Battleship

2»

Comments

• Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emmerich's Independence Day, for a start. And as bad as some of his others are, Bay's Armageddon and The Rock are far better.

Hell, there's also Under Siege if you want something on a boat (ship?).

This was just... awful. A couple of good cast members (Neeson & Skarsgård), although they were wasted. No interesting characters. The plot and characters and action were worse than a bad Bay/Emmerich film. The whole opening half hour was utter shite. Boring pointless cliched crap with the slacker loser brother and the hero brother, blah blah blah.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    I thought it was awful, one of the worst films I saw last year.

Yes, I know it's a "big dumb leave your brain outside popcorn movie", but there are so many *better* examples of that type of film. This was like a *really bad* Michael Bay / Roland Emmerich film.

I think it was way better than what Michael Bay has done recently.

Dont get me wrong, I enjoy Transformers for what they are, but I though Battleship was way better!
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Transformers films are rather bad (yet enjoyable), and of course Pearl Harbor is utter shite, but The Rock is a classic, while Armageddon is bloody good if you fast-forward the cheese with Afleck/Tyler before the mission starts.

EDIT: Ah, you added "recently" ;):D
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emmerich's Independence Day, for a start. And as bad as some of his others are, Bay's Armageddon and The Rock are far better.

Interesting choices - thanks. I think Independence Day is probably the closest comparison as it's also an invasion-type scenario.

Armageddon is a disaster movie and The Rock is just a plain action movie (only ever seen that once strangely enough).

I did like Independence Day actually - hated it on first viewing at the cinema, but on subsequent viewings on the small screen, I found I liked it better. Sure, it's also full of cheesy, cliched characters and jingoistic nonsense, but it's certainly enjoyable - although no more or less enjoyable than Battleship for me.
    Boring pointless cliched crap with the slacker loser brother and the hero brother, blah blah blah.

But with all the respect in the world, and not looking to start a row, what were you really expecting going to see a film based on a board game with the sort of trailers it had ?
  • WeetibixWeetibix Posts: 1,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was expecting the worst but ended up being thoroughly entertained by it. Leave your brain at the door on the way in and just sit back and be entertained. Great stuff
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was all a bit 'by numbers' but I did enjoy it.

My only problem (ignoring technical innaccuracies:D ) was the alien's motivation - couldn't quite get an angle on it which bugged me a bit. But not that much :D
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was all a bit 'by numbers' but I did enjoy it.

My only problem (ignoring technical innaccuracies:D ) was the alien's motivation - couldn't quite get an angle on it which bugged me a bit. But not that much :D

They were a team of scientists, scouts and explorers on a diplomatic mission and in search for a refuge for their people, who were being slaughtered by an enemy on their planet. They misinterpreted the U.S.'s probe as a friendly response to their S.O.S.

The U.S. was in the wrong from the start. For sending a probe and for attacking the aliens when they came.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was TERRIBLE.
    I rented it on Blinkbox - and didn't bother after the first 45 mins.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    They were a team of scientists, scouts and explorers on a diplomatic mission and in search for a refuge for their people, who were being slaughtered by an enemy on their planet. They misinterpreted the U.S.'s probe as a friendly response to their S.O.S.

The U.S. was in the wrong from the start. For sending a probe and for attacking the aliens when they came.

How do you know this?

I've seen it twice and I don't remember any of this.

I don't think I fell asleep during it :confused:
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When a film can make you appreciate Michael Bay a little more you know its seriously bad.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    How do you know this?

I've seen it twice and I don't remember any of this.

I don't think I fell asleep during it :confused:

What do you mean how I knew this? I got it from the film itself. The film tried to make us look at the 'USA! USA! USA!' mentality from a different angle, and the spectrum of patriotism and heroism by examining and contrasting old clichés with possible new clichés.

Like I say in one of my earlier posts, the film made that too subtle and the rest too cheesy to make it work. It's not an Alien Invasion film, even though it comes across like one. It's the director's fault, really.

Edit: I'd just been to the Battleship forum at imdb to see if I was the only one who saw the film that way. Glad to see I am not: here's one of threads that have some posters explaining actions in the film. I should have visited the forum earlier as I thought I was the only one. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »

I can see how you would think that - absolutely. BUT it wasn't consistent - there was no attempt at all at communication with Earth - and could equally be interpreted as they were the vanguard of a larger invasion force. But the Invasion motivation wasn't consistent either - especially the defensive approach and them being poop at fighting.

Meh - it was a sort of 'best without brains' type of film:D
  • Captain StableCaptain Stable Posts: 2,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the reason they couldn't communicate was because the communication ship was the one knocked out during the descent...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the reason they couldn't communicate was because the communication ship was the one knocked out during the descent...

That's why they couldn't communicate with their home planet.

There was nothing stopping them from communicating with us like This :D
  • frostfrost Posts: 4,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    guttridge wrote: »
    WHat did you think of this? Did it live up to the hype?

I went into seeing it not expecting anything great.

But I actually really liked it, I thougth it was a good and enjoyable film. The only aspect of it I didnt care for was Rihanna, who I actualy didnt realise was in the film till I saw her, she cant act.