Why do companies make false assumptions about Pirate DVDs?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Over the weekend I picked up the 3rd Family Guy Star Wars special from CEX.

I put the DVD on last night and was met by a annoying copyright video the DVD player basically forced me to watch. Now in the ad they claimed that if you buy a DVD from the shops the picture and sound is perfect. Ok fair enough.

They claim if you buy a Pirate copy the sound is horrible and the picture gets fuzzy and wavey lines. Where exactly do they get this info from? About 7 years when I was at college there was a guy who would always get Pirate copies of films and to be fair none of them had that bad stuff that film companies make out. The DVD was just like a DVD picture should be and the picture was crisp.

So why do they make these BS assumptions?

Comments

• stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I suppose filmed from the cinema screen they can look grainy and not very watchable.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose filmed from the cinema screen they can look grainy and not very watchable.
    The very bottom end of the market. Most copies though are are digital to digital ones so perfectly watchable.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Most of the time when your usual pirate DVD seller does a exact DVD copy then its done using a single layered disc so there's going to be some sort of compression to get the film and special features on to that disc so you end up losing some quality along the way.
    Granted theryre still watchable and for some people on some screens may not even notice the difference.

What would you rather them say?
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    I've never watched a Pirate DVD, but if it's being digitally copied from a genuine disk then I imagine it's perfect quality.

I think this is just a throw back to the time of endlessly copied videos, which really were often of horrific quality.

Personally, it offends me that they have to chuck these logos up at the start of legitimately purchased movies. It's insulting to remind me NOT to steal when I've already purchased the damn thing in the first place!
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    What would you rather them say?

I'd rather they didn't say anything TBH.

Much of the movie piracy these days is in the form of downloaded content anyway - so all you get is a stripped down copy of the movie without all the trailers, copyright/piracy messages etc. I bet even a lot of the copied DVDs have had this stuff stripped out.

The vast majority of people who get to see these messages are legitimate buyers - so who exactly are they preaching to?

Fine - if they absolutely must put them on - at least make them skippable - so people who have bought the movie legitimately dont have to sit through it every single time!
  • EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not only is picture and sound quality rubbish also money from pirate DVD's funds organised crime, paedophile rings, Al Queda, illegal immigrants and the Mafia and can also lower the price of your house.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »
    Not only is picture and sound quality rubbish also money from pirate DVD's funds organised crime, paedophile rings, Al Queda, illegal immigrants and the Mafia and can also lower the price of your house.

You been at the gin? :D:D
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »
    You forget the deadly incurable disease you get just by touching one.

Sweating, palpitations, disturbing visions of Simon Bates....
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I want to know is why when we buy a legitimate DVD or blu ray we are forced to watch these copyright things? We bought the bloody things so piss off. I can maybe get it at the cinema but a DVD or blu ray I've bought is clearly not pirated.....

Oh appears I wasn't the only one to mention this :p
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally speaking, I demand more than just 'fine' or 'ok' or 'acceptable' when watching movies.

I have a decent sized HDTV, blu ray and surround system, so I am able to watch movies presented in the best way possible.

You simply cannot get the benefit of HD picture and DTS or 5.1 sound from a pirate copy of any sort.

It's for that reason why I tend not to pay much attention to people passing comment on certain movies they have watched on a pirated copy or download of some sort, especially if they are trashing it.
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    You simply cannot get the benefit of HD picture and DTS or 5.1 sound from a pirate copy of any sort.
    ...unless it's copied from a blu ray (or other HD) source, of course.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,684
    Forum Member
    kendoguk wrote: »
    What I want to know is why when we buy a legitimate DVD or blu ray we are forced to watch these copyright things? We bought the bloody things so piss off. I can maybe get it at the cinema but a DVD or blu ray I've bought is clearly not pirated.....

This!! :p Those piracy adverts ("You wouldnt steal a movie") get on my tits - there was even one on an American DVD (The Pink Panther Cartoon Collection) :mad::mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    ...unless it's copied from a blu ray (or other HD) source, of course.

Exactly, I think they mean releases that are in the theaters.and would have been copied by a handheld camcorder in a theater, (Cam) or taken from an airline in-flight entertainment system, or a telesync (TS) (more professional camcorder copy). and are mostly horrible, unless you watch it on an iphone.

These days, most are blu ray rips, slightly compressed, or blu ray iso so one-to-one as an original..
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kendoguk wrote: »

Even worse - on some DVDs - you not only get all the warnings about piracy - but then get a message thanking you for buying a non-pirated DVD and supporting your local film industry.

First of all - how do they know.

Second of all - the best thanks they could give me is to just let me watch the f#cking movie I have paid for.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who in their right mind would pay for a pirate copy? If a thing is illegal, at the very least it should be free.:)
  • EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You speak of things of which you know nothing. Flight, Denzel Washington's new film, opening at cinema's this week is available to download in a full untouched Blu-ray with DTS in 1080. Piracy has moved with the times and although cam copies are available not many bother with them now because they suck like a Dyson.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sure cam quality rips are poor quality, but i dont really know would would want to watch one of those anyway as you just have to wait a few days for a proper copy of something.

But back to point that trailer stating poor quality piracy products has been misleading even when VHS (thats VIDEO for the heathens) was around as you could connect two VCRs together and copy them and they wouldve been the same as the original. Heck you could even BUY a video player with 2 tape decks and do it even easier.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    This!! :p Those piracy adverts ("You wouldnt steal a movie") get on my tits - there was even one on an American DVD (The Pink Panther Cartoon Collection) :mad::mad:

It gets to a state when they go over the top claiming breaking and stealing a car is the same as downloading a film. Of course it bloody isnt!

As to how people get these films Ive no idea Ive come to the assumption that someone who works in these cinemas are on purpose leaking a high quality version somewhere as when we were in College this guy had Anger management and it contained credits and no echo on audio.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Loads of films won't get a Blu Ray release because of inferior bootleg copies hogging the market.

Consumers are missing out as well as the production/distribution companies.
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    Some examples with evidence to back up that claim would be nice.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Misinformation breeds ignorance and naivety.

You can easily download and burn a 1080p film that looks as good as any retail copy.
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    They have to tell you the picture and sound quality on pirated DVDs is bad to discourage you from buying pirated copies. The same as the UK government wants to discourage romanian and bulgarian citizens from coming to the country by showing dismal videos on their TV. The truth is somewhere in between I guess.

I have many pirated DVD movies, concerts and docos and the quality of the material is very good. Having said that, I always find the quality of the original DVD to be much better and the sound to be much clearer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    Back in the heyday of VHS, I never used to buy pirated content of anything, because you did get inferior viewing on video. I had a video collection to rival HMV.......

Imagine how I feel now, knowing how much money that collection cost me, and also knowing that they are now all barely even watchable. I put one on not long ago, before I finally put my VCR to rest, and the quality of it was as bad as any pirate copy of anything I'd ever seen. AND it was "a genuine first generation copy." I was gutted! And now the entire lot of them are all in my loft, as I can't even sell them.

Now, I refuse to buy anything. As many have pointed out, the alternative methods of getting to watch things things days are pretty perfect, and lets face it, a few years ago they were saying that DVD was as clear as it could get. Now they say that about Blu-Ray. But it really is just a matter of time before both these formats become obselete also, so why bother shelling out the money to buy them, when eventually, you won't even be able to buy the means by which to play them!

Technology is moving way too fast. The alternatives, at least, move as fast as tech does. True, they don't have the "shelf appeal" that my video collection used to have, but at least I don't feel like an idiot anymore when looking at them sitting there, reminding me of how much money I've wasted, over the years.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some examples with evidence to back up that claim would be nice.

Was this a response to my post?

My post was a response to this on a Friday the 13th fansite:

http://www.fridaythe13thfranchise.com/2012/05/friday-13th-blu-rays-released-only-with.html?fb_comment_id=fbc_10150798438697553_21488601_10150798439277553
    Paramount Pictures will not be releasing the Blu-Ray discs for the aforementioned remaining Paramount films anytime soon! We are told that it is basically a matter of financial viability. Simply put, it is believed that the studio will not make back enough money to produce Blu-Ray discs of the films. Internet piracy is the main culprit as many of our readers know someone that enjoys downloading films illegally online. The practice is all but killing the home video market and Paramount is wary of this.

Yes, that's one studio but judging by posts from some h̶a̶r̶d̶e̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶c̶r̶i̶m̶i̶n̶a̶l̶s̶ posters on this thread piracy is indeed hitting sales and backlist titles would likely have low profit margins anyway.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    ironjade wrote: »
    Who in their right mind would pay for a pirate copy? If a thing is illegal, at the very least it should be free.:)

Banned films make pirating profitable.