next gen consoles. I think PC's offer a better gaming experience because they can provide that 60fps, the resolution, be it 1080, 1200 or 1600 isn't that important, not to me anyway.

So whilst the 60fps on the new consoles will be an absolute god send, I don't think 1080p will be what some people are expecting, I certainly don't think PC games at 1080 are that much better the 720 PS3 or 360 version.

Much of this is just my opinion, your opinions are welcome.

Comments

• VashettiVashetti Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the launch titles aren't hitting 60FPS.

Developers will always push graphics over FPS as it's easier to sell.

Quite a few (especially on the Xbox One side) aren't even hitting 1080p.

Those expecting 1080p/60FPS as a standard this gen are going to be disappointed.
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    Depends on the game.

GTA V is regarded as one of the best looking games this gen yet runs at well under 30fps and lower during busy times and is also 720p.

Fps and resolutions will be mostly used this next gen to score points during the 'console war'.Most people that are only interested in gaming care more for detailed worlds, realistic lighting, character animations and the amount going on on screen.

I don't think iv'e ever looked at what resolution a game runs at before purchase, nor have i looked at what fps it runs at, if it looks fun, I'm in.
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree if the game is good then 30 fps or 60 fps makes very little difference, also, a game doesn't need to be locked to 60fps to be silky smooth, frame rates as low as 40 are decent enough.

What I'm saying though, the very best of the current gen titles, I'm thinking Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us, could actually look very favourable next to PS4/X1titles (from a resolution point of view) minus the smoothness (fps) that most next gen games should be aiming for.

Don't get me wrong, it's the games that next gen consoles bring that will truely define the next gen, but I can't help but feel that gaming has hit something of a ceiling in terms of graphics for now. But I suppose the big leaps will be made in AI and larger multiplayer.
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Current gen games would be ideal if they can maintain 30FPS without dipping below. A smoother more even frame rate makes a heck of a difference.

Would love GTAV to be released on next gen or pc.
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think console gamers care all that much tbh. 1080P at 60FPS is something that pc gamers care more about. Before I bought a high end pc, I used to think, what's the big deal about games being 1080P and running @ 60FPS, does it really make that much difference to the game ?, until I seen it for myself and I thought, hell Yeah, now I can see and understand why the pc gamers go on about it so much. It's a whole different world. Saying that though, if you haven't experienced it then it's something you wouldn't bother about.

I once did an experiment with my xbox360 and my pc, a SBS comparison with BF3 and I was amazed at how much smoother and faster the game was on pc The attention to detail on the pc version was/is incredible and even now with the beta for BF4, the pc version is far superior to that of the 360. IMO of course :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once did an experiment with my xbox360 and my pc, a SBS comparison with BF3 and I was amazed at how much smoother and faster the game was on pc The attention to detail on the pc version was/is incredible and even now with the beta for BF4, the pc version is far superior to that of the 360. IMO of course :)

Amen Brother!:D
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    jokerz wrote: »
    Would love GTAV to be released on next gen or pc.

It's coming :)

Re 1080p/60 - I can grudgingly accept launch titles not getting to that res and framerate, but I suspect that it'll become the norm once developers are more familiar with the new hardware going forwards.
  • jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think console gamers care all that much tbh. 1080P at 60FPS is something that pc gamers care more about. Before I bought a high end pc, I used to think, what's the big deal about games being 1080P and running @ 60FPS, does it really make that much difference to the game ?, until I seen it for myself and I thought, hell Yeah, now I can see and understand why the pc gamers go on about it so much. It's a whole different world. Saying that though, if you haven't experienced it then it's something you wouldn't bother about.

Agreed, once you get used to 60fps 30fps does become very noticeable. It's the same with 1080p, you get used to the sharpness of an image rendered at your monitors native resolution. I rarely play on consoles these days, GTA5 was the first game I'd played on my 360 for quite a while and I ended up sitting right back in a effort to minimise the blurriness and jaggies, the frame rate I could do little about obviously.
    Dan27 wrote: »
    It's coming :)

Re 1080p/60 - I can grudgingly accept launch titles not getting to that res and framerate, but I suspect that it'll become the norm once developers are more familiar with the new hardware going forwards.

Developers will choose eye candy over frame rate and resolution, they've done it time and again this gen and there's is little evidence to suggest it'll be different this time.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    30 fps is not that different to 60 fps? it's a huge difference I don't not what is wrong with people when they think it's not that much, just clearly never played enough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    30 fps is not that different to 60 fps? it's a huge difference I don't not what is wrong with people when they think it's not that much, just clearly never played enough.

True but I think a steady frame rate is more important than a high one, I'd rather play at a solid 30 than have the game jumping about between 35 and 100.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jim_uk wrote: »
    True but I think a steady frame rate is more important than a high one, I'd rather play at a solid 30 than have the game jumping about between 35 and 100.

30 is fine at times or on certain games it's acceptable for sure, but it's just not good enough these days, I do agree with you when you get poor ports that drop from 70 to 30 in heavy areas, but it does happen a lot less.

Like a poster said you're missing out so much on 1080p and a constant 45 fps+ it looks amazing.

It is it bit disappointing for console players, but most won't care like many say because they don't play at different resolutions and higher fps enough or never had, the new consoles won't disappoint I'm sure :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    30 is fine at times or on certain games it's acceptable for sure, but it's just not good enough these days, I do agree with you when you get poor ports that drop from 70 to 30 in heavy areas, but it does happen a lot less.

Like a poster said you're missing out so much on 1080p and a constant 45 fps+ it looks amazing.

It is it bit disappointing for console players, but most won't care like many say because they don't play at different resolutions and higher fps enough or never had, the new consoles won't disappoint I'm sure :)

I don't know, there's a lot of unrealistic expectations out there, those who understand the hardware know why these consoles won't be doing 1080p@60 often but many don't, they're buying into the hype and bullshit, they think they're getting a high end PC for £400. I've even seen the old "death of the PC" nonsense wheeled out again.

On frame rates an example of what I'm getting at is Fallout 3 on my PC, I've modded the hell out it, I've turned the wasteland into a woodland and added a mod that spawns five times as many enemies, added to the cranked up view distances and super sampling it left me struggling to hold 60fps. It was leaping about between 30, 40 and 60, for me capping it at 30 was better than it jumping it about. Hopefully these games capped at 30 on the next generation will stay at 30, that would be a massive improvement on what this gen does.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as things improve from this generation to next I will be happy, this idea of 1080p@60 was kicking around at the start of this generation and the fact very few games have actually managed to hit that hasn't really been a problem.

I would certainly be happy to sacrifice some res and frames if it meant a decent improvement to physics, AI, animations and the amount of models on screen at the same time.

I have been through my days of tweaking setting on PC to get the best FPS at the highest resolution and TBH as long as the gameplay is good no matter how bad the fps or resolution is that is soon forgotten once you're adsorbed into the games world.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jim_uk wrote: »
    I don't know, there's a lot of unrealistic expectations out there, those who understand the hardware know why these consoles won't be doing 1080p@60 often but many don't, they're buying into the hype and bullshit, they think they're getting a high end PC for £400. I've even seen the old "death of the PC" nonsense wheeled out again.

On frame rates an example of what I'm getting at is Fallout 3 on my PC, I've modded the hell out it, I've turned the wasteland into a woodland and added a mod that spawns five times as many enemies, added to the cranked up view distances and super sampling it left me struggling to hold 60fps. It was leaping about between 30, 40 and 60, for me capping it at 30 was better than it jumping it about. Hopefully these games capped at 30 on the next generation will stay at 30, that would be a massive improvement on what this gen does.

I have to agree with the comment about some next gen gamers thinking they're getting a high end pc for £400. I also think that when you see the trailers for some next gen games, that the footage is not taken from xbox one or Ps4 but instead, taken from a pc to make it look as good as it can be. I'm not saying that the next gen consoles can't make games look as good as that but I do wonder if it's actual game footage from that format.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes that's true but when I said they won't disappoint, I mean in the sense it will be a good step onwards from the last gen of consoles so most players will be happy they'll just compare to the last gen, though like you said they buy into thinking it's going to run like a high end PC.

That will just never happen at £400 for a console when you think of the hardware in a PC cost to make it happen.
  • Jon79Jon79 Posts: 1,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1080p/60fps does not make a good game. 30fps should be the standard and anything above that a bonus. For instance, GTA V running under 30fps doesn't stop it being a great game.

I think developers will always push the boat on visuals over fps but it does make you wonder why there's no customisation of visuals or resolution on console games.
  • dazzy71dazzy71 Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to agree with the comment about some next gen gamers thinking they're getting a high end pc for £400. I also think that when you see the trailers for some next gen games, that the footage is not taken from xbox one or Ps4 but instead, taken from a pc to make it look as good as it can be. I'm not saying that the next gen consoles can't make games look as good as that but I do wonder if it's actual game footage from that format.

you aren't allowed to show game footage that isn't from the console if its console exclusive. If they do then it has to be labelled as such.

If the game is coming out for the PC then they are allowed to show the PC version
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon79 wrote: »
    1080p/60fps does not make a good game. 30fps should be the standard and anything above that a bonus. For instance, GTA V running under 30fps doesn't stop it being a great game.

I think developers will always push the boat on visuals over fps but it does make you wonder why there's no customisation of visuals or resolution on console games.

agreed, a good game is a good game no matter what the resolution is or how fast the frame rate is but you'd think after all these years, the next gen consoles would be leaps and bounds ahead of this gen. With better hardware, you'd think they would have better resolution and higher frame rates is what people are getting at.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dazzy71 wrote: »
    you aren't allowed to show game footage that isn't from the console if its console exclusive. If they do then it has to be labelled as such.

If the game is coming out for the PC then they are allowed to show the PC version

Yeah I get that but what I don't understand is if the game IS an all formats game and say it's an ad for 360 or Ps3, why use PC footage instead of actual game footage from the console format that's being advertised ?. If u know what I mean. it's misleading.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I get that but what I don't understand is if the game IS an all formats game and say it's an ad for 360 or Ps3, why use PC footage instead of actual game footage from the console format that's being advertised ?. If u know what I mean. it's misleading.

Suppose it goes back to your original statement, doesn't look as pretty.

Very much like car adverts, shows a lovely car and highlights prices start at 15k. Then in little letters at the bottom, model shown gt super duper version price 23k !

If anyone falls for console is 'high end’ PC needs their heads examining. A high end PC always has and always will outperform a console. The only advantage consoles have is each developer knows what they are working with and try and get as much out of it as possible.

But you have to pay high end prices to ensure your PC will run ultra settings.

We will probably see next year 1080p @60 fps on next gen as I’m sure launch games have been rushed to some extent.

I’m very happy to be paying out £429 for some lovely looking games and expect them to get much better.Compare that on a same spend on a PC then you wouldn't be able to play most of the games even on low settings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suppose it goes back to your original statement, doesn't look as pretty.

Very much like car adverts, shows a lovely car and highlights prices start at 15k. Then in little letters at the bottom, model shown gt super duper version price 23k !

If anyone falls for console is 'high end’ PC needs their heads examining. A high end PC always has and always will outperform a console. The only advantage consoles have is each developer knows what they are working with and try and get as much out of it as possible.

But you have to pay high end prices to ensure your PC will run ultra settings.

We will probably see next year 1080p @60 fps on next gen as I’m sure launch games have been rushed to some extent.

I’m very happy to be paying out £429 for some lovely looking games and expect them to get much better.Compare that on a same spend on a PC then you wouldn't be able to play most of the games even on low settings.

Not really - a £399 Lenovo Z585 with an AMD A8 and 8gb of RAM can play some games at better settings and resolution than the current gen. BF3 ran at smooth 30fps at medium settings! And medium settings on a PC looks one heck of a lot better than the console version!
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really - a £399 Lenovo Z585 with an AMD A8 and 8gb of RAM can play some games at better settings and resolution than the current gen. BF3 ran at smooth 30fps at medium settings! And medium settings on a PC looks one heck of a lot better than the console version!

Can play SOME games at a better setting - in current-gen only - and costs nearly twice as much as a current gen console, with less exclusives. In what universe is that a good deal? :confused: That £399 laptop is out of date in a month when the PS4 arrives - for £100 less.

It's one thing about PC fandom I'll never understand. Nobody really argues that PCs outperform consoles - they just understand that it's a cost trade-off, as £300 for a PS4/Xbone at launch will last you a minimum of six/seven years with no need for upgrades. Try buying a PC for that cost that will last the same amount of time and not need upgraded to play the latest games! Yet PC fanboys will argue until they are blue in the face that PCs are more cost-effective - it makes no sense. PC gaming is more expensive, hence why it is mainly the preserve of gaming nerds and no longer in the mainstream.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To be fair BF3 is a year old, not even looked but how will it do with BF4?

I was more looking at next gen games and same game played on PC. I'm just presuming here but by the looks of it the next gen console will look a lot better than a pc with a budget of £429.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair BF3 is a year old, not even looked but how will it do with BF4?

I was more looking at next gen games and same game played on PC. I'm just presuming here but by the looks of it the next gen console will look a lot better than a pc with a budget of £429.

Probably have to go round checking the benchmarks on it. I don't have the Lenovo anymore as I got a full gaming laptop instead.

BF4 runs at ultra/high on mine on 1080p at about 30fps however if I go to 13687*768 then its a solid silky smooth 60fps!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    Can play SOME games at a better setting - in current-gen only - and costs nearly twice as much as a current gen console, with less exclusives. In what universe is that a good deal? :confused: That £399 laptop is out of date in a month when the PS4 arrives - for £100 less.

It's one thing about PC fandom I'll never understand. Nobody really argues that PCs outperform consoles - they just understand that it's a cost trade-off, as £300 for a PS4/Xbone at launch will last you a minimum of six/seven years with no need for upgrades. Try buying a PC for that cost that will last the same amount of time and not need upgraded to play the latest games! Yet PC fanboys will argue until they are blue in the face that PCs are more cost-effective - it makes no sense. PC gaming is more expensive, hence why it is mainly the preserve of gaming nerds and no longer in the mainstream.

I see it as cost effective. For one the games for PC are far cheaper than those of current gen and next gen consoles. Just take a look at the Steam sales we get to confirm that. Yeah I paid a lot of £ for my rig but I have saved a fortune on the games. So I see it as the £ I save on games will go towards an upgrade IF and when I need it. Consoles may be cheaper and last longer than gaming pc's but what u save getting a console, u lose through the price of the games.