Audi A3 - Changing a brake light

Hello :)

One of the brake lights on my 2004 Audi A3 needs changing. I've brought the bull but for the life of me I can't get the light cover off.

In the boot I've popped off the plastic cover to a reveal a plastic nut, which your meant to be able to remove with the supplied screwdriver from the car's tool kit.

I can't turn it.

Any ideas?

Comments

• howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    Have you tried an Audi forum?..., I'm sure you'll find one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently this is how. What a tool Google is.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_I_replace_the_rear_light_on_Audi_A3
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wmids_lad wrote: »
    Hello :)

One of the brake lights on my 2004 Audi A3 needs changing. I've brought the bull but for the life of me I can't get the light cover off.

In the boot I've popped off the plastic cover to a reveal a plastic nut, which your meant to be able to remove with the supplied screwdriver from the car's tool kit.

I can't turn it.

Any ideas?

Hi mate

I posted a thread about this exact same issue a while back. Couldn't get the light unti off for love nor money.

Basically the whole unit clips out with a little encouragement.

IIRC the screw you have undone secures the unit nearest to the boot. But you're still find it won't budge, yes?

What you have to do is pull that lose end out. The other end of the unit is secured to the body by two prongs (for a better word) that are a really stiff tight fit.

So, if you are standing at the back of the car with the unit in front of you. The loose end is nearest to you. You need to pull it out as though it is hinged at the far end (nearest to the filler cap). If you waggle it around a bit, gently but firmly the unit will suddenly slip right off.

At first it seems like you're going to break the light as it is so stiff but it will give eventually.

Once it is off you then have the fun of trying to prise off the super stiff clips on the back of the bulb housing.

This may or may not help. First diagram is from the back, the lower diagram from above to show direction to swing out the unit.

http://i33.tinypic.com/2mrtfo2.jpg

And yes, I am not an artist or a worker in the motor industry.

:D
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    IIRC the screw you have undone secures the unit nearest to the boot. But you're still find it won't budge, yes?

I can't get this thing to turn. I've flicked off the plastic cover in the boot to reveal a hexagon style nut with a slit in it. Apparently I'm meant to use a screwdriver to turn this nut.

It wont turn.

I've even gotten into the boot several times to try and put my whole weight behind it....It wont budge.

All this even before I try to pull the lamp cover off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't get this thing to turn. I've flicked off the plastic cover in the boot to reveal a hexagon style nut with a slit in it. Apparently I'm meant to use a screwdriver to turn this nut.

It wont turn.

I've even gotten into the boot several times to try and put my whole weight behind it....It wont budge.

Just out of interest, and I'm sure you have, but have you tried turning it clockwise instead of anti-clockwise?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It wont turn.

I didn't have this trouble. I got that nut off really easily. It was the rest of it that was a sod to do. I'm sorry, I don't have a suggestion for this problem. I didn't use the cars tool kit. Just one of my own screwdrivers.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all your advice, but I've given up.

I've bruised my hand, tried numerous tools and ways to unscrew the bolt but failed.

Looks like Audi are going to make another quick buck off me.