BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »
    The 2 dannies? Aghh the dross on Saturday mornings danny baker does is truly awful...really weak text in stuff...i know he has lots of fans I've just never seen it or been one

Danny Baker and Danny Kelly used to do 6-0-6 when it started. They also had their own football TV show which was the beginning of shows like the Baddiel and Skinner type thing

Unfortunately D Baker is now well past it.............his phone in shows are a bit cringey these days.............but in his heydey he was a fantastic radio presenter
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    bespoke the cycle show though I think could have asked someone other than falling back on Colin Murray yet again...

Well...........this is another thing I have a problem with

I always find when R5 stray away from the main sports they are pretty useless

I've been following cycling for about 15 years so reckon I know quite a lot about it and the R5 Cycling Show was rubbish. It was all gimmicks because the presenters don't know anything about the sport.............so they do a piece about Wiggins, but it can't be about Wiggins cycling because they don't know anything about that..............so it's about Wiggins Meets Paul Weller

and all the features were similar.....what sort of helmet does Laura Trott wear, things like that........they hardly touched on the sport as a sport. No preview of big races to come, nothing about tactics, teams, assessing the main riders..........the things that they do all the time for football.

I've noticed the same for my other passion, horse racing..........when they stray into that subject it's very cliché ridden pop tabloid superficial stuff. They drag in their racing correspondant, Cornelius Lysert, and he talks to them like they're 5 year olds because in the conterxt of understanding racing, that's what they are

I expect that followers of other minority sports will think it's very amateurish when they talk about their sport, but I can only speak of the ones I know a lot about
  • Mrs MillsMrs Mills Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »

I've been following cycling for about 15 years so reckon I know quite a lot about it and the R5 Cycling Show was rubbish. It was all gimmicks because the presenters don't know anything about the sport.............so they do a piece about Wiggins, but it can't be about Wiggins cycling because they don't know anything about that..............so it's about Wiggins Meets Paul Weller

and all the features were similar.....what sort of helmet does Laura Trott wear, things like that........they hardly touched on the sport as a sport. No preview of big races to come, nothing about tactics, teams, assessing the main riders..........the things that they do all the time for football.

I've noticed the same for my other passion, horse racing..........when they stray into that subject it's very cliché ridden pop tabloid superficial stuff. They drag in their racing correspondant, Cornelius Lysert, and he talks to them like they're 5 year olds because in the conterxt of understanding racing, that's what they are

I expect that followers of other minority sports will think it's very amateurish when they talk about their sport, but I can only speak of the ones I know a lot about

The same has happened with the cricket show. I remember David Gowers cricket show - he wasn't the best presenter but at least it contained proper cricket discussion. Once it changed to Mark Butcher playing his guitar and the latest news on Mark Ramprakash dancing I gave up.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,280
    Forum Member
    I do quite like it when they try to cover a variety of sports rather than just talk about the big football stories like Talks "sport"do..

They do have a rugby/cricket and had a weekly "London calling" show so they do try to share sports coverage around.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danny Baker and Danny Kelly used to do 6-0-6 when it started. They also had their own football TV show which was the beginning of shows like the Baddiel and Skinner type thing

Unfortunately D Baker is now well past it.............his phone in shows are a bit cringey these days.............but in his heydey he was a fantastic radio presenter

It was just Danny Baker to begin with. He did present with Kelly at a later stage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    some great responses on here to all manner of items glad its generated some discussion -
    I wouldn't mind the mix of entertainment as well if it was balanced....
    In fact the sport part for me is so disappointing as its not a "sports" station really as it only ever seems to report on football mainly & golf....i always dread us golf being on as its all night...though does send me off to sleep well!
    But as olympics promised so much I vainly thought they may keep to their words & we'd get different sports but no....
    back to the same old dreary nonsense soccer stories endless drivel & pundits.....

For entertainment - I quite like the film reviews in fact more of that would be fine but
    I have no idea why they keep plugging Simon Cowells talentless show often over & above their own dancing show which is bizarre....

No fan of Stephen Nolan....he always seems terrified of the lawyers & backs off when anything vaguely controversial is discussed...i also object to paying licence fee to fly him over from Ireland every week & put up in a hotel when there are plenty of competent presenters
    domestically- but most of all its not interesting....
    Fi glover was superb...worricker...not fussed at time but catch him on world service & see the difference from todays output it was good quality then..
    Bacon was well suited to weeknights but maybe not days....
    The 2 dannies? Aghh the dross on Saturday mornings danny baker does is truly awful...really weak text in stuff...i know he has lots of fans I've just never seen it or been one

Oh & 1 more thing for now...maybe its cutbacks but since when did
    entertainment reporter Colin Patterson retrain as a presenter?
    & don't even start me on George Reilly though should be grateful gabby Logan is gone but could never stand shelagh Fogarty so its not much better there either...

Five Live is almost football free compared to TalkSport!
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Mills wrote: »
    Five Live is almost football free compared to TalkSport!

And that's why I don't listen to it!
    I used to listen to talk radio....when it became sport I.e. Football... Click!! Off!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You are right in a way... They do know very little about other sports....great interview on breakfast with Chris Boardman few weeks back...he defended no cycle helmet & headphones...Rachel B was aghast & you could almost hear the elf & safety trolls grumbling in her ear but he was the expert & they didn't know what to say to him.....

Mines motorsport & yet apart from F1 no other gets a look in...Danny Kent 19yr old gb rider took 2 world champ races in Moto 3at high level on world stage this year wasn't even on bulletins with Reilly on Mondays ....

Classic interview with Phil Williams Rachel B & Alan mcnish couple yrs ago...racing at Le Mans...how do U stay up driving 24 hours? Err...theres 3 of us share drive in shifts.....doesnt it get hot & cramped in the cockpit then?? Err no we drive 1 at a time there's only 1 seat....hilarious & woeful lack of prep - I met Allan after & we fell about laughing...the producer called him after apparently & apologised!!

But ....the trouble is if they don't put these shows on all it ever is is soccer phone ins & golf as that's what people who run BBC know & like....so I will commend them for at least trying to put other stuff on....james cracknell is a biker who rides in London so does have personal experience I assume - guess he's a cyclist too & there could have been far worse choice to present it... gabby Logan? Vanessa feltz? She's doing every other show on BBC radio!
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,280
    Forum Member
    Golf?

Heard much more on cricket/rugby and even tennis than golf TBH.

Only talk about golf when its a makor or ryder cup.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Did anyone hear Paddy Crerand loose his cool yesterday whilst being interviewd by Chris Warburton? Quite bizarre

He was asked a perfectly reasonable question about football crowds, I don't understand why he totally lost it. It sounded as though he had been on the sauce. It was quite entertaing though . Is Paddy Crerand normally like that ? I'm sure I've heard him a few times before and never heard him carrying on like that .

I haven't read through all the thread , but when I have I'll get back . The weakest part of 5Live is Saturday morning when they have a very stupid programme with people shouting and ringing bells and buzzers. I do avoid it , so I'm not sure if it is still on .
  • Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was listening to Tony Livesey last night and in about 30 minutes that I heard, they had a christmas present competition between two of the posse, an overlong intro to the Football chat, about 5 minutes of that then a silly quiz about celeb names that could be also be types of cheese which went on forever and then a rushed chat about football again up to the news at Midnight.

Is this really the best the BBC can offer on it's News and Sport station?
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    2)and what really annoys me is how often they are in a very interesting conversation with someone and having a good discussion when they break off for the news on the hour and half hour.....

5 Live, by necessity, has a bit of a split personality.

There are people on here who rage about the fact it isn't essentially a 24 hour news channel, who don't want to hear Richard Bacon's entertainment interviews, the sports coverage, etc.

Problem is there's only so much audience to justify so many talk channels. The BBC can't spend a ton of money justifying what it does on telly, and an entire station of quirkier presenters without a clear direction wouldn't bring in an audience.

News and sport brings people into 5 Live in the same way as music brings people into the other stations, then they're exposed to different types of programming.

Personally I think the balance is just right. News and sport is hugely important for the BBC, and the station also provides an outlet for talented presenters and formats that wouldn't fit anywhere else (Danny Baker, Fighting Talk, Richard Bacon, Mayo and Kermode). I get the frustration of having to hit the hour and half hour every time but a lot of people tune in specifically at those points for the news and then stay with the channel, so I see why it happens.

On the Salford thing - I suppose if ITV is going to centralise all its programming in London then it's not necessarily a bad thing that the BBC presents opportunities to those who want to progress in the media elsewhere in the UK, and eventually (not immediately, as most presenters will still be those who started in London) bring different voices to the corporation. I don't watch BBC Breakfast so can't say how badly it's affected them, but it seems to be ok on radio.

As to why 5 Live doesn't get as much talk on this forum. Generally the stations that get a lot of attention are either a) controversial or b) in trouble. LBC's the former and closed Scottish stations L107, Q96 and soon to close (almost certainly) Real Radio are the latter. 5 Live just does a decent job and doesn't scare the horses. The most talk I've seen on here has been about Richard Bacon, who is radio marmite. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing to be honest.
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    No fan of Stephen Nolan....he always seems terrified of the lawyers & backs off when anything vaguely controversial is discussed...

You should see his BBC1 Northern Ireland chat show. Oh my Lord. I know Northern Ireland is different but this is like Question Time but full of maniacs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    I listen very early in the morning from about 5.30, sports news , financial stuff and the general news. For all the minor holes we can pick in it , 5Live is a fantastic station . So much better than TV at that time which just repeats itself with exactly the same news and obsessive weather forecasts.

I'm out during the day , but I'm not one for phone ins, but I get to listen after 4pm, and again a good programme.

On the very odd occasion I'm in at 3.30 on Friday I do find that film critic totally annoying. Does he not realise that virtually everyone will not have seen the films he is referring to, and hasn't the faintest idea of what he is talking about ?
  • Flashy VicFlashy Vic Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe this thread is two pages in & no-one has mentioned Dotun yet.

A incompetent egomaniac of almost Irani-like proportions.
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,824
    Forum Member

You’re old enough to remember Peter Bromley. I think the racing coverage tailed off when he died – and i genuinely think it’s because the bosses were quite scared of him. He would happily wipe the floor with senior management with his legendary booming voice and foul temper!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    I listen very early in the morning from about 5.30, sports news , financial stuff and the general news. For all the minor holes we can pick in it , 5Live is a fantastic station . So much better than TV at that time which just repeats itself with exactly the same news and obsessive weather forecasts.

I'm out during the day , but I'm not one for phone ins, but I get to listen after 4pm, and again a good programme.

On the very odd occasion I'm in at 3.30 on Friday I do find that film critic totally annoying. Does he not realise that virtually everyone will not have seen the films he is referring to, and hasn't the faintest idea of what he is talking about ?

You are lucky with the times you listen. Some of the stuff during the day and late at night is poor.
  • andrewj123andrewj123 Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Black Crow wrote: »
    I was listening to Tony Livesey last night and in about 30 minutes that I heard, they had a christmas present competition between two of the posse, an overlong intro to the Football chat, about 5 minutes of that then a silly quiz about celeb names that could be also be types of cheese which went on forever and then a rushed chat about football again up to the news at Midnight.

Is this really the best the BBC can offer on it's News and Sport station?

That feature is on every week and only half an hour out of the 10 hours he presents a week
  • Musicman103Musicman103 Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    some great responses on here to all manner of items glad its generated some discussion -
    I wouldn't mind the mix of entertainment as well if it was balanced....
    In fact the sport part for me is so disappointing as its not a "sports" station really as it only ever seems to report on football mainly & golf....i always dread us golf being on as its all night...though does send me off to sleep well!
    But as olympics promised so much I vainly thought they may keep to their words & we'd get different sports but no....
    back to the same old dreary nonsense soccer stories endless drivel & pundits.....

For entertainment - I quite like the film reviews in fact more of that would be fine but
    I have no idea why they keep plugging Simon Cowells talentless show often over & above their own dancing show which is bizarre....

No fan of Stephen Nolan....he always seems terrified of the lawyers & backs off when anything vaguely controversial is discussed...i also object to paying licence fee to fly him over from Ireland every week & put up in a hotel when there are plenty of competent presenters
    domestically- but most of all its not interesting....
    Fi glover was superb...worricker...not fussed at time but catch him on world service & see the difference from todays output it was good quality then..
    Bacon was well suited to weeknights but maybe not days....

Oh & 1 more thing for now...maybe its cutbacks but since when did
    entertainment reporter Colin Patterson retrain as a presenter?
    & don't even start me on George Reilly though should be grateful gabby Logan is gone but could never stand shelagh Fogarty so its not much better there either...

I find him rather poor.

He seems to wind the callers up. For instance he wheels Edwina Currie in each week (she is an extremely patronising b***h) to abuse callers and he also plays devils advocate a lot.

There are also topics where he is out of his depth. Eg. Housing/Buy-To-Let/Mortgages, despite having dabbled in property himself.
  • Musicman103Musicman103 Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flashy Vic wrote: »
    I can't believe this thread is two pages in & no-one has mentioned Dotun yet.

A incompetent egomaniac of almost Irani-like proportions.

I've heard a lot of gripes about him but after listening, I just found his show boring.

The timeslot is perfect :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    p_c_u_k wrote: »
    You should see his BBC1 Northern Ireland chat show. Oh my Lord. I know Northern Ireland is different but this is like Question Time but full of maniacs.

That's very funny! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've heard a lot of gripes about him but after listening, I just found his show boring.

The timeslot is perfect :)

I guess it must be the most difficult slot because there's nothing live going on..............well, not over here

His show appears to focus on what's happening over in the Americas where people are still available to be interviewed

Not that I've listened to it for a long time............but I did used to enjoy the South American Football News Round Up
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I took an instant dislike to Stephen Nolan ..........he appeared to be the latest in a line of populist right wing presenters like Littlejohn, Ferrari, etc............the kind of people i don't like, radio Daily Mail types

Maybe I'm doing him a disservice but i always turn it off now when he comes on
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    p_c_u_k wrote: »
    On the Salford thing - I suppose if ITV is going to centralise all its programming in London then it's not necessarily a bad thing that the BBC presents opportunities to those who want to progress in the media elsewhere in the UK, and eventually (not immediately, as most presenters will still be those who started in London) bring different voices to the corporation. I don't watch BBC Breakfast so can't say how badly it's affected them, but it seems to be ok on radio.

I'm not sure why you think ITV is going to move all of its programming to London. ITV North is moving to Media City, the new home of Coronation Street.

http://www.mediacityuk.co.uk/our-community/occupiers/itv

Arguably it was an odd decision to move 5 Live to Salford because the heart of UK Government is at Westminster. In Ireland RTÉ have located their classical music station Lyric FM outside the capital (at Limerick) and the BBC could have done the same with Radio 3 (or Radio 1).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find him rather poor.

He seems to wind the callers up. For instance he wheels Edwina Currie in each week (she is an extremely patronising b***h) to abuse callers and he also plays devils advocate a lot.

Well I agree here....funny enough I sold Edwina Currie a piece of jewellery few years back then few weeks later bumped into her at a Belinda Carlisle concert!
    She was perfectly pleasant & polite really though maybe a little curt & abrupt but that's her manner I think she was quite fine to chat to
    anyway think its the yah boo adversarial setup they put on of right vs left same as when Gerry hayes vs Owen Jones & could really do without anymore Owen Jones im sick of his diatribes....

Anyway-
    For me....
    Breakfast....not too bad today....still think split doesn't work but was glad to see back of Fogarty ....

Derbyshire I don't get to hear much but don't mind her sometimes....

Fogarty - please see above....

Bacon...you know I quite like....i actually enjoy the moan,the tv reviews its quite a good mix & balance...think maybe because he isn't a football obsessive it gives a different feel to the channel..

Drive....now I quite like Peter Allen in his guise as crochety cynical old chap...usually out of touch with the gosh of x factor type bits & quite sharp with evasive politicians-he's more what it used to be in days of glover & worricker...probably watching his back as endangered animal when he sees what has replaced his fellow presenters around him....
    Anna Foster is a delight I love her as a foil & bright fresh but still sharp personality (I had phone in with her on sporting legends & she was lovely & knowledgeable of other sports)

After 7 it all goes off to matches & stuff so can't comment as doesn't interest me.

Livesey I first thought good replacement for Bacon but its a bit of a mess quite honestly....

I long for Anita Anand back (though that might be schoolboy crush speaking rather than serious review!) actually no...i genuinely thought she had a good balance of soft & hard topics & really enjoyable programmes...

dotun? I'm asleeep by then!
This discussion has been closed.