Problems connecting laptop to TV

Guys
This should be simple, yes? I've got an ASUS laptop running Vista, connected a HDMI cable into it and then into the TV, detected the external display, confirmed it's there but when I select the HDMI port on the TV I get nothing. I can't understand it. This looks like it should be a breeze but it just won't show anything on the TV screen.

Any ideas?
Thanks
TH

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes on laptops, you need to activate the external display... It might be on one of the f1 f2, f3 etc buttons at the top.., and you may need to hold down "Fn" at the same time.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you go into display properties do you see both the TV and laptop screen listed? If the TV screen is shown check what resolution and refresh rate it is using. TVs often only accept a few resolutions and refresh rates so try setting 1920x1080 at 50Hz(if it has it or 60Hz if not).

Of course it could be that the TV screen is displaying a picture, just the blank black desktop. :) Have you tried dragging a program window across one edge of the laptop screen to see if it appears on the telly?
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From another forum:
    "Hi X,
    The first thing I would do is get rid of Vista and replace with Ubuntu if you can't afford a copy of Windows 7 . Vista is forever giving everyone problems. Even MS has acknowledged that Vista was a complete mis-step and shouldn't have been released. Once you have a better OS your problems might disappear.
    HTH,"

Although you might want to try the above 2 first.
    Do you get any sound?
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vista has the Mobility Center which is quite useful for external display settings.

Type 'Mobil' at the Start menu.
  • TrollheartTrollheart Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    Thanks guys I got it sorted.
    First video I watched was a little unspecific, assumed I knew certain things.
    I found I needed to select "extend this monitor" or whatever it is and then I got my desktop wallpaper on the screen of the TV but nothing else. Checking further, I found I then had to, as chrisjr pointed out, drag the window over to the TV -- freaky how that works!
    Anyway, once I did that bob was your uncle and I was watching Bender on the big screen TV so all is now cool.
    Thanks as always for your help guys, appreciate it.
    TH
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows Key + P - then select your desired option. A nice simple shortcut for managing multiple screens. :)