Olympic anniversary event

Mark FMark F Posts: 53,286
Forum Member
Just heard I've won tickets through one of the sponsors for this event at the end of July.

Anyone else going?

Comments

• MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Mark F wrote: »
    Just heard I've won tickets through one of the sponsors for this event at the end of July.

Anyone else going?

To the Paralympic Sunday.
  • Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saturday and Sunday. Can't wait. Shame it's in the afternoon on those days rather than the evening (like the Friday). It was so atmospheric in the stadium last summer as the sun set. Still, as long as the weather is good. There's also a 'festival' going on in the park so you can extend your day.
  • blacksuit42blacksuit42 Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be there on the saturday :D
  • MGBCTVMGBCTV Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will be there Saturday
  • mlayzellmlayzell Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    Got my ticket through the post today for the 27th, cannot wait:)
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i am going on the saturday :)
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not going but look forward to the TV Coverage from BBC and CH4
  • Green_StampGreen_Stamp Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this part of the "legacy"?
    Forum Member
    If anyone is in London the following day, the first part of the park reopens on the Monday.
  • Posh BlokePosh Bloke Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    Will be there Friday evening. Looking forward to seeing the stadium again but hope it won't look too naked without the outer covering. Should be a good night :-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just hoping Jessica Ennis has recovered enough to take part. I see she's having a run out in a small event in Loughborough today. Fingers crossed it goes well and she can compete on Saturday.
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Can't wait till Sunday.

Been watching the IPC World Champs on More 4. Fantastic racing from Johnny Peacock, Hannah Cockroft et al. so far.

9 Golds, 6 Silver and 2 Bronze with 4 days to go.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    I was at the stadium tonight, a great night of athletics but apart from the last half hour or so the atmosphere in no way matched the feeling in the stadium last year. Don't know why this was but that feel good factor wasn't there, it just seemed more serious.
  • Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was at the stadium tonight, a great night of athletics but apart from the last half hour or so the atmosphere in no way matched the feeling in the stadium last year. Don't know why this was but that feel good factor wasn't there, it just seemed more serious.

See comments in main thread on this event but the reasons why it could never match the olympics was the opposite of being serious. It's like watching a football friendly. The Games are a warm up for many of the athletes for the Worlds.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    See comments in main thread on this event but the reasons why it could never match the olympics was the opposite of being serious. It's like watching a football friendly. The Games are a warm up for many of the athletes for the Worlds.

Sorry, maybe wasn't clear, I felt the atmosphere and spectators were more serious than at the Olympics, not the event!
  • bb2011fanbb2011fan Posts: 2,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a brilliant day today! The atmosphere was great and seeing a few Brits winning as well made you feel proud to be British
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried getting tickets but had no luck.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,286
    Forum Member
    bb2011fan wrote: »
    Had a brilliant day today! The atmosphere was great and seeing a few Brits winning as well made you feel proud to be British

Same here - where did you sit?

We were on the bend just behind the start of the 100m.
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Had a great time yesterday in the upper tier behind the 100m start.

The friends I was with were really lucky and got front row seats for Friday night on Friday morning, right next to the finish line!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    Same here - where did you sit?

We were on the bend just behind the start of the 100m.

Near me then!

Saturday was very good, lots of big names and a good atmosphere. the best event IMO was the Pole Vault - a genuinely world class form the winner with a 6.02m clearance which is pretty rare, followed by an attempt ob Bubka's ancient WR.

Bolt is a brilliant showman - clowning around in front of us before storing down the home straight to win the 4X100m relay.

Sunday was OK but like it appears on Friday, it lacked a little of the Olympic atmosphere. The best bit was the remaining 40K people who stayed on after the last event doing YMCA before the final 2 medal ceremonies.

Overall a great weekend of sport and I hope it does enough to show the we can and should have a big athletics meeting each year at the stadium once it's converted to football.
    Forum Member
    It was very good, even if Sunday felt a bit fake. Men's T43/44 100m aside, it seemed designed on the track to be designed to be a procession for British athletes to claim easy wins.

Having been fortunate enough to see David Weirs battle in the Games to win his 5000m gold, it seemed a bit of a joke for him to have no competition and just race round to break a record that is largely ignored anyway. It would have been far better to have had a proper race and get the likes of Hug and Fearnley along, even if it meant Weir might not win.

It was good fun, great to see a full house, but disappointing that the organisers couldnt look beyond filling it with certain Britain winners.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meepers wrote: »
    It would have been far better to have had a proper race and get the likes of Hug and Fearnley along, even if it meant Weir might not win.

Fearnley is taking a year out and Hug had the little matter of the World Championship marathon to win on Sunday morning.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was very good, even if Sunday felt a bit fake. Men's T43/44 100m aside, it seemed designed on the track to be designed to be a procession for British athletes to claim easy wins.

Ireland's Michael McKillop was always going to be coming in ahead of GB & Ni's Paul Blake, though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was good fun, great to see a full house, but disappointing that the organisers couldnt look beyond filling it with certain Britain winners.

It wasn't really a full house, though, was it. There were between 5,000 - 10,000 seats empty, mostly the 'expensive' seats along the home straight. A bit embarrassing for the athletes to be awarded their medals facing a stand of empty seats but their backs to full stands on the back straight.