Sunshine Radio Shropshire FM

Hot HitsHot Hits Posts: 596
Forum Member
✭✭
Just was interested to know when this may be starting?? Frequency 105.9FM I heard ? Wonder if 855KHz will be kept in the long term?
Any thoughts anyone?

Comments

• LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I know there are no plans as yet to turn off 855 as the area is quite hilly from what I have heard and a solid FM signal would be difficult.
    We could do with an AM fill-in transmitter for Sunshine around here in some areas as it is not exactly flat ground here either :D
  • CraigSteele2001CraigSteele2001 Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I listen sometimes to Sunshine on 855 here in Northampton, and it sounds a brilliant station.

If the power was a little stronger though it would cure the fading in and out I suffer, but never the less I can still hear it
  • VictorianVictorian Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    In response to a text. Nick Jones said recently that the FM is due at the end of January. AM is definitely staying and I agree gettting a few more watts and/ or a better frequency (e.g. 603 kHz) would be good.

Nick has also made several comments that there are 'exciting things' going on at Sunshine.

It's all souding very positive for them I am glad to say.

Bearing in mind they are now only on what is supposed to be the unpopular medium wave, they seem to have plenty of advertisers and listeners.

I wonder if they could be in the running to take over those MNA stations?
  • crusher19860138crusher19860138 Posts: 1,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I listen sometimes to Sunshine on 855 here in Northampton, and it sounds a brilliant station.

If the power was a little stronger though it would cure the fading in and out I suffer, but never the less I can still hear it

You must be getting interference from Radio Norfolk where you live,also on 855AM,i agree,Sunshine is a great independent station,listen online for better reception!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You must be getting interference from Radio Norfolk where you live,also on 855AM,i agree,Sunshine is a great independent station,listen online for better reception!:D

I don't hear any interference from BBC Radio Norfolk.

If the radio is in the window sill, it still fades in and out as though the power is low and me not being able to recieve it that good, with living far away from the area the station covers
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fading is probably due to a miniscule frequency difference between Sunshine and R Norfolk.

I get a similar effect on 1458 with Gold Manc and R Cumbria.
  • Phil DoddPhil Dodd Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good news that people further afield can hear Sunshine 855 OK. I'm a few miles from the transmitter, in the designated reception area ( TSA ). After dark, especially at times of high pressure ( like now ), it is a battle between Sunshine 855 and Spanish National radio. There are in fact at times two sub-regions of Spanish National radio that broadcast different programmes, and both can be heard. Radio Norfolk doesn't get as far as here. I did try and persuade Roy ( Sunday mornings ) who is a well-travelled linguist, to phone up Spanish National radio, start jabbering away in Spanish, then throw in ...You're listening to Sunshine 855....
  • MrSevernSoundFmMrSevernSoundFm Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    But Will Sunshine Radio ShropshireFm Have A Webpage
    And Will They Stream And Broadcast Sunshine Radio Shropshire Fm Live On Line
    Yes Or No? Do Please Let Me To Know That Would Be Good
    Forum Member
    1) There already is a webpage: www.sunshine855.co.uk

2) They already stream on line (see comments above.)

Interesting to read top poster Phil Dodd's comments- I rarely get nearer to Ludlow than Gloucester- fine signal there during the day but virtually nothing after dark and I oftened wondered how good reception was nearer Ludlow overnight.
  • Phil DoddPhil Dodd Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Victorian wrote: »
    1) There already is a webpage: www.sunshine855.co.uk

2) They already stream on line (see comments above.)

Interesting to read top poster Phil Dodd's comments- I rarely get nearer to Ludlow than Gloucester- fine signal there during the day but virtually nothing after dark and I oftened wondered how good reception was nearer Ludlow overnight.

A listener Skip from Hereford can't hear 855 during darkness, thanks to Spanish radio. We haven't heard him mentioned recently, so maybe it's becuse of the darker nights.

Regarding websites, streaming etc, when the launch of FM arrives, there will be lots of publicity regarding that, because it is a major event in the station's history.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil Dodd wrote: »
    Good news that people further afield can hear Sunshine 855 OK. I'm a few miles from the transmitter, in the designated reception area ( TSA ). After dark, especially at times of high pressure ( like now ), it is a battle between Sunshine 855 and Spanish National radio. There are in fact at times two sub-regions of Spanish National radio that broadcast different programmes, and both can be heard. Radio Norfolk doesn't get as far as here. I did try and persuade Roy ( Sunday mornings ) who is a well-travelled linguist, to phone up Spanish National radio, start jabbering away in Spanish, then throw in ...You're listening to Sunshine 855....

Considering the 855 frequency broadcasts on a low power output compared to some stations it does travel far.

At the moment I can listen to the station until around 3.30pm/4pm then it disappears and can just about hear it when it's dark but not much
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    FM is definately going ahead, there is another albeit slightly older threat on the forums i've just posted in.
  • Hot HitsHot Hits Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No news on FM yet?? 1st March now. Does it really take this long??.. Anyone know an update??
  • underground_88underground_88 Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    bowland37 wrote: »
    The fading is probably due to a miniscule frequency difference between Sunshine and R Norfolk.

I get a similar effect on 1458 with Gold Manc and R Cumbria.

That would cause a whistle, not fading
    Forum Member
    The text on my Pure Evoke Flow wi fi wireless now says 'Sunshine 855/ 105.9' (or similar.) It does seem to be taking ages though.
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I listen to sunshine on 855 mw as well, good little station.
  • David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sunrise (audio) has been removed from the sky platform today.
  • Peace100Peace100 Posts: 3,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunrise (audio) has been removed from the sky platform today.

Wrong station David!!
  • samstone1samstone1 Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    Any more news yet? Seems to be taking a long time. Dragging on now..
  • Andrew RogersAndrew Rogers Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are still mentioning it on air as "coming soon"!
    Forum Member
    They are still mentioning it on air as "coming soon"!

I'm beginning to wonder if its going to happen. I'm sure they were playing the 'Coming Soon' ads last year. The station sounds good but music is a bit too boom boom now...
    Forum Member
    On a plus, they have new websites. Look good! The launch seems to be dragging on though...
  • MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,870
    Forum Member
    Posted today on the British DX Club email list by Martin following a query to local members about 105.9:

"As an engineer at Woofferton I can confirm that 105.9 FM is not yet on the air.

This is due to antenna issues that were out of Sunshine Radio's or Babcocks control coupled with BT installation errors. These have now been resolved and installation continues."
  • jack846jack846 Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pictures of the new transmitting antenna for Sunshine 855 are now on mb21(yay!!): http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/gallerypage.php?txid=1628

Can't be long now till FM switch on. :)
    Forum Member
    Nick Jones mentioned the photos this morning and said he was going to post them on Facebook for the radio anoraks!