Comments

• big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i really like my galaxy tab 2 10
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    really didnt like my original ipad, thats not to say you wont but it was costing me a fortune
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coz21 wrote: »
    I it possible to use google earth on a tablet?
    It's available as an app for both Android and iOS. The Android app gets very good reviews but the iOS app gets very bad reviews.

On a computer, you can also invoke it by visiting Google Maps in a browser and clicking the "Earth" button near top right. I don't know if that would work on a tablet.
  • Coz21Coz21 Posts: 1,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. How would someone who doesn't have a broadband connection at home, be able to use the internet on a tablet? Or if I wanted to go on the internet when I wasn't in the house. Is there some kind of card you can put in it?
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. How would someone who doesn't have a broadband connection at home, be able to use the internet on a tablet? Or if I wanted to go on the internet when I wasn't in the house. Is there some kind of card you can put in it?
    Most tablets come in two versions, wi-fi and wi-fi + 3G. The latter version costs more.

Wi-fi enables you to connect via the house's wireless router or a public wi-fi hotspot.

3G enables you to connect via a mobile phone system. 3G isn't available in some rural areas. Even where available it tends to be slow, unreliable and expensive.

It might also be possible to connect a tablet via wi-fi to a mobile phone, and then to the Internet via the mobile phone's 3G connection. I think this might be called "tethering" but I'm guessing there.

3G USB dongles can be used with laptops but I don't know if they can be used with tablets.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    Most tablets come in two versions, wi-fi and wi-fi + 3G.
    Its all in flux with the likes of the Asus Fonepad.

High end Android tablets(like the Nexus and Tabs) usually come with GPS system as standard. The 3G version of the Tabs also has standard phone functionality like the Fonepad.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    John259 wrote: »
    3G enables you to connect via a mobile phone system. 3G isn't available in some rural areas. Even where available it tends to be slow, unreliable and expensive.
    What makes you think this? I get 15Mbps broadband from 3 (far faster than my ADSL broadband) at very reasonable cost (~£12 for 3 Months/3Gb)
  • vincebenvinceben Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    The Archos 101 Titanium can be bought for about £160. It had dual core 1.6 prosessor, runs Jellybean, 10 inch sceen. 2 micro usb sockets on side. I just got one, build quality very good, runs TVCatchup with no problems. I have Temple Run 2 and a few other games and plays flawlessly. Internet fast. Its not an Ipad, but Seems very good for the price. Quality of cameras could be better but I didnt buy it for that. There is also an 8 inch available from Carphone warehouse for about £100 but don't know the spec.
  • PPhilsterPPhilster Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    What makes you think this? I get 15Mbps broadband from 3 (far faster than my ADSL broadband) at very reasonable cost (~£12 for 3 Months/3Gb)

Consider yourself in an exceptional position. Most 3G anywhere is not usually that fast, and not because it isn't capable of doing it. It's more to do with capacity saturation.

I'm glad I no longer have to deal with 3G as I get 33Mbps with LTE on my iPad 4, but I'm in America. I'm sure over time even 4g LTE will become saturated too.
  • JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i really like my galaxy tab 2 10

I have just ordered one of these - should arrive tomorrow. Excited :D
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,128
    Forum Member

Away from home there are lots of places where wi-fi is available now - MacDonalds :D, some trains, motorway services - that I know of and I'm sure lots more places.
    Just for info I'm with Vodafone and they recently offered me a card for my tablet for £5 a month that I could use to access the internet over the mobile phone network; I imagine most mobile phone network providers could do the same (can't remember how much the download was for £3 but it was pretty good).
    With regard to 3G when I try to use it on my mobile phone it's interminably slow.
  • Coz21Coz21 Posts: 1,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Away from home there are lots of places where wi-fi is available now - MacDonalds :D, some trains, motorway services - that I know of and I'm sure lots more places.
    Just for info I'm with Vodafone and they recently offered me a card for my tablet for £5 a month that I could use to access the internet over the mobile phone network; I imagine most mobile phone network providers could do the same (can't remember how much the download was for £3 but it was pretty good).
    With regard to 3G when I try to use it on my mobile phone it's interminably slow.

Thanks, I was thinking for when I'm in a car, or a caravan lol so wi-fi would be no good for that.The card sounds ok though. I wonder if you could just get it as a one off for one month?